Used 2006 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

By D Bell

2006 Honda CR-V Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Agree with others in saying that overall this small SUV (that feels and is pretty roomy) was very dependable and easy to drive. Mileage was typical - 21 - 26 mpg around town. It had enough engine power. Had it less than a year due to being rear ended by a heavy commercial truck that didn't brake, it just hit. CR-V was totaled. Bad thing, yes. Good thing, we lived. Not much you can say after that...Glad to be here. I have friends who own CR-Vs from 2005 through 2009 and they all love their particular year models. One friend has two CR-Vs in the family, a 2008 and 2009.

Easy to get in and out of car. It's a design for those who haul a lot of "stuff" of any kind.

Back seats were not as comfortable as one would expect. It seemed "noisy" to begin with but perhaps I got used to it. The gear shift seemed to block the air conditioner vent for the driver side (on right as you're facing the steering wheel). I noticed that improved in the following design years.

Not bad, could be worse
By Lia

2006 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Cons: Within the 1st 6 months, I had to return it to the dealer to fix the ball bearings? in the back of the car. It came loose, I was told. Paint job is crappy and I got it detailed 2 months after buying it - to try to protect it's color. I basically hwy drive. To keep the gas needle from jumping, I use cruise control ALL the time. Even as low as 30 mph. Driving at 25 mph on certain roads will use more gas. Within 2 yrs, it lost its pick up when accelerating. It hesitates when changing gears.

6 cd changer, moon roof, table and mat in the trunk. Compartments are great. Not too bad on gas, but could be better.

Move the gas tank level off of the ground. Was this car designed for a 4 ft 100 lb person? I have to open the door to pull the lever. Need more leg room throughout the car. Thanks for changing the trunk to vertical in the 2007 version. Add air vents in the back for passengers

Even better than our 1999 CR-V!
By Two CR-Vs

2006 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After reading some other reviews, I expected to like the 2006 CR-V less than the 1999 CR-V we have owned for years. Since a manual transmission is a MUST for my wife and I, the SUV market has become increasingly limited. 2006 was the last year for 5 Speed Manual transmission on the Honda CR-V, so when we finally found a used one with the manual transmission, we bought it. I am pleasantly surprised that we both like our 2006 even more than the 1999! The 2006 feels bigger, feels even more solid and substantial, and is more powerful than our 1999. At the same time, our gas mileage is 26-28 mpg in normal mixed driving, just the same as with our 1999.

Gas economy Size Reliability Style (exterior) Visibility for driving AWD

1. Honda has had a dozen years to fix the rear differential fluid lubrication problem, and has not done it! 2. In highest gear, the engine revolutions are 10-20% too high. 3. Bring back a manual transmission, or next purchase will have to be from Subaru, who still make manual transmissions.

Trading for a 2010 CR-V
By sprig

2006 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have put 130,000 miles on this CR-V with no problems whatsoever. Handles great and nice to drive. A v6 is unnecessary, this vehicle has all the power we need. MPG changes considerably if driving into the wind. We've made as little as 20 and as much as 50 (with a gale tale wind), but it averages 27-28 most of the time on the highway.

Sitting up high, it was the only vehicle that allowed me to get my wife away from a van. She loves the CRV

Please Honda, dump the Duellers as the standard tire on the new vehicles. The road "noise" reported is due to these tires. After switching to Michelin, the Bridgestone Weatherforce, the road noise was gone. Why not replace the Duellers with a similarly priced tire that is not so noisy.

Overall very good with a few annoyances
By J

2006 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall, this has been a nice little SUV. The paint quality is sub par; it seems like new scratches appear every day. Also, for an I-4 engine powering a Civic platform, I expected better gas mileage than what I get, which is usually about 20 around town and never better than 23-25 on the highway. Other than that, it drives well, it's comfortable, it carries everything we need it to carry, and it is reliable. This is one we plan to keep until it is "driven into the ground."

Performance in inclement weather, driving position, outward visibility, flexible interior.

Improve paint job.