Used 2004 Honda CR-V EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great Car, pooly made AC & zero customer support
By teriyakiboy

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CR-V, this is true utility minded vehicle, which majority of today's SUV are lacking. Hence I baby my car. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the TSB on AC and class action that Honda settled in 2012 for $40M. It was a true wake up call when the compressor exploded, sending pieces of metals throughout the AC system, causing $4500+ damage. Honda America denied everything about the AC and compressor issues, calling internet info "competitor's lie", case action is "untrue", and they even went in extent to tell me that I was first person to report the problem. I'm royal to the local dealer, but I'm no longer royal to Honda brand.

True Sport Utility. Full size spare mounted externally, side opening hatch, folding center console, minimal electronic function, moonroof...everything is just done right.

Air conditioning / compressor needs recall, not just TSB! Even after the $40M class action settlement, Honda is in completely denial, which seems complete out of touch from reality. Honda America managed to lose a royal customer with a single phone call.

Beware of the A/C issues
By ashowee28

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my CRV used in 2009 when it had 88,000 miles on it. On a trip back from Minnesota to my home state of Ohio, the A/C compressor blew out when we were 3 hours away from home in 95 degree weather!! It cost $750 to fix, even with us having a friend who is a Honda Certified mechanic who did the work for us practically labor-free.Honda knows of the A/C problems and wouldn't help me. Also began to have oil leakage issues and O2 sensor failure (check engine light coming on because of that) around a 100,000 miles. I've owned a lot of Hondas, but this one gave me more trouble than all my others combined. Just traded it in for a '06 Odyssey.

Car-like ride, cargo room, AWD

Fix the A/C compressor and O2 sensor problems!

The Bionic CR-V
By Tracey

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After reading these reviews, I think I have the bionic cr-v. My car just turned over 100,000 while driving it today. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this car. It still looks new. I am JUST now replacing the front brakes after 100,000 miles and replaced the back brakes for the first time less than a year ago. My A/C works better than most cars that are brand new. There is excessive road noise and, true, the gas mileage could be better! My interior and exterior still look new. I don't have children or animals so that may be the reason. I love the inside design with the center tray. I too wish the back door didn't open to the side but that's the least of my desires for a vehicle. I love my car!

Center tray, roominess, chair arm rests, sun roof

Gas Mileage and Road Noise.

2004 cr-v
By tom-cuse

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ran great for the first 40,000 miles. Fun to drive, great in the winter (central NY).

AWD is the best

Better gas mileage , down to 15 mpg when using AWD in winter, great on the highway 26 mpg. Electric system needs improvement largest numbers of repairs, blown relays and control units , five different one so far at $450+ each time.

It's True...Honda QC is SluMping Fast!
By luvdriving

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I miss my 95 Accord. It was by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, selling it with 157,000 miles on it. Drove it Coast to Coast and it NEVER ONCE let me down. The 2004 CRV I have now has 57,000 mi on it. It's not horrible..but not great either: I'm 6'1" and can (NEVER) get comfortable due to the lack of leg room...which is primarily my fault for not taking it on a 100 Mi test drive:).. Right! Everything still works BUT the squeaks and bad rattles are Everywhere!..Including Multiple windows, passenger side belt, the front suspension...Mechanic still can't figure that one out! Interior scratches easily, and loud road noise. I'm selling it for an alternative Colorado friendly car.

Good gas mileage, Radio is Great, Lots of Cargo Room, Smooth on the HWY, Great Head-Lights, Bullet-proof engine and transmission, AWD is great in Colorado blizzards!

Fix squeaks and rattles, make seating applicable to more drivers!! Build Quality is poor in many ways...I hope it lasts!