2004 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Terrific
By mold on 03/13/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car met my expectations for a mini- SUV perfectly. I also shopped the RAV4; preferred the CRV and have not regretted it. 20-21 mpg in town... 24- 26 mpg highway. No problems in 31+k miles. I have stuffed lumber and furniture into it but also know that it has size limitations and is not a truck.

65k miles and I'm still lovin it!
By Jack on 03/01/09 12:17 PM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm reading that people have had issues with their A/C but mine works as good now as it did when I first bought it. The engine still purrs and the transmission is as smooth as silk. I put a heavy-duty hitch on it and haul approx. 1700lbs on occasion without any hesitation from the engine. Routine maintenance, good mpg and decent fit and finish continues to make my CR-V a winner for me. Just to add, mine was assembled in England and the engine/transmission were manufactured in Japan. Maybe this makes a difference.

Great car
By starfisher on 02/26/09 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our CR-V has been a dream to own. We've had no problems whatsoever with regular maintenance. We love the layout of the interior and all of the cargo space, not to mention the gas mileage. I'd buy this car again and recommend it to friends and family.

Great design, terrible gas mileage
By Santa Barbara on 12/29/08 14:48 PM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car for its utility and versatility. it can carry three mountain bikes in the back and is great for our big dog. But the low gas mileage shocked us - 15 mpg for largely suburban driving (school runs, errands etc.) Has done really well off road when we've needed it to, and handled very well in snow and ice, with and without chains. The super expensive ($500) oxygen sensor went out just after the warranty expired and that was a disappointment.

Never another Honda
By John Grogard on 12/05/08 17:44 PM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Gas mileage much lower than what I was originally told, too frequent on the fill ups. Acceleration weak but tolerable, car runs smooth. Speakers make a buzzing sound. Car jack difficult to crank, panel that holds jack regularly opens and jack slides out. At 62,000 miles radiator, engine heads and all radiator hoses all broke at once just months after the full 60,000 mile service overhaul.

Crooks
By jim on 10/20/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Like most people with a Honda 03-05 my family has air problems. Last week the condenser exploded, and not only ruined a $300 condenser but did a few thousand dollars in damage. What kind of idiot designs something so that when it breaks it tears up the entire product? If you don't believe this try to use your defroster this winter with the ac not working. This is a known Honda problem that they refuse to fix [via several web sites]. Anyone that has paid out of pocket needs to go to Honda lawsuit and help get everyone's money back and save others from this problem. It's defective equipment. They are ripping the public off .

Probably Not Again
By Scott on 09/26/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in Nov. 2003. I now have 98,000 miles on the car. At 97,000 miles the entire A/C compressor, clutch and coils blew. After fighting with Honda they ended up paying $600 or the $1500 price tag to replace the A/C. The cars fit and finish are sub par for a Japanese car. Squeak and rattles abound. The exterior paint is easily scratched. Honda has known about the faulty A/C problems with the CR-V but refuses to extend the warranty on them. I owned 2 Subaru's before this car and will go back to Subaru once this car dies for good. Honda gets high marks in most of these postings but most of the postings are from people who just bought their cars.

Almost 4 yrs later and going strong.
By michelleinmo on 09/17/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have leased this vehicle for nearly 4 yrs now and it's been pretty good! No mechanical issues or anything and at 42K miles it's still going strong. We are upgrading to a new 2009 Pilot and I'll miss the zippiness of my CR- V! What I won't miss is the discomfort of the driver's seat. I can't get any lumbar support and the seats just seem small. My son sits in his car seat forward facing in the back passenger side and therefore the passenger seat needs to be nearly all the way forward in the front, total pain. Love all the cargo space!

Less than thrilled
By Artman on 08/30/08 09:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Today is my CR-V's 4th birthday and I have noticed fading paint, rock chips on the nose that have started to rust, and scratches all over the car. This alone will bring my resale value down at least $2000. I will take the vehicle into Honda but I'm sure they will not take care of it. I would recommend not buying the midnight blue pearl color. Better yet buy a Toyota.

Loyal Honda Owner
By msln on 08/27/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in '04. At 71,000 miles, the A/C compressor blew, contaminating the whole system. Estimates cost anywhere from $1800-3000 to fix.