2004 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great Colorado college car
By ftstdnt_andmom on 04/09/12 00:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a full time college student and a mom so this car mostly fits the budget! I bought my car 6years ago with 32,000 miles now it has just over 175,000 (I drive a lot) it's showing it's age now. The biggest problem is the A/C unit. The clutch arm went out 3 years ago and it's just not feasible for me to have it repaired. Not having AC is annoying but not nearly as annoying as 2 complaining kids in the back seat.

AC drags this guy down
By timjsmith on 11/30/11 07:31 AM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The AC unit in this SUV is the worst. Who cares if you can drive the car for 200,000 miles if every 50,000 you have to shell out 1500 bucks for a total rebuild of the AC unit. The dorks at Honda designed this this to fail, the compressor blows up right into the cooling radiator for the AC. This adds about 400 bucks to your repair total. Honda just settled a class action lawsuit about these crummy AC units. Beware of 2004-2006 CRVs. You need AC more than you might think. You have to get them fixed or you can't drive the car. The belt system requires that the AC unit be connected, and if it blows you cannot use the car.

Great car for the money
By jt17 on 04/14/11 06:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my CRV new and got a good deal--last 2004 on lot and a 5 speed. I get great gas milage because of the standard transmission. When I clean it up, it still looks great. I have only had one problem with it in 7 years, beyond scheduled service. My A.C. unit blew up--literally. I was having problems with it when it was under warrenty. I took it to the dealership and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the A.C. unit. I took it in several times--finally the dealership told me after examining the car under the special "sonic ears"-nothing was wrong. The A.C. unit completely blew a couple months later when the warrenty expired--the cost $2,600 out of pocket.

AC blows up
By dave on 07/12/10 13:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Honda accord hatchback in the 80's that was great. I bought my wife an 04 c-rv and it held up pretty well until this weekend . At 59,000 miles the ac locked up and the clutch assembly violently was ejected from the car. We limped home from Iowa to Oklahoma,and lo and behold there are at least a thousand other people online that have had similar experiences. Honda, shame on you for not fixing this. Hello Ford, we will be in contact shortly.

I thought this was a Honda.......
By BMWfantic on 02/21/10 09:44 AM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We thought we were buying a Typical bulletproof Honda in February of 2007 when the car had 18K miles on it and was BABIED for the first owner. The car is comfortable and the interior material is quite good for the price and the car was fairly reliable until about 70K miles. Then the car started jerking when we went about 45 MPH. And the engine check decides when to turn on and off. Turns out the car had a bad 4th gear and needs a new transmission for an outrageous 3500 dollars. What a money. Now we need to dump and get a new car- about 2 years ahead of schedule. This is our first and last Honda. Don't buy these model years- the transmission fail VERY quickly!

A Keeper
By DDP on 10/06/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought brand new. Always follow recommended maintenance and have had zero problems. None at all, still going strong at 105k. Mileage has stayed between 25-28 mpg, very good interior room for its size. Drives nicely for a SUV. Original tires only lasted for 27k, but not the CR- V's fault. Plan on putting a lot more miles on it.

Great car
By starfisher on 02/26/09 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our CR-V has been a dream to own. We've had no problems whatsoever with regular maintenance. We love the layout of the interior and all of the cargo space, not to mention the gas mileage. I'd buy this car again and recommend it to friends and family.

Crooks
By jim on 10/20/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Like most people with a Honda 03-05 my family has air problems. Last week the condenser exploded, and not only ruined a $300 condenser but did a few thousand dollars in damage. What kind of idiot designs something so that when it breaks it tears up the entire product? If you don't believe this try to use your defroster this winter with the ac not working. This is a known Honda problem that they refuse to fix [via several web sites]. Anyone that has paid out of pocket needs to go to Honda lawsuit and help get everyone's money back and save others from this problem. It's defective equipment. They are ripping the public off .

Shame on American Honda !
By formerhondafan on 08/09/08 04:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As a huge Honda fan and owner for the last 15 years, I was thrilled when I bought my 04 CR-V. Sadly, that excitement only lasted as long as the warranty. 2000 miles past the warranty it just stopped running. Took it took the dealer and they said it was a "sensor" and it cost me $280! But as frustrating as that was, it pales to what just happened to me. Just like all the other CR-V owners out there, my AC compressor blew up, and American Honda just snubbed their nose at me like they have every other owner. Shame on you Honda! Fortunately, my dealership helped me out with the whopping $3,000 bill, but Honda is doing nothing to help its loyal fans. As a result, I am selling all of mine!

Dependable Car but short-lived AC
By Yam on 08/03/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have my CR-V now for almost 4 years and I'm happy with it. But just 3 days ago, the AC system gave up at 49,000 miles. Mechanic told me to take it to the dealership because he'd seen at least 4 Hondas with the same problem. The dealership, after contacting Honda, decided to charge me just $160 to change the whole AC system as they realized that this thing has been becoming too common for 3 to 4 yr. old CR-Vs. If ever your CR-V AC gives up on you, contact the dealership before shelling out thousands of dollars at private auto shops. Big chance they will cover it for you even if your car is passed the warranty period.