Used 2008 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 291 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Loved it...until it hit 60,000 miles :(
By Sharon

2008 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a 2008 CR-V brand new, straight off the boat, and loved it. Friends, family, and coworkers had CR-Vs, and loved theirs also, until they all started to get hit by the "A/C gremlin" in about 2012-2014 - Complete A/C failure in sister-in-law's 2007 CR-V, friend's 2008 CR-V, and coworker's 2007 CR-V AND his 2009 CR-V! And they were NOT cheap repairs (except for my coworker's 2009 CR-V, which was still under warranty). Me? I got hit with rack & pinion failure - at 60,000 miles, just like many other reviewers on the internet. Estimated repair cost $2,100 !!! Honda gave me a bottle of power steering fluid and said "just keep topping it off until you can afford to fix it." But when I researched it on the internet, I found this is quite a common problem, and one with a fix that apparently does not last long. So rather than dump $2,000 into fixing the power steering leak which is known to be a recurring failure once you get it, I dumped the car altogether. Hondas are supposed to last - I bought it because I thought they had a reputation for long term reliability. 60,000 is NOT LONG-term, IMO. I hated feeling like I was sitting on a ticking time bomb, with $2,000 possible repairs with every oil change (and Honda would NOT help, despite knowing rack & pinion failure was a common problem). The original plan was to keep the CR-V until my daughter turned 16 (last month), then give it to her (and buy a new car for myself). Instead, I dumped the CR-V last year and bought a new Subaru Forrester. And now that I read about the failure in the locks, I feel reassured I made the right decision, because my CR-Vs locks always made strange noises, tho they had not failed....yet. I'm sure it was just a matter of time before they failed. Same with the A/C. I'm now looking for a RELIABLE used car for my 16 year old, and you can bet it will NOT be a CR-V :/

Gotta love it!
By T. Moore

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We love our CRV. We love the cargo capacity and we have hauled just about everything you can think of. We love the comfort of the interior and have taken many driving trips in it. Except that now that it is a bit older and the ride is getting a little bumpy, there is nothing we can say that's negative about this car. Except for the routine oil changes/maintenance, it has not seen the inside of a dealership or repair shop. When we trade it, it will be to get a newer one. We're just that satisfied.

Good basic transportation
By Walter white

2008 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Always keep up with maintenance schuldule and it will give you reliable safe transportation

Trouble free and fun to drive
By Bill

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Driven 138,000 miles over 8 years all over Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. Had a/c issue fixed under extended warranty at 98,000 miles. Replaced front brake pads (only) and rotor milled at 90,000 miles (I know!!) Original rear brakes STILL good - no noise or pulling. Oil changes every 3 or 4K. Halfway through 3rd set of tires. That's it! Other than gasoline (honest 24mpg city, 28mpg highway). I'm 65+ and still working. That CR-V is simply the best overall vehicle I have ever owned.

The CRV is a great SUV!!
By Ute Vilfroy

2008 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)