Used 2005 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 344 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Best First Car Ever
By CRV Lover

2005 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My mom bought this car brand new in 2005 and gave it to me for my 16th birthday in December 2015. My Mom struggled giving me this car because she loved it so much. I love the car so much, the gas mileage isn't the best in the whole world but it's not bad, especially taking the size into consideration. I can easily fit 4 friends in the car no problem.

The car didn't start to have a lot of problems until about a year ago when it hit 80,000 miles. Since then, we've replaced the radiator, the head gasket, control arm bushings, and spark plugs. It totaled about $2,500 but keep in mind that besides tires and brake pads, we haven't had to do anything else the entire 11 years we've owned it.

This is a great starter car and I would recommend it to anybody. Obviously get a pre purchase inspection anyways because every car is different.

Great vehicle w/ extremely low maintenance needs
By G Goldberg

2005 Honda CR-V SUV Special Edition AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First thing to know is that the paint finish is superb. I waxed this CR-V a few times early on then never again for the 11 years. It still shines and beads water. The interior leather, 11 years later, is still in near perfect condition. I changed the tires right after purchasing because I wanted something smoother and quieter. It was a well worthwhile investment. It handles remarkably well in rain and snow. (I got a set of snow tires on steel wheels that switch to for the winter and have never had any problems.) The AWD and anti lock brakes work very well. I get 20 mpg in stop and start city driving of very short distances. I work 5 miles from home. Having this car has made finding a new one I like, very difficult. Technologically and safety wise, this car was way ahead of its time with the AWD, ABS, number air bags, a multi disk CD player, and a tilt, slide back, and view through moon roof.

2005 Honda CR-V owners rating
By Lincoln

2005 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Not that great
By Lydia

2005 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I can't say this car breaks down a lot but it was cheaply made. I was borrowing my mom's car for a while and I can say right off that my 1998 Chevy Blazer does way better than it. To start with it's not that great in the snow. The four wheel drive does fine, but as far as the ABS goes, it's terrible. ABS is supposed to keep a car from sliding in the snow, but this one, pfft, it slides anyway and instead this VSA thing they installed comes alive when it's not supposed to which is supposed to help the car when it's turning. The other thing about it is safety issues. The breaks aren't great either, they don't stop as fast as other cars do.
I mean if you live somewhere where there isn't a lot of snow, I'm sure it's not a bad car. It get's you from A to B doesn't have any horrible engine or tranny issues. But I wouldn't recommend it for snow country.

Fred 2005 CR-V
By pahunter

2005 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great design. Mediocre power. Bought with 119,000 miles on it. A/C started acting up within a week of buying it but a complete emptying of the system fixed the problem.
A/C is now ice cold at 135,000 miles. At about 132,000 I developed a problem with the right axle which will have to be replaced shortly as the shaking is getting worse.

love the way it drives, handles great. Awesome in snow, sand. goes places even my Nissan Titan 4x4 could not go. Like the table in the back and the area for wet stuff underneath it. Like the reclining rear seats

Definitely not for tall people