Used 2005 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Disappointed Honda Owner
By Mom of three

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2005 Honda CRV EX Auto AWD after I had a Ford Expedition that constantly broke down. Wanted a reliable car, Unfortunately it hasn't been so great with 53,000 it is broken once again. Lived in all climates from humid in Georgia, snow in Maine and dry heat in California. My 93 Oldsmobile runs better, gets better gas mileage, and is more reliable. I had to replace tires, O2 switch, rotors, and now AC has called it quits. I do the oil changes and maint. on time yet it is sluggish, won't do hills and vinyl on the doors has ripped because back seat not wide enough for three car seats. Disgusted and disappointed in Honda. Dealer doesn't even carry the stock tires! That stinks.

6 disk CD player, two outlets, reclining back seats.

TIRES! AC system, ENGINE POWER!, GAS MILEAGE, sad that Honda has such a poor gas mileage car. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Happy to own one
By originalbryan

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We (wife & I, no kids) purchased this due to our frequent outdoors trips. Shortly after purchasing, we drove in a blizzard and on icy roads for 2.5 weeks. The AWD worked great during the storms and icy conditions. After the blizzards, we loaded a small (4x8) trailer on the back with our belongings and drove 1,300 miles along the western coast, then through the deserts into CO. We drove though the Rockies and in snow often, eventually driving another 1,200 miles with another 4x8 trailer to the south eastern US. We've spend a LOT of hours in this vehicle and used it to drag a trailer across the entire US. OR to CO to AL. Love the vehicle, no complaints at all.

AWD, center console, style, MPG, the engine.

A standard stereo input jack.

Worst Car I have ever owned
By 2005Hd

2005 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in Oct of 2005 and can't wait to get rid of it. VERY uncomfortable to drive any amount of time over 1.5 hours. Road noise is VERY pronounced. Interior materials are substandard - very easy to mark plastics & can never remove these marks through cleaning or rubbing. The radio is starting to malfunction. Sun visors will not stay up against the windshield. Thus, I have to point the visor toward my face in order to block the sun & drive at the same time. The auto transmission does not shift smoothly - first gear is geared too low. Hey Honda, how about making the oil capacity either 4 or 5 quarts, NOT 4.4! No more Honda vehicles for me.

I honestly cannot say anything positive about this car.

Center console table between front seats is worthless as there is no rubberized surface to keep objects from sliding around & the handle to collapse the console ALWAYS catches on anything placed on the floor with straps (i.e. backpack etc). Lots of air leaks, underpowered engine, VERY weak heater.

Love IT...but it eats motor oil
By MayK

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Honda CRV and it drives great. However, the only problem I have is that it slowly eats motor oil...Is this TRUE??? To avoid any complications I just have to change the motor oil on time. Love the size, body, and height!

6 CD player, controls on the wheel

Fix the problem of engine eating motor oil.

Jack of all trades
By MTB

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After 3 1/2 years of ownership, I can honestly say I've been very happy with this vehicle. In my mind the most informative reviews are the ones written after years of driving, not the knee-jerk responses people often post before they've had a chance to get to know their vehicle. This CR-V has been a great all-rounder. It's impressed me on road trips with excellent cargo space and surprisingly good MPG (averaged 30MPG highway on long trips). My CR-V's been great for my constant outings with the dogs, and has even done some fairly serious offroading (which it handled quite well). The AWD has performed admirably in severe snow\ice conditions. Overall happy with only minor complaints (see below).

Excellent MPG for an AWD vehicle in this class, front & rear seats can be configured in a fold-flat configuration for sleeping, good storage underneath cargo floor, user- friendly steering wheel mounted cruise control, back hatch window can open separately

Better sound dampening (too much road noise), fix the rear differential (rear diff. fluid must be changed every 20-30k miles - should only be required every 90,000 miles)

• SUV