2005 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
45000 miles later
By Eroc69 on 11/20/07 18:36 PM (PST)

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my CR-V in Dec.of 04, over 45000 miles on it. Biggest complaint is the pulling to the right. Have had it in numerous times and they always say "Its in alignment, even tire wear" OK fine, I can live with it cause I put on Michelin Hydro-edge tires and they find the road groove-crown. I cant get more than 20MPG no matter how hard I try. Noisy ride but reliable. I feel pretty safe, feel safe with wife and kids in it. I just had the tranny oil changed, it was black, should be reddish. Had the rear diff. cleaned- serviced. Trans is smoother I recommend it but its no speedy Cross over Vehicle, more of a reliable all weather ride. Needed tires too at 20K

Dissappointed
By jecchile1 on 11/08/07 08:51 AM (PST)

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My first AND LAST Honda product... I have never had a car that requires so much maintenance (I'm 63 years old and have had many)... Rear Differential needs oil change every 15K to 20K. It starts and runs, it is fairly confy but but expensive to keep... Now have another noise when at low speed - like a Diesel noise - mechanics have not been able to identify it - perhaps the alternator bearing they said... Anyway, thinking about trading it in, I'm tired of so much maintenance and problems.

My Third CR-V
By My CR-V on 09/21/07 03:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V Special Edition AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I and my family love this CR-V as it fits the 3 of us just right. It's a good looking car and is easy to keep clean. We love the 6 disc cd changer in dash and love the height of the vehicle as we can slide right into it. The only drawback is the road noise while driving. It has great pick-up after 40 mph even though it is a 4-cylinder.

Overall a good car
By RHenry on 08/20/07 12:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this suv after totalling a 2004 Honda Civic. I wanted a safe car and this one has really good safety ratings. The A/C is much better than the 04 Civic. The hand brake is in a weird spot, not inconvenient, just an adjustment. I thought that I would get better gas mileage than I am getting. The paint color is the same as the 04 Civic (that dark silvery color) it hides dirt well. I get a lot of glare in the front windshield which is annoying. The seat fabric kind of stinks-I have a dog and ended up with dog hair that would get stuck in the fabric and I had to remove each hair indivually, also I somehow have a couple of stains that won't come out of the black upholstery.

POOR AC!
By kstephens on 08/18/07 09:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our CRV based on Honda's reputation. It is only 3 years old with 50,000 miles on it and the ac broke. It cost $1,800 to fix. Apparently the mechanic said this is common with the CRV. He also said he has seen many with transmission issues. Think twice about the CRV before purchasing. Investigate with a mechanic that you trust about their reliability. Up until now we really enjoyed ours but to avoid any other big ticket repairs we are considering trading it in. It's ridiculous to have to put thousands of dollars worth of repairs into a car that is not that old especially with the reputation honda has for reliability. I guess the CRV is the exception.

It never gets old
By Russ on 08/18/07 04:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Except for the differential problem which Honda took care of, it's been a solid vehicle that you feel you'll keep till 200,000 on the odo. Lucked out, original tires lasted till 33,000 at which time Sears indicated brake pads at 50% give or take all around. Have changed oil at Honda every 5,000. Other than that, gas, wash, wax. Fuel economy respectable. Plenty of room for me in the back seat with front seat all the way back, I'm 6'3". Currently at 34,300 miles, no rattles, everything works. Yes it does have the road noise everyone complains about.

Great All Around SUV
By KING on 08/11/07 16:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The engine is adequate and very reliable. The styling beats the new CRVs hands down. The seats could be more comfortable and the driver seat needs more movement backwards for long legs. I love getting around parking lots and the narrow body allows plenty of room for the doors opening in parking spaces. This SUV has plenty of cargo space and lots of storage nooks inside. I wanted a red CRV with black interior but this is not offered.

Is it showing its age?
By juliegal on 07/02/07 17:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my CR-V for 2.5 years. It's been a great car and fun to drive, but I think it may be starting to show its age! At 2 years/30K the brakes, battery and tires all had to be replaced--too soon, in my book. Car has pulled to right from the start, but I live with that. From day one, I've experienced a grinding noise from the rear when turning hard (U-turns). Finally, at the shop today I was told there is a differential repair bulletin out for this, requiring resurfacing and new pads (work done at Honda's expense). Lately, I notice the car is a bit sluggish starting, and it surges at stop signs. The VSA indicator comes on occasionally. Hope this isn't a problem brewing!

Only an eight
By scott likes the AWD on 06/16/07 20:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this CRV to replace a Chevrolet Tahoe, not much of a trade off. I liked the size of the the crv and the pep. I really got to appreciate the AWD, when we got caught in a Montana snow storm and kept on trucking when all the big 4 wheelers were having to chain there rigs up. We went right on through without a issue and about 22 mpg, try to tell my old Tahoe that.

Nice SUV
By Barry on 05/27/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I really love this SUV. Have had a few non-Honda like issues with this car. I had to have the strut lubed and now the rotors are warped big time. Another trip to the dealer. I guess I just expected more from Honda. But again, after coming from an Olds Alero, anything would be more reliable.