Used 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Was excited now disappointed
By desertguy2

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2008 CR-V as a certified vehicle. Based on Honda's reputation, I was expecting a vehicle to be quite reliable. That's not been the case! First problem was tires cupping so bad it was terribly noisy in the vehicle. Even after regular alignment checks by Honda dealership! Finally solved the problem by having upper control arms added to rear wheels and now have a new set of Michelin Defender tires and good wheel alignment. Power door locks have been a problem. Have had to replace two already. My first problem was discovering no automatic headlights. What a dumb decision to leave this feature off an EX-L model!!

Favorite Features

Leather interior & seats, power driver's seat, sun roof, Sirius radio, roomy interior, quality interior materials, satisfactory gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Headlights, improve power door locks, add adjustment to rear wheels to allow better alignment to eliminate premature tire wear and cupping.

Great SUV with some exceptions
By azdesertguy

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My CR-V is great except for two issues that have really bugged me. 1. Noisy tires 2. No auto headlight turn off How in the world can a manufacture be so stupid to leave a feature off auto headlight turn off. I had the least equipped 2004 Vibe and it had auto headlight turn off. I figured the top of the model should have this feature. Talk about stupidity in the first degree!!!!!! Then noisy tires....yikes!! I have had people not wanting to ride with me due to the fact the tire noise is so high it would give one the impression the stupid wheels are going to fall off due to bad wheel bearings. Fortunately, I had this checked and all the noise is from tires....

Favorite Features

I like the response of the engine. Getting away from stops is fine. Ride is satisfactory, gas mileage is good. Interior features are good. Seating is comfortable and like the power driver's seat settings.

Suggested Improvements

1. Add auto headlight turn off 2. Better insulation or whatever it takes to quiet the road noise!! This alone is cause enough to where I wouldn't buy another CR-V. I've owned many cars as I have a lot of years on and have to say this alone is a killer for me as far as ever buying another one. In fact I don't think I will keep this noisy beast much longer!!

ok car but not great
By anna fekete

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, quick acceleration, cheap fabric interior, mileage only 24/gal- not great, very light, hard time drive in winter, tires bad after 2 years.

Favorite Features

Easy to turn on small space, acceleration good, easy to go fast

Suggested Improvements

better fabric inside, make it heavier

Love my CR-V
By Mary

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this for my new 16 year old girls, after my Odyssey died at 230,000 miles and getting myself a Pilot. The girls love this car! They can fit all their friends in it VERY comfortably, and have claimed they can fit over ten people in it if arranged correctly. The AUX jack is handy, and one daughter loves plugging iPhone in and being able to listen to music through it AND can talk through the car (without bluetooth!). Very VERY safe. Have never doubted Honda's reliability and never will. The girls have to fill up their tank, maybe once a week, and they do no highway driving, so they fuel economy is great! So impressed!

Favorite Features

CD/AUX features, AC/Heating system, interior design, safety features, seat belt warnings, and all the cup holders and other places to store things!

Suggested Improvements

too much plastic on exterior and cloth seats stain too easily

Honda is not keeping up
By Bb

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The CR-V drives nice when tires have less than 15k miles. After that road noise continues to increase to the point of major disillusionment. It's not the tires fault. It's the design. Honda relies on very soft, low mileage, tires on the CR-V to smooth out the harsh suspension. Do not put high mileage or fuel efficient tires on this vehicle! The suspension, or lack thereof, turns the CR-V with high Mileage or fuel efficient tires into a giant tuning fork. Steering feel is disconnected from the road but does react quickly to driver input. Makes me think of a video game. Lower end models with steel wheels do a little better. Already had to replace the AC compressor.

Favorite Features

Predicted resale. I hope sooner rather than later.

Suggested Improvements

Design suspension to accept fuel efficient and long mileage tires. Reduce noise Auto headlights Heated seats should heat back Improve stereo sound quality Improve material around windows. Squeaks. Exterior paint quality. Worst I have owned in last 10 hrs. Dual zone air cooling overhaul needed