Used 2004 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Into the Shop Every 2 Months...
By JasonK

2004 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, my Honda has never died on me. I am a very spirited driver, but there are no excuses for some of the constant repairs being done to my car. I needed a new front axle at 60,000 (living in the NYC metro area, we have those big pot-holes), I have blown about 5 or 6 engine mounts, needed a new transmission at 80,000 miles, needed to replace throttle plate at 15,000 miles, the list goes on, and on. Thank god I used common sense, and bought the extended warranty. It's just a shame the terrible customer service at my local dealer turned me off to Honda, and therefore will probably never buy another Honda again. Was a great car until around the 50,000 mile mark. Then it's all down hill.

6 CD Changer, One of the last cars to be made with a cassette tape deck, AWD (survived 3 Buffalo winters)

Customer Service, Engine Power, Acceleration smoothness, cheap plastic components on interior, should have updated to more modern amenities for its time, no variable intermittent wipers..

Air compressor
By rtbtexas

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My air compressor blew up last year at about 50,000 miles, They replaced the parts for free it cost me about $400 for labor to fix. This year the ac is still not working as well as it did new. I have problems with the cloth falling off the rear door panels. The shifter blocks the a/c for the driver. Poor design. Other than that a good car. I am looking for a car with a better AC.

cargo space, ride, MPG

Move the shifter, better A/C.

My last Honda
By Denny

2004 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great reliable car for about 4 years. It did pretty well in deep snow, had lots of room for hauling just about anything. My A/C exploded at less than 58,000 miles. Honda told me to basically drop dead. There should be a recall on this A/C problem. Honda no longer cares about their customers.

Initial reliability. Nice stereo. Plenty of cargo room. Do it all vehicle.

Don't bother. We are done.

Shame on Honda
By shame on Honda

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been purchasing vehicles for over 30 years, and this is the first new vehicle I've ever bought. It is a total lemon! I am very, very disappointed in Honda as I used to think they were a very reputable company, but not anymore. From just under 10K, I started having oil leaking problems that my whole family would smell and each time I brought the car to the dealer for service, they would fix it temporarily. I have 55K on it now, and over the years I have had the oil pan replaced, the oil line, and the latest adventure was the oil sensor. This is a problem Honda knew about! I'm done with them.

Handled well when it wasn't in the shop.

Should've recalled this car.

Nice until A/C failed
By JPettibone

2004 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really liked my CR/V until the last few years. 1st, the cabin materials did not wear well. 2nd, the gas mileage seemed to decline over time to the point that I could not get more than 275 miles out of a tank even with highway mileage. 3rd, we had reliability problems. Had a $600 transmission sensor repair last year, and then the A/C compressor imploded and destroyed the entire AC system a few weeks ago. The cost for that repair was quoted at $3800 by the dealer, and American Honda refused to help even though they've helped other customers with this, but left us out to dry despite owing a 06 accord and doing all service for both at the dealer. We're done with Honda for a while.

Cargo and 2nd row space is great. Small and maneuverable in city and on highway.

Performance was just ok, but was really poor on hills with AC on. Leg room in front row was too short - had to have the driver's seat all the way back to use. Interior quality did not hold up over the long run. Honda needs to own up to the AC compressor issue publicly and support their owners.

• SUV