2008 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great SUV with some exceptions
By azdesertguy on 08/21/13 22:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My CR-V is great except for two issues that have really bugged me. 1. Noisy tires 2. No auto headlight turn off How in the world can a manufacture be so stupid to leave a feature off auto headlight turn off. I had the least equipped 2004 Vibe and it had auto headlight turn off. I figured the top of the model should have this feature. Talk about stupidity in the first degree!!!!!! Then noisy tires....yikes!! I have had people not wanting to ride with me due to the fact the tire noise is so high it would give one the impression the stupid wheels are going to fall off due to bad wheel bearings. Fortunately, I had this checked and all the noise is from tires....

ok car but not great
By anna fekete on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, quick acceleration, cheap fabric interior, mileage only 24/gal- not great, very light, hard time drive in winter, tires bad after 2 years.

Love my CR-V
By Mary on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this for my new 16 year old girls, after my Odyssey died at 230,000 miles and getting myself a Pilot. The girls love this car! They can fit all their friends in it VERY comfortably, and have claimed they can fit over ten people in it if arranged correctly. The AUX jack is handy, and one daughter loves plugging iPhone in and being able to listen to music through it AND can talk through the car (without bluetooth!). Very VERY safe. Have never doubted Honda's reliability and never will. The girls have to fill up their tank, maybe once a week, and they do no highway driving, so they fuel economy is great! So impressed!

Honda is not keeping up
By Bb on 06/26/10 16:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The CR-V drives nice when tires have less than 15k miles. After that road noise continues to increase to the point of major disillusionment. It's not the tires fault. It's the design. Honda relies on very soft, low mileage, tires on the CR-V to smooth out the harsh suspension. Do not put high mileage or fuel efficient tires on this vehicle! The suspension, or lack thereof, turns the CR-V with high Mileage or fuel efficient tires into a giant tuning fork. Steering feel is disconnected from the road but does react quickly to driver input. Makes me think of a video game. Lower end models with steel wheels do a little better. Already had to replace the AC compressor.

Disappointed with my first Honda
By Felt32 on 02/07/10 05:09 AM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am highly disappointed in this CR- V. I had heard about Honda being the most reliable and for me that was not the case. My 2008 Honda CR-V ran hot on me; damaging an engine head gasket, temp control device, and etc. The battery also died on me, even though it was my fault for not closing the trunk all of the way; it should of warned me that the trunk was not closed. Very disappointed with my purchase so I traded it in after 1.5 years.

Good but not Great
By wmacork on 01/04/10 15:51 PM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great Utilitarian vehicle, even in the EX-L trim. Not a thing wrong since buying over 2 yrs ago. Everything works well but just not excited about driving it. For the price there are too many things it doesn't have standard (lighted visor mirrors, fog lights, roof rack. Great around town but get ready for that "Singer" sewing machine engine on the highway.

Only Complaint: TIRES!
By Satisfied enough on 12/18/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was pretty upset when I had to change the tires at 20,000 miles. Pretty sure it's an alignment problem but I'm selling it tonight so it doesn't matter anymore! Seats are comfy to me. I like sitting up higher in this car. The power outlet is WAY inconvenient though. I have to trade out my Sirius and iPhone charger all the time and it's a bit of a hazard having to bend all the way down to trade them. And the other charger is all the way in the stinkin back...so no use unless I have a system! And the gas mileage drops considerably when it gets cold outside...other than that, it has been great! Oh and the brakes are really noisy if it's been raining outside. Sometimes a little scary!

Comfort not speed
By dennis on 09/25/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drove my CRV up the Troodos Mountians in Cyprus with 4 adults with no problems. The engine was quiet and the brakes reassuring. It was comfortable and we were relaxed. Petrol consumption was good (this is the 2l engine). This Honda is about being relaxed and comfortable and I cannot fault it.

Refined
By GAB on 07/24/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After 1.5 years I am very pleased. Zero problems, very refined for this price point, immensely practical. City gas mileage over the last 3.5k miles: 23mpg. Best HWY mileage: 33mpg. Excellent build quality. Performance and mpg improved slightly after the first couple K miles. Would buy again in a heart beat.

Practical but Fun
By Mike on 05/02/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

MPG depends. Oregon uses 10% ethanol. Hwy=26-28. In non ethanol states Hwy=29-31 (moderate hills and 70 mph). My combined average after 3,000 is 25mpg with 70/30 mix. No race car but smooth and responsive. Visibility is actually good (I wondered). I'm a single man who is very active. It works great: surfboards on top, bikes fit inside, etc. There is really a lot of room for the MPG. For those who think it is too female, get over yourselves - it is a car that does what you want. I was looking for wagon but US has few / SUV's are too big and inefficient (and many have no inside room). The Subaru is better AWD but smaller with same MPG and this was over $1000 less. Works for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Honda CR-V in VA is:

$111 per month*