Used 2004 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great Car With Bad AC
By brett758

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Positives: Bought my 04' CRV with 175k miles on it. It now has 250k miles on it and other than putting new tires on it and having the breaks done I have not had a single issue! Not one! The gas mileage (manual transmission 26-27mpg)is pretty good for an SUV. The AWD system has worked well in the snow and I can feel the back wheels turn on when I let the clutch out. Quality interior that has stood up the brutal Arizona sun. Negatives: I bought mine with an aftermarket AC compressor so I never had to deal with the issue but I have heard that it's a $3000 fix when the OEM one blows up. Road noise is bad, even with a new set of Michelins. Funky looking styling IMO.

Favorite Features

Bullet proof reliability and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to fix the road noise issue in all of it's cars, not just the CRV. Make sure you buy one that has had the factory AC compressor replaced with an aftermarket one. Why did they discontinue the manual gearbox after 20006?????

Great Car, pooly made AC & zero customer support
By teriyakiboy

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CR-V, this is true utility minded vehicle, which majority of today's SUV are lacking. Hence I baby my car. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the TSB on AC and class action that Honda settled in 2012 for $40M. It was a true wake up call when the compressor exploded, sending pieces of metals throughout the AC system, causing $4500+ damage. Honda America denied everything about the AC and compressor issues, calling internet info "competitor's lie", case action is "untrue", and they even went in extent to tell me that I was first person to report the problem. I'm royal to the local dealer, but I'm no longer royal to Honda brand.

Favorite Features

True Sport Utility. Full size spare mounted externally, side opening hatch, folding center console, minimal electronic function, moonroof...everything is just done right.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning / compressor needs recall, not just TSB! Even after the $40M class action settlement, Honda is in completely denial, which seems complete out of touch from reality. Honda America managed to lose a royal customer with a single phone call.

Not what I thought a Honda would be
By spdy3

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought for my wife used in 2007 with 18k miles. It was a Honda certified. It now has 142k miles. A/C blew up at 60k (absolute dishonesty from Honda on this issue) We complained to dealer and Honda; they both played dumb on the issue. I printed off many complaints on this from this site and Honda reluctantly agreed to cover except $800. O2 Sensors went out at 80k. The front strut mounts have gone out several times (we live on a 1/4 long dirt road). Overall decent reliability except the A/C. Honda skimped on everything from the A/C, to the complete lack of sound deadening and suspension travel. Handles well but rides horribly. I didn't see what my wife saw in the test drive.

Favorite Features

Decent MPG with AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Dynamat doors and floor, tiny tires don't come in all terrain tread. Demand the newer A/C compressor WHEN yours blows up!

Stay AWAY! A/C and air bag problems
By po1968

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a number of Honda's due to their reliability, I finally have a bad one, and it looks like others have the same issue. The A/C compressor went belly up and it's expensive to fix. There was a lawsuit about it, but too late to join [HTML removed.} I also have continued problems with side airbags where I get a message saying that they are turned off. It's been fixed twice and still it comes back. I don't think I'm willing to pay the premium for owning a Honda any longer when other car companies are improving their reliability and cost less.

HONDA JDM <3
By melomelo

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Okay so I love LOVE hondas but my crv i bought because i wanted a car that would best fit me and my new family i had a daughter two years ago and i wanted something more reliable and more room well.. of course looks like a mommy car off the bat but drives smooth i just changed my air box my bushings went bad but thats cuz i drove 145000+miles on it so everyday i drive 35 miles going ONE way so in one day its like 70+miles on my car but its built strong i love it i bought the car at 103,000 and i have had it for almost two years i love it! still going strong minor things have to be done like those bushings but its okay i drive alot and any car can last long as long as you MAINTAIN IT!!!

Favorite Features

overdrive, awd, smoothness of ride, moonroof

Suggested Improvements

GAS mileage but then again (this is an 04 model)