Used 2005 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 344 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Love IT...but it eats motor oil
By MayK

2005 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Honda CRV and it drives great. However, the only problem I have is that it slowly eats motor oil...Is this TRUE??? To avoid any complications I just have to change the motor oil on time. Love the size, body, and height!

6 CD player, controls on the wheel

Fix the problem of engine eating motor oil.

Jack of all trades
By MTB

2005 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After 3 1/2 years of ownership, I can honestly say I've been very happy with this vehicle. In my mind the most informative reviews are the ones written after years of driving, not the knee-jerk responses people often post before they've had a chance to get to know their vehicle. This CR-V has been a great all-rounder. It's impressed me on road trips with excellent cargo space and surprisingly good MPG (averaged 30MPG highway on long trips). My CR-V's been great for my constant outings with the dogs, and has even done some fairly serious offroading (which it handled quite well). The AWD has performed admirably in severe snow\ice conditions. Overall happy with only minor complaints (see below).

Excellent MPG for an AWD vehicle in this class, front & rear seats can be configured in a fold-flat configuration for sleeping, good storage underneath cargo floor, user- friendly steering wheel mounted cruise control, back hatch window can open separately

Better sound dampening (too much road noise), fix the rear differential (rear diff. fluid must be changed every 20-30k miles - should only be required every 90,000 miles)

3.5 years and still happy
By Boxman

2005 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

3 1/2 years and no buyer's remorse! My CR-V has proven both an efficient and comfortable daily commuter as well as a versatile camping vehicle with decent offroad capability - which has been put to the test many times. I haven't charged across raging rivers or rumbled up rocky slopes like in the commercials, but I've sure as hell put the AWD to the test on muddy trails, sandy ground and rough terrain (never been stuck yet!). I've obsessively tracked the mileage since I got my CR-V, getting a lifetime average of 24MPG in 50/50 mixed city/hwy driving. I've gotten up to 31 MPG on long road trips. Not bad for an AWD SUV.

Clever interior design elements like the ability to fold all seats flat and create a queen-sized sleeping area. Cubby holes and storage bins all over the place. I particularly like the large compartment under the cargo bay, which is large enough to hold my jump starter and other gear.

The cabin should have been silenced better; at highway speeds road noise is more pronounced in the CR-V compared to many other vehicles. Rear differential fluid shouldn't have to be replaced every 30,000 miles - most other vehicles only require this at 90-100,000 miles.

Good all around vehicle
By Bob H

2005 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have 60k miles and still going strong. Great mileage w/4WD - about 25mpg. This is my 3rd Honda and I am a believer in the quality/workmanship. Only had to use 4WD at work site and it worked great. It is the envy of my truck friends at $4/gal gas. I would highly recommend this car.

Great mileage for SUV. Great storage room with seats down. Great exterior styling. Quality construction and decent service at dealer. Great car for general use. Nice to sit above most other vehicles.

Brake and shift lever need to be moved. Too close to radio and akward. Rear differential fluid is poor quality - cost $140 to replace. A V-6 option would be nice

Love my CRV
By Adrianne

2005 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I honestly can't say enough good things about my CRV. It drives nicely, handles well, has nice features and is relatively good on gas mileage for an SUV. Good interior space - comfortably fits my Great Dane, Bulldog, cat carrier, and all my luggage without feeling squished and cramped. Reliability is phenomenal! I have over 125,000 miles on my car in just 3 years and haven't had to do more than the scheduled oil changes and a brake repair earlier this year.

On the inside it's the fold down middle tray & the removable back seats. On the outside it's the bumpers-LOVE THEM. They don't cost an arm & a leg to replace/repair & are sturdy yet look good. Also, the AWD & D3 features-great when I go to the mountains-never worry about getting stuck anywhere.

The back windshield wiper. It's pretty useless. It just clears an odd, small, crescent-moon shape on the passengers side - which does nothing to help the drivers view. And the back windshield wiper fluid mechanism broke after the first year.