2008 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2008 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Good by Expedition, Hello Honda!
By Marco in Florida

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Coming from a larger SUV like the Expedition, I wasn't sure how I would like the smaller SUV. It has room, comfortable ride, not noisey,very smooth on the road and highway, does great on gas, average 24-26mpg, the Expedition used to average 12mpg, so I'm very happy with the price of gas buying the CRV. I test drove the Escape, Rav4, Edge, Outlook, and a few other crossovers, and I liked the CRV the most. Other vehicles compared to the CRV were $3000.00-4000.00 more, and the Honda CRV had more to offer for the money. My wife owns a 05 Acord, and never had any problems. The 05 Expedition was always giving me problems, I'm done with Ford, and a happy Honda custmour for life!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, it really does get 24- 26mpg around city here in Florida. HWY MPG, I been able to get over 30-MPG average easy. Very roomy inside, quiet ride which is nice, and 5 star saftey rating, what's not to like!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had memory keys for the setting for mirrors etc. I also wish it could two just alittle more the 1500 lbs, but for a 4cy, it's great, has plenty of power for towing a small boat or wave runner.

2008 Honda CRV
By BDVANJ

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The decision was between a Highlander or a CRV. The CRV won. Very pleased with this car. Wife loves the entire package - her "favorite" car. Overall mpg from dashboard indicator is 22.3. But, if you divide the miles by gallons put in the tank, it's about 1 mpg less. Still not bad for a small SUV. Dual climate control is not very dual - there is only one temperature sensor. I had to add an aftermarket Homelink rearview mirror with compass and autodimming - should be included in EX- L.

Favorite Features

Style, style and style! Very manueverable,tracks well. Visibility, seat comfort, instrumentation, rear seat leg room, dash lighting,

Suggested Improvements

Homelink, memory seats, bigger gas tank, turn signals in rearview mirrors. Has anyone else noticed that voice recognition works about 10% of the time or is it just my voice?

Great Small SUV
By JD

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased the CRV-EX because I wanted a sunroof. I love the car! When I started looking for an SUV, I didn't want to look at the CRV because of the gear shift placement. The moment I sat in the car I fell in love with it. The interior design is sophisticated looking. I find it comfortable, much more roomy than the RAV-4. I average between 20-23 miles a gallon (City-highway) with fairly frequent hill climbing in the winter.

Favorite Features

Daylight running lights, courtesy light,dashboard lights and design, fold down tray in the center with the cupholders, tray in cargo area, reclining rear seats, 6 disc changer, sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

It has a decent amount of power, just wish it would have been available in a V6 or a little more umph on hills, storage for at least change and CDs. The side compartments in my old car were wide enough to hold a CD case

Nothing but love
By Steve B.

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've had the CRV for 3 months now, and have nothing but good things to say about it. It handles great in the Buffalo winter weather, looks sharp and gets pretty good gas mileage. We compared it to the RAV4 and are very happy that we picked the CRV.

Favorite Features

The interior and exterior design, and the as needed 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little better gas mileage. Some mid size SUVs with 6 cylinders get about the same gas milage.

Excellent small SUV for cities
By Rockwell

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We are of a small family living in Houston and only have a BMW 325 sedan, which has limited carrying capacity (and not ideal for shopping at The Home Depot). We thus need something that can carry a lot of cargo, is easy to drive in an urban environment with reasonable gas mileage. We have tested drove both the RAV4 and the CR-V. We found that the design of the CR-V is very thoughtful for small families and for woman drivers. Thus far, we believe that we have made the right decision. Many people go with the RAV4 b/c of the V6 power but review from this web site has shown that the V6 produces too much power for such a small car to be stable at high speed.

Favorite Features

Presumed good reliability. Ergonomics. Smooth-running engine with good low-mid range powers. Light and fast steering with reasonable feedbacks. Conversation mirrors, back-up sensors, fold-down center tray, light and easy to use lift gate, large and flat cargo bay, exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and passing power may be improved by an electric motor. Back-up sensors made standard. The "protrusion" in the cargo area needs a hook to efficiently secure the load. Vanity mirrors need lights. Firm ride—borderlined on being choppy. Some plastic materials could be more substantial.

Honda CR-V
By Kiel

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The CR-V is a great vehicle! I've driven about 1000 miles (good mix of highway and city) and the gas mileage is the best part thus far (low/mid 20s for city; upper 20s to low 30s highway). A good portion of my driving has been in snow/ice and the car handles great-I literally had to force the vehicle to lose control. I've seen many complaints about power, but there isn't lack of power (reminder: it's not a dragster!). The CR-V is extremely quiet as both engine and road noise are low. Even a 30+ mph wind didn't add much noise in the cabin. The rear cargo area wasn't as big as I thought, but it works for my needs. Lots of small storage places to put stuff, but some are a bit too small.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage...wonderful on highway and gives about a 400-425 mile range. Vehicle system monitor. Upper glove box. Three DC power plugs. Wide opening doors (all 4). "Knobology" of the cabin. Comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission sometimes is not cooperative. It's not that bad (it doesn't gear hunt as I've seen others say), but sometimes the car will hold in a lower gear a little longer than it should. Auxiliary audio port is great, but no ability for on-dash control is s little annoying.

Sadly Disappointed
By Sadgal

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the CRV LX for the sole purpose of traveling. Unfortunately the seats are the most uncomfortable I have ever encountered. In just a four hour trip, I thought I was going to die. I am sadly disappointed in the seats Honda has put in this car. I would not buy another.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good and it handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Seats need more padding, console is cheesy.

08 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD with NAV
By lancef

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Needed versatility,comfort,and good MPG. The CR-V fit the bill. We had no intention of getting the NAV system but once we saw what the NAV could do, especially with being integrated with the audio system it became a must have. We checked out the NAV's on Nissan and Mazda and the Honda Alpine unit just blows them away.

Favorite Features

NAV unit; voice activation with touch screen. Don't believe some reviews about lack of power with the engine; when the IVTEC kicks in you scoot. Alpine sound system is awesome (270 watts, 7 speakers including subwoofer).

Suggested Improvements

Driver and passenger flip down armrests need to be 6 to 8 inches longer. Fog lights should be standard for the EX-L (we added them).

Wife's Car
By Corky51

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It is a decent little SUV, flexible enough to haul some medium packages and still fun to drive. Acceleration onto Interstates is a little noisy but adequate. Cruising is a breeze and MPG was OK at 27 for a 2000 mile trip right off the lot. Coming out of a Lexus, the ride was a little "stiff" but vehicle tracked well and cruises along at 80 or so with no problem. I would expect more from Honda - compared to the larger Hyundai Sante Fe Limited, it didn't come close to the standard features, but definitely did in price. The sticker is pretty much what they want/get. Why did I get it, because my wife liked it - enough said. Given the competition would I do it again - probably not.

Favorite Features

Supportive seats, heated seats, nimble handling, XM radio (but everyone has that now). MPG indicator is nice but is only visible with a trip indicator, not just the odometer.

Suggested Improvements

Homelink, fog lights, electrochromatic mirror, lighted vanity mirrors, luggage rack, and heated mirrors should be standard for this level. If you want a 4 cyl, why not the 197 hp in the Civic? More hidden storage space. Didn't have the below seat drawer as advertised in brochure.

NaviConvert
By BMWDriver

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Test drove RAV4 but disliked the side- opening tailgate. Got CR-V EX-L 2 weeks ago. No regrets! Especially love the rear camera and the voice- command Navigation feature (e.g., you can ask it to find the nearest "Mexican restaurant" or to tell you what time it is). Amazed by the performance of a "weak" 166 hp engine! It is smooth and quiet. My other car is a 10-year old BMW 540i, but I prefer driving my CR-V EX-L instead!

Favorite Features

Flat floor pass-through between driver and passenger seats; Navigation system; rear camera; dual climate control; XM radio; brakes

Suggested Improvements

Lighted vanity mirrors; clothes hooks in the cargo area; cover for the cargo area (make it "standard"); larger time and temperature displays