Used 2007 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Pre-certifired means nothing
By Mary Bailey

2007 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have a Honda 2007 CRV LX 4WD. It is my third one to own. I have always bought brand new until the 2007. It was pre-certified, and I thought that meant something. Although it was going 4 years old and had a scratch on the hood, it only had 35,000 miles on it, and Hondas are supposed to do 300K, right? The certified meant it had nothing wrong with it, etc At 86000 miles and 3 years later, the air conditioner has stopped working. I got online to see that the 2002 - 2007 Honda CRV has a design defect that guarantees the AC will fail. A class action law suit resulted in Honda agreeing to do a 8 year/100,000 mile recall. I took it to my local Honda to be told there was no recall on my vin# and two day later, the air went to blowing only hoth wit the heat index at 110 degrees! The condenser broke and the whole system has to be replaced. I called the dealership I bought the certified Honda from to be told that although it was 2015 and it might sound like Honda would cover it until 2015 ended (the 8th year); my particular Honda came off of the line 1/29/07. The eight years are up as up 1/28/15. I was 13 weeks too late. What troubles me is that the dealer knew the Honda had this problem and that it was not a case of if it would break but when. It is a design defect! I am stuck. How could they certify a vehicle with a design defect that guaranteed the AC would go bad somewhere around 85,000 miles? Trading it in will give me low value and keeping it with no AC in the South could be a health hazard. I consider what Honda did to be unethical. Their certified still carries a "buyer beware." It is a way to dump defective vehicles.

A/C Compressor Black Death - RIP HONDA
By Rob Kientz

2007 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased, used, a 2007 Honda CRV LX. I have owned Honda's all my life (24 years driving), and my family has owned Honda's since the 1970's. The two things I could always count on in Honda were a) excellent quality and therefore value and b) leading customer service. I am extremely disappointed to report that both may no longer hold true. As happens to many people since 2003 (I am now finding out) with a CRV SUV, the compressor clutch freezes and causes the compressor to explode. When this happens, the entire system (hoses, lines, evaporator, etc..) are contaminated, and the entire cooling system has to be replaced. I called Honda Corporate in California and found out they had an extended warranty, for this part, to 7 years/100k. My car is at 106k miles at the moment. So I am screwed. Not only that, but my mechanic told me the problem can recur because the replacement parts have the same issue. He has one customer who has brought in the system to be replaced 3 times over 115k miles. 3 times! So even if I pay the $2000 estimated repair cost, I could end up paying that again in a few thousand miles. So to recap: Honda has a known issue on CRV A/C compressors for 12 years, does NOT issue a recall, offers a limited parts warranty, and then kisses their customers goodbye. At this point, I told Honda Corporate I will never purchase a Honda again after 40 years of my family owning them. I have two Honda's in my driveway (also have a 2008 Civic) that I will now promptly sell and replace both with another brand. RIP Honda, I am done with you!

My 4th and last Honda
By K Stiefel

2007 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Everything was going well until 89000 miles when the A/C started blowing warm air. Honda, after settling a 40 million dollar class action suit for failed compressor clutches on these A/C units extended the warranty to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles. I never received notification about this. I've had the vehicle for almost 8 yrs but well under the mileage. Honda service said "oh well". Honda of America may pay "a portion" of the repair but won't tell me how much. Honda has known about this problem and did nothing for owners to remedy it before failure. I guess the good Honda name means nothing now. Honda does not stand behind their product. Google this and you will see complaint after complaint about this problem. Also OEM tires ride horribly and lasted 25000 miles. Highway ride is rough. Inside dome light doesn't work. I am so done with Honda.

My 2007 CRV EX
By r_man20001

2007 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my certified new with 25K miles. I loved it and have been happy with it but have had reliability issues. My air conditioner failed and had to be replaced and the locking modulator has failed along with a door lock and my routine maintenance visit to the dealer yielded new struts. I'm just at 77K miles with regular maintenance so thumbs down.

A really great vehicle to own
By britqueen

2007 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had this mini suv for six years and never had one mechanical problem with it at all. Overall a really great vehicle to own especially for reliability. It was a bit loud on the highway but never enough to be annoying. I wouldn't call it "fun" to drive but it was a great suv for zipping around town and transporting my dog to the park. I would buy another one but I feel Honda needs to really put a power liftgate in this vehicle. Also the navigation is a bit subpar with other vehicles.

Reliability Sunroof Back seat leg room was pretty good