Used 2004 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

AC problems
By Nancy Moore

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Before purchasing this CRV, be VERY CAREFUL. The air conditioner has gone out the past three years every June. I have a great foreign car mechanic that will work with me and keeps great records. He was able to get a compressor for half price since I have had such poor experience with the AC unit in this car. I amnow considering something I never thought I would, changing brands to a Toyota. These AC repairs are killing me.

Great Colorado college car
By ftstdnt_andmom

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a full time college student and a mom so this car mostly fits the budget!
I bought my car 6years ago with 32,000 miles now it has just over 175,000 (I drive a lot) it's showing it's age now.
The biggest problem is the A/C unit. The clutch arm went out 3 years ago and it's just not feasible for me to have it repaired. Not having AC is annoying but not nearly as annoying as 2 complaining kids in the back seat.

The best things about this car are the adjustable seats, it has a fair amount of power, the AWD is amazing in the snow and other than oil changes and tires I haven't spent much on repairs.

The upholstery on the inside of the doors peels off. The drivers seat is defiantly for smaller people, I'm 5'8" and sometimes I wish I had a little more room.

AC drags this guy down
By timjsmith

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The AC unit in this SUV is the worst. Who cares if you can drive the car for 200,000 miles if every 50,000 you have to shell out 1500 bucks for a total rebuild of the AC unit. The dorks at Honda designed this this to fail, the compressor blows up right into the cooling radiator for the AC. This adds about 400 bucks to your repair total. Honda just settled a class action lawsuit about these crummy AC units. Beware of 2004-2006 CRVs. You need AC more than you might think. You have to get them fixed or you can't drive the car. The belt system requires that the AC unit be connected, and if it blows you cannot use the car.

None

See above.

Great car for the money
By jt17

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my CRV new and got a good deal--last 2004 on lot and a 5 speed. I get great gas milage because of the standard transmission. When I clean it up, it still looks great. I have only had one problem with it in 7 years, beyond scheduled service. My A.C. unit blew up--literally. I was having problems with it when it was under warrenty. I took it to the dealership and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the A.C. unit. I took it in several times--finally the dealership told me after examining the car under the special "sonic ears"-nothing was wrong. The A.C. unit completely blew a couple months later when the warrenty expired--the cost $2,600 out of pocket.

The location of everything in relation to the driver's seat and the cargo space. Great AWD.

AC blows up
By dave

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Honda accord hatchback in the 80's that was great. I bought my wife an 04 c-rv and it held up pretty well until this weekend . At 59,000 miles the ac locked up and the clutch assembly violently was ejected from the car. We limped home from Iowa to Oklahoma,and lo and behold there are at least a thousand other people online that have had similar experiences. Honda, shame on you for not fixing this. Hello Ford, we will be in contact shortly.

Make it right, Honda.