Used 2004 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

My last Honda
By Denny

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great reliable car for about 4 years. It did pretty well in deep snow, had lots of room for hauling just about anything. My A/C exploded at less than 58,000 miles. Honda told me to basically drop dead. There should be a recall on this A/C problem. Honda no longer cares about their customers.

Favorite Features

Initial reliability. Nice stereo. Plenty of cargo room. Do it all vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Don't bother. We are done.

Shame on Honda
By shame on Honda

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been purchasing vehicles for over 30 years, and this is the first new vehicle I've ever bought. It is a total lemon! I am very, very disappointed in Honda as I used to think they were a very reputable company, but not anymore. From just under 10K, I started having oil leaking problems that my whole family would smell and each time I brought the car to the dealer for service, they would fix it temporarily. I have 55K on it now, and over the years I have had the oil pan replaced, the oil line, and the latest adventure was the oil sensor. This is a problem Honda knew about! I'm done with them.

Favorite Features

Handled well when it wasn't in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

Should've recalled this car.

Nice until A/C failed
By JPettibone

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really liked my CR/V until the last few years. 1st, the cabin materials did not wear well. 2nd, the gas mileage seemed to decline over time to the point that I could not get more than 275 miles out of a tank even with highway mileage. 3rd, we had reliability problems. Had a $600 transmission sensor repair last year, and then the A/C compressor imploded and destroyed the entire AC system a few weeks ago. The cost for that repair was quoted at $3800 by the dealer, and American Honda refused to help even though they've helped other customers with this, but left us out to dry despite owing a 06 accord and doing all service for both at the dealer. We're done with Honda for a while.

Favorite Features

Cargo and 2nd row space is great. Small and maneuverable in city and on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Performance was just ok, but was really poor on hills with AC on. Leg room in front row was too short - had to have the driver's seat all the way back to use. Interior quality did not hold up over the long run. Honda needs to own up to the AC compressor issue publicly and support their owners.

My first and last Honda
By Hondas no more

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Honda is a lemon! Sensors failing, defective parts, high maintenance requirements (rear differential fluid often needs changed), defectively designed A/C system. I will never buy a Honda again. I had a Ford Ranger for 10 years and apart from routine maintenance never had to replace anything. I'm going back to Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, issue recall on A/C unit. Design for longevity.

A/C compressor blew up at 55k miles
By Ed C

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A/C condenser blew up with 55k miles requiring a complete replacement of the entire A/C system costing $3500. Honda refused to pay for any of the repair costs although this is a common issue. Car had other minor quality defects with the window controls and control panel. I liked the way the car looked and handled but the overall quality for this model is way below what I would expect from any manufacturer.

Favorite Features

Interior design and seats flexibility. Car handles well for a small SUV and engine has enough power.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to recall the A/C compressor. Thousands of other owners are experiencing the same failure and Honda keeps acting like it doesn't know about the issue. I have been a Honda owner for over 12 years and this is my third Honda vehicle. Their quality is not the same as it used to be.