Used 2004 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 408 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

BEST CAR IVE EVER HAD
By Monica

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I moved 6 times with this car. Drove all over Florida with it, and it never broke down once. 100k miles on it and I have yet to find a problem with it. The speaks were soooo good, everybody thought I had special speakers put in. 10/10

Best car
By Lee Ann

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The best car I have ever owned!! My 2004 Honda CR-V just turned over 340,000 miles! The only real problem I had was the AC compressor which lasted until around 250,000 miles and I replaced for $1000! The tires last forever on this jewel! I am now looking for another Honda CR-V! I love, love, love this car! Wish I could buy another one just like it!

Great Car With Bad AC
By brett758

Positives:
Bought my 04' CRV with 175k miles on it. It now has 250k miles on it and other than putting new tires on it and having the breaks done I have not had a single issue! Not one! The gas mileage (manual transmission 26-27mpg)is pretty good for an SUV. The AWD system has worked well in the snow and I can feel the back wheels turn on when I let the clutch out. Quality interior that has stood up the brutal Arizona sun.

Negatives: I bought mine with an aftermarket AC compressor so I never had to deal with the issue but I have heard that it's a $3000 fix when the OEM one blows up. Road noise is bad, even with a new set of Michelins. Funky looking styling IMO.

Bullet proof reliability and gas mileage.

Honda needs to fix the road noise issue in all of it's cars, not just the CRV. Make sure you buy one that has had the factory AC compressor replaced with an aftermarket one. Why did they discontinue the manual gearbox after 20006?????

Great Car, pooly made AC & zero customer support
By teriyakiboy

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CR-V, this is true utility minded vehicle, which majority of today's SUV are lacking. Hence I baby my car.

Unfortunately, I was unaware of the TSB on AC and class action that Honda settled in 2012 for $40M. It was a true wake up call when the compressor exploded, sending pieces of metals throughout the AC system, causing $4500+ damage.

Honda America denied everything about the AC and compressor issues, calling internet info "competitor's lie", case action is "untrue", and they even went in extent to tell me that I was first person to report the problem.

I'm royal to the local dealer, but I'm no longer royal to Honda brand.

True Sport Utility. Full size spare mounted externally, side opening hatch, folding center console, minimal electronic function, moonroof...everything is just done right.

Air conditioning / compressor needs recall, not just TSB! Even after the $40M class action settlement, Honda is in completely denial, which seems complete out of touch from reality. Honda America managed to lose a royal customer with a single phone call.

Not what I thought a Honda would be
By spdy3

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought for my wife used in 2007 with 18k miles.
It was a Honda certified.
It now has 142k miles.
A/C blew up at 60k (absolute dishonesty from Honda on this issue)
We complained to dealer and Honda; they both played dumb on the issue.
I printed off many complaints on this from this site and Honda reluctantly agreed to cover except $800.
O2 Sensors went out at 80k.
The front strut mounts have gone out several times (we live on a 1/4 long dirt road).
Overall decent reliability except the A/C.
Honda skimped on everything from the A/C, to the complete lack of sound deadening and suspension travel.
Handles well but rides horribly.
I didn't see what my wife saw in the test drive.

Decent MPG with AWD.

Dynamat doors and floor, tiny tires don't come in all terrain tread. Demand the newer A/C compressor WHEN yours blows up!