Used 2005 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Worst Car I have ever owned
By 2005Hd

2005 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in Oct of 2005 and can't wait to get rid of it. VERY uncomfortable to drive any amount of time over 1.5 hours. Road noise is VERY pronounced. Interior materials are substandard - very easy to mark plastics & can never remove these marks through cleaning or rubbing. The radio is starting to malfunction. Sun visors will not stay up against the windshield. Thus, I have to point the visor toward my face in order to block the sun & drive at the same time. The auto transmission does not shift smoothly - first gear is geared too low. Hey Honda, how about making the oil capacity either 4 or 5 quarts, NOT 4.4! No more Honda vehicles for me.

Favorite Features

I honestly cannot say anything positive about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Center console table between front seats is worthless as there is no rubberized surface to keep objects from sliding around & the handle to collapse the console ALWAYS catches on anything placed on the floor with straps (i.e. backpack etc). Lots of air leaks, underpowered engine, VERY weak heater.

Love IT...but it eats motor oil
By MayK

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Honda CRV and it drives great. However, the only problem I have is that it slowly eats motor oil...Is this TRUE??? To avoid any complications I just have to change the motor oil on time. Love the size, body, and height!

Favorite Features

6 CD player, controls on the wheel

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problem of engine eating motor oil.

Jack of all trades
By MTB

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After 3 1/2 years of ownership, I can honestly say I've been very happy with this vehicle. In my mind the most informative reviews are the ones written after years of driving, not the knee-jerk responses people often post before they've had a chance to get to know their vehicle. This CR-V has been a great all-rounder. It's impressed me on road trips with excellent cargo space and surprisingly good MPG (averaged 30MPG highway on long trips). My CR-V's been great for my constant outings with the dogs, and has even done some fairly serious offroading (which it handled quite well). The AWD has performed admirably in severe snow\ice conditions. Overall happy with only minor complaints (see below).

Favorite Features

Excellent MPG for an AWD vehicle in this class, front & rear seats can be configured in a fold-flat configuration for sleeping, good storage underneath cargo floor, user- friendly steering wheel mounted cruise control, back hatch window can open separately

Suggested Improvements

Better sound dampening (too much road noise), fix the rear differential (rear diff. fluid must be changed every 20-30k miles - should only be required every 90,000 miles)

3.5 years and still happy
By Boxman

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

3 1/2 years and no buyer's remorse! My CR-V has proven both an efficient and comfortable daily commuter as well as a versatile camping vehicle with decent offroad capability - which has been put to the test many times. I haven't charged across raging rivers or rumbled up rocky slopes like in the commercials, but I've sure as hell put the AWD to the test on muddy trails, sandy ground and rough terrain (never been stuck yet!). I've obsessively tracked the mileage since I got my CR-V, getting a lifetime average of 24MPG in 50/50 mixed city/hwy driving. I've gotten up to 31 MPG on long road trips. Not bad for an AWD SUV.

Favorite Features

Clever interior design elements like the ability to fold all seats flat and create a queen-sized sleeping area. Cubby holes and storage bins all over the place. I particularly like the large compartment under the cargo bay, which is large enough to hold my jump starter and other gear.

Suggested Improvements

The cabin should have been silenced better; at highway speeds road noise is more pronounced in the CR-V compared to many other vehicles. Rear differential fluid shouldn't have to be replaced every 30,000 miles - most other vehicles only require this at 90-100,000 miles.

Good all around vehicle
By Bob H

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have 60k miles and still going strong. Great mileage w/4WD - about 25mpg. This is my 3rd Honda and I am a believer in the quality/workmanship. Only had to use 4WD at work site and it worked great. It is the envy of my truck friends at $4/gal gas. I would highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Great mileage for SUV. Great storage room with seats down. Great exterior styling. Quality construction and decent service at dealer. Great car for general use. Nice to sit above most other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Brake and shift lever need to be moved. Too close to radio and akward. Rear differential fluid is poor quality - cost $140 to replace. A V-6 option would be nice