2008 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Much better than expected
By james on 01/18/10 23:16 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First off, I wanted a Mazda 3 wagon. Wife vetoed and we got the CR-V EX-L AWD. It is a very solid car and is built well. The only problem I had was a third-party back-up sensor that was replaced under warranty. I am VERY happy with the vehicle. It's not a fun car, per se, but it does it's job well. The driver leather seats are holding up well, the placement of the radio controls on the steering wheel are great, and it's just really easy to drive.

Good but not Great
By wmacork on 01/04/10 15:51 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great Utilitarian vehicle, even in the EX-L trim. Not a thing wrong since buying over 2 yrs ago. Everything works well but just not excited about driving it. For the price there are too many things it doesn't have standard (lighted visor mirrors, fog lights, roof rack. Great around town but get ready for that "Singer" sewing machine engine on the highway.

Typical Honda - Great
By Rancher on 12/31/09 16:32 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my third Honda product. Previously Hondas were, a '90 Accord LX and a '95 Accord wagon. The wagon was my favorite all time car. It traveled all over the US for about 120,000 miles plus another 50,000 while being towed behind a motorhome. I'd probably be driving it still but my wife attacked a tree with it. She survived the collision with no injury but the crash was fatal for the car. The CRV is everything the wagon was and more. Our driving style is about 60% rural, mountain roads, 20% Interstate and 20% city. Gas mileage overall is 27+ mpg. Should this CRV come to a bad end, it will be replaced with another CRV.

One quality built and reliable CUV!
By MHadden on 12/21/09 09:03 AM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We now have over 33,000 miles on our CR-V in 22 months time and don't have a single rattle or creak (Japan built). Only a speaker has been replaced under warranty. Although the 2.4L I4 is pathetically weak, it still has decent pep around town and on the highway, especially when the rpms are high. The AWD is decent, though the traction control will kick in before the AWD does. We've only rotated the tires and changed the required fluids. Ride is firm, but both the wife and I like it. We've managed to get 25mpg over the course of ownership. It's still a great reliable vehicle for the price and feels much more upscale than a comparable RAV4.

Only Complaint: TIRES!
By Satisfied enough on 12/18/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was pretty upset when I had to change the tires at 20,000 miles. Pretty sure it's an alignment problem but I'm selling it tonight so it doesn't matter anymore! Seats are comfy to me. I like sitting up higher in this car. The power outlet is WAY inconvenient though. I have to trade out my Sirius and iPhone charger all the time and it's a bit of a hazard having to bend all the way down to trade them. And the other charger is all the way in the stinkin back...so no use unless I have a system! And the gas mileage drops considerably when it gets cold outside...other than that, it has been great! Oh and the brakes are really noisy if it's been raining outside. Sometimes a little scary!

Covered wagon
By tgp on 12/01/09 09:21 AM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a brand new 08. I was terribly disappointed in this vehicle. I felt like I was riding in a covered wagon minus the horses. Honda can do better than this! A lot of road noise also, I kept it for 10 months only.

Not recommending to buy a CR-V
By ngu on 11/30/09 17:31 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Mileage is poor. Getting much less than what they tell you. Getting 11.8l/100km as opposed to 7.6-9.8l/100km not achievable and company ad is misleading. AC compressor is not functioning properly but dealer just ignores it. Cutting in and out frequently and light dims when ac compressor is running.

Fun Little Pug!
By D-Glenn on 11/26/09 09:53 AM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is a fun little SUV, even though I can see some improvements. Note: I call it the Pug, because it's like an English Bull Dog. I drive this thing all over the Mojave (in So Cal) and it has survived my driving with few complaints. I did have a dead battery (that was covered under warranty) and I have had to replace the tires (after only 30,000 Miles). I have the leather seats and I have noticed some cracking on some of the vinyl side panels. Gas mileage has been an average 26 Miles per gallon. The Navi is useful, but has room for software improvements. I have added goodyear fortera tripletred tires, and after an alignment, got the best ride I've ever got in a Honda. But at $1k, I should have!

Uncomfortable, noisy, problematic
By unhappy on 11/23/09 17:09 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Driver's passage is very uncomfortable for anyone over 6 feet. Others have commented on head rests being poorly designed - I agree 100%. Highway noise is quite annoying, needs more insulation. Pickup is OK at best, but what do you expect for a 4 cylinder. My biggest complaint is that I have had to had the brakes worked on twice with less than 30,000 miles. I have minivans that are far heavier that don't need brakes until 50,000 miles or more, and I drive them the same way. I also had to have the differential serviced. The service people basically said you can't leave the car out in the rain because the brakes will collect water, which led to my problem.

Problem alignment not tires
By Joe R on 11/18/09 17:50 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I noticed that most of the 2008 CR-V reviews fault the tires and poor mileage. It appears the problem is alignment. I purchased a shop manual when I bought the car. Four attempts at the dealer to bring the alignment into 'spec' resulted in the car pulling to the left (read head-on collision if not attentive with constant input). I took car to a local alignment shop. They said an after-market kit exists for rear camber adjustment. Installed kit and now, mileage is up and car goes straight down the road. Problem now, Honda Corporate and dealer say warranty is void. Appears this is a generic problem with the '08.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.