2008 Honda CR-V EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2008 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Was excited now disappointed
By desertguy2

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2008 CR-V as a certified vehicle. Based on Honda's reputation, I was expecting a vehicle to be quite reliable. That's not been the case! First problem was tires cupping so bad it was terribly noisy in the vehicle. Even after regular alignment checks by Honda dealership! Finally solved the problem by having upper control arms added to rear wheels and now have a new set of Michelin Defender tires and good wheel alignment. Power door locks have been a problem. Have had to replace two already. My first problem was discovering no automatic headlights. What a dumb decision to leave this feature off an EX-L model!!

Favorite Features

Leather interior & seats, power driver's seat, sun roof, Sirius radio, roomy interior, quality interior materials, satisfactory gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Headlights, improve power door locks, add adjustment to rear wheels to allow better alignment to eliminate premature tire wear and cupping.

Great SUV with some exceptions
By azdesertguy

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My CR-V is great except for two issues that have really bugged me. 1. Noisy tires 2. No auto headlight turn off How in the world can a manufacture be so stupid to leave a feature off auto headlight turn off. I had the least equipped 2004 Vibe and it had auto headlight turn off. I figured the top of the model should have this feature. Talk about stupidity in the first degree!!!!!! Then noisy tires....yikes!! I have had people not wanting to ride with me due to the fact the tire noise is so high it would give one the impression the stupid wheels are going to fall off due to bad wheel bearings. Fortunately, I had this checked and all the noise is from tires....

Favorite Features

I like the response of the engine. Getting away from stops is fine. Ride is satisfactory, gas mileage is good. Interior features are good. Seating is comfortable and like the power driver's seat settings.

Suggested Improvements

1. Add auto headlight turn off 2. Better insulation or whatever it takes to quiet the road noise!! This alone is cause enough to where I wouldn't buy another CR-V. I've owned many cars as I have a lot of years on and have to say this alone is a killer for me as far as ever buying another one. In fact I don't think I will keep this noisy beast much longer!!

ok car but not great
By anna fekete

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, quick acceleration, cheap fabric interior, mileage only 24/gal- not great, very light, hard time drive in winter, tires bad after 2 years.

Favorite Features

Easy to turn on small space, acceleration good, easy to go fast

Suggested Improvements

better fabric inside, make it heavier

Love my CR-V
By Mary

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this for my new 16 year old girls, after my Odyssey died at 230,000 miles and getting myself a Pilot. The girls love this car! They can fit all their friends in it VERY comfortably, and have claimed they can fit over ten people in it if arranged correctly. The AUX jack is handy, and one daughter loves plugging iPhone in and being able to listen to music through it AND can talk through the car (without bluetooth!). Very VERY safe. Have never doubted Honda's reliability and never will. The girls have to fill up their tank, maybe once a week, and they do no highway driving, so they fuel economy is great! So impressed!

Favorite Features

CD/AUX features, AC/Heating system, interior design, safety features, seat belt warnings, and all the cup holders and other places to store things!

Suggested Improvements

too much plastic on exterior and cloth seats stain too easily

Honda is not keeping up
By Bb

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The CR-V drives nice when tires have less than 15k miles. After that road noise continues to increase to the point of major disillusionment. It's not the tires fault. It's the design. Honda relies on very soft, low mileage, tires on the CR-V to smooth out the harsh suspension. Do not put high mileage or fuel efficient tires on this vehicle! The suspension, or lack thereof, turns the CR-V with high Mileage or fuel efficient tires into a giant tuning fork. Steering feel is disconnected from the road but does react quickly to driver input. Makes me think of a video game. Lower end models with steel wheels do a little better. Already had to replace the AC compressor.

Favorite Features

Predicted resale. I hope sooner rather than later.

Suggested Improvements

Design suspension to accept fuel efficient and long mileage tires. Reduce noise Auto headlights Heated seats should heat back Improve stereo sound quality Improve material around windows. Squeaks. Exterior paint quality. Worst I have owned in last 10 hrs. Dual zone air cooling overhaul needed

Disappointed with my first Honda
By Felt32

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am highly disappointed in this CR- V. I had heard about Honda being the most reliable and for me that was not the case. My 2008 Honda CR-V ran hot on me; damaging an engine head gasket, temp control device, and etc. The battery also died on me, even though it was my fault for not closing the trunk all of the way; it should of warned me that the trunk was not closed. Very disappointed with my purchase so I traded it in after 1.5 years.

Favorite Features

Drive, Interior and Exterior Design, Fuel Efficiency

Suggested Improvements

Quality and Reliability of this product

Good but not Great
By wmacork

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great Utilitarian vehicle, even in the EX-L trim. Not a thing wrong since buying over 2 yrs ago. Everything works well but just not excited about driving it. For the price there are too many things it doesn't have standard (lighted visor mirrors, fog lights, roof rack. Great around town but get ready for that "Singer" sewing machine engine on the highway.

Favorite Features

around town handling, Seats supportive. Overall build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted visor mirrors, fog lights, V6, automatic lights, longer warranty (shouldn't need it)

Only Complaint: TIRES!
By Satisfied enough

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was pretty upset when I had to change the tires at 20,000 miles. Pretty sure it's an alignment problem but I'm selling it tonight so it doesn't matter anymore! Seats are comfy to me. I like sitting up higher in this car. The power outlet is WAY inconvenient though. I have to trade out my Sirius and iPhone charger all the time and it's a bit of a hazard having to bend all the way down to trade them. And the other charger is all the way in the stinkin back...so no use unless I have a system! And the gas mileage drops considerably when it gets cold outside...other than that, it has been great! Oh and the brakes are really noisy if it's been raining outside. Sometimes a little scary!

Favorite Features

Cruise control is easy to reach and use. I'm addicted to the audio input jack!

Suggested Improvements

Easier to reach and use power outlet and more of them. Better tires and fix the alignment issues! It's a little ridiculous!

Comfort not speed
By dennis

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drove my CRV up the Troodos Mountians in Cyprus with 4 adults with no problems. The engine was quiet and the brakes reassuring. It was comfortable and we were relaxed. Petrol consumption was good (this is the 2l engine). This Honda is about being relaxed and comfortable and I cannot fault it.

Favorite Features

quiet 2L engine, comfort inside, reliability, interior space

Suggested Improvements

none

Refined
By GAB

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After 1.5 years I am very pleased. Zero problems, very refined for this price point, immensely practical. City gas mileage over the last 3.5k miles: 23mpg. Best HWY mileage: 33mpg. Excellent build quality. Performance and mpg improved slightly after the first couple K miles. Would buy again in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

smooth engine, good steering feel, firm but compliant suspension, build quality, heated leather seats, optional subwoofer

Suggested Improvements

Use softer materials at the dash. Despite the outstanding crash test scores, the hard plastic panel across the dashboard at knee level makes me wonder how my knees would do in a frontal collision. Make the vehicle 7 inches lower and 10 inches longer instead.