Used 2004 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Never another Honda
By John Grogard

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Gas mileage much lower than what I was originally told, too frequent on the fill ups. Acceleration weak but tolerable, car runs smooth. Speakers make a buzzing sound. Car jack difficult to crank, panel that holds jack regularly opens and jack slides out. At 62,000 miles radiator, engine heads and all radiator hoses all broke at once just months after the full 60,000 mile service overhaul.

Favorite Features

In-dash 6 CD changer, comfortable seats, comfortable ride, easy to fit in tight parking spots, roomy inside, good heater.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the buzzing sound from speakers. Improve mileage, melt down that nasty car jack and rectify the car jack storage compartment issues.

Crooks
By jim

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Like most people with a Honda 03-05 my family has air problems. Last week the condenser exploded, and not only ruined a $300 condenser but did a few thousand dollars in damage. What kind of idiot designs something so that when it breaks it tears up the entire product? If you don't believe this try to use your defroster this winter with the ac not working. This is a known Honda problem that they refuse to fix [via several web sites]. Anyone that has paid out of pocket needs to go to Honda lawsuit and help get everyone's money back and save others from this problem. It's defective equipment. They are ripping the public off .

Probably Not Again
By Scott

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in Nov. 2003. I now have 98,000 miles on the car. At 97,000 miles the entire A/C compressor, clutch and coils blew. After fighting with Honda they ended up paying $600 or the $1500 price tag to replace the A/C. The cars fit and finish are sub par for a Japanese car. Squeak and rattles abound. The exterior paint is easily scratched. Honda has known about the faulty A/C problems with the CR-V but refuses to extend the warranty on them. I owned 2 Subaru's before this car and will go back to Subaru once this car dies for good. Honda gets high marks in most of these postings but most of the postings are from people who just bought their cars.

Favorite Features

Tumble forward rear seats make interior very functional - which is why I bought the car. Side moldings prevent door dings.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable A/C's. Better build quality. Too many squeaks and rattles. Better dealership experience. Better paint that doesn't scratch so easily. Better factory tires. My first set were shot at 40,000 miles. Better customer service.

Almost 4 yrs later and going strong.
By michelleinmo

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have leased this vehicle for nearly 4 yrs now and it's been pretty good! No mechanical issues or anything and at 42K miles it's still going strong. We are upgrading to a new 2009 Pilot and I'll miss the zippiness of my CR- V! What I won't miss is the discomfort of the driver's seat. I can't get any lumbar support and the seats just seem small. My son sits in his car seat forward facing in the back passenger side and therefore the passenger seat needs to be nearly all the way forward in the front, total pain. Love all the cargo space!

Favorite Features

So easy to drive, handles well and I can zip around town no problem. No major blind spots while driving. Very basic controls.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, interior is small for a tall person (I'm 5'9"). I have to have the drivers seat all the way back and then I can barely reach the radio controls--put them on the steering wheel! Avg gas mileage total 22 mpg. Thought it would be much better.

Less than thrilled
By Artman

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Today is my CR-V's 4th birthday and I have noticed fading paint, rock chips on the nose that have started to rust, and scratches all over the car. This alone will bring my resale value down at least $2000. I will take the vehicle into Honda but I'm sure they will not take care of it. I would recommend not buying the midnight blue pearl color. Better yet buy a Toyota.

Favorite Features

good little car to haul stuff, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

improve paint, multi-speed wipers, plastic interior, gas mileage, road noise.