2004 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great Car, pooly made AC & zero customer support
By teriyakiboy on 04/22/14 18:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CR-V, this is true utility minded vehicle, which majority of today's SUV are lacking. Hence I baby my car. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the TSB on AC and class action that Honda settled in 2012 for $40M. It was a true wake up call when the compressor exploded, sending pieces of metals throughout the AC system, causing $4500+ damage. Honda America denied everything about the AC and compressor issues, calling internet info "competitor's lie", case action is "untrue", and they even went in extent to tell me that I was first person to report the problem. I'm royal to the local dealer, but I'm no longer royal to Honda brand.

Not what I thought a Honda would be
By spdy3 on 08/23/13 22:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought for my wife used in 2007 with 18k miles. It was a Honda certified. It now has 142k miles. A/C blew up at 60k (absolute dishonesty from Honda on this issue) We complained to dealer and Honda; they both played dumb on the issue. I printed off many complaints on this from this site and Honda reluctantly agreed to cover except $800. O2 Sensors went out at 80k. The front strut mounts have gone out several times (we live on a 1/4 long dirt road). Overall decent reliability except the A/C. Honda skimped on everything from the A/C, to the complete lack of sound deadening and suspension travel. Handles well but rides horribly. I didn't see what my wife saw in the test drive.

Stay AWAY! A/C and air bag problems
By po1968 on 06/07/13 13:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a number of Honda's due to their reliability, I finally have a bad one, and it looks like others have the same issue. The A/C compressor went belly up and it's expensive to fix. There was a lawsuit about it, but too late to join [HTML removed.} I also have continued problems with side airbags where I get a message saying that they are turned off. It's been fixed twice and still it comes back. I don't think I'm willing to pay the premium for owning a Honda any longer when other car companies are improving their reliability and cost less.

HONDA JDM <3
By melomelo on 07/12/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Okay so I love LOVE hondas but my crv i bought because i wanted a car that would best fit me and my new family i had a daughter two years ago and i wanted something more reliable and more room well.. of course looks like a mommy car off the bat but drives smooth i just changed my air box my bushings went bad but thats cuz i drove 145000+miles on it so everyday i drive 35 miles going ONE way so in one day its like 70+miles on my car but its built strong i love it i bought the car at 103,000 and i have had it for almost two years i love it! still going strong minor things have to be done like those bushings but its okay i drive alot and any car can last long as long as you MAINTAIN IT!!!

Great Colorado college car
By ftstdnt_andmom on 04/09/12 00:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a full time college student and a mom so this car mostly fits the budget! I bought my car 6years ago with 32,000 miles now it has just over 175,000 (I drive a lot) it's showing it's age now. The biggest problem is the A/C unit. The clutch arm went out 3 years ago and it's just not feasible for me to have it repaired. Not having AC is annoying but not nearly as annoying as 2 complaining kids in the back seat.

Beware of the A/C issues
By ashowee28 on 01/24/12 07:07 AM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my CRV used in 2009 when it had 88,000 miles on it. On a trip back from Minnesota to my home state of Ohio, the A/C compressor blew out when we were 3 hours away from home in 95 degree weather!! It cost $750 to fix, even with us having a friend who is a Honda Certified mechanic who did the work for us practically labor-free.Honda knows of the A/C problems and wouldn't help me. Also began to have oil leakage issues and O2 sensor failure (check engine light coming on because of that) around a 100,000 miles. I've owned a lot of Hondas, but this one gave me more trouble than all my others combined. Just traded it in for a '06 Odyssey.

AC drags this guy down
By timjsmith on 11/30/11 07:31 AM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The AC unit in this SUV is the worst. Who cares if you can drive the car for 200,000 miles if every 50,000 you have to shell out 1500 bucks for a total rebuild of the AC unit. The dorks at Honda designed this this to fail, the compressor blows up right into the cooling radiator for the AC. This adds about 400 bucks to your repair total. Honda just settled a class action lawsuit about these crummy AC units. Beware of 2004-2006 CRVs. You need AC more than you might think. You have to get them fixed or you can't drive the car. The belt system requires that the AC unit be connected, and if it blows you cannot use the car.

105000 miles and still loving it
By idg914 on 11/28/11 15:55 PM (PST)

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this CR-V and I don't regret it one bit! At 65000 miles, the AC compressor blew up, I had been warned this might happen with this particular model. My dealer replaced the entire AC system under warranty with no problems after that. 100,000 miles rolled on by and I have never had any issues, mechanical or other with this car. The sunroof is still smooth, no rattles or noises, still solid and smooth. I do wish the seats were more supportive, but that is just about my only complaint. I'm looking to upgrade to a new car next year, and I'm looking forward to the 2012 model.

Great car for the money
By jt17 on 04/14/11 06:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my CRV new and got a good deal--last 2004 on lot and a 5 speed. I get great gas milage because of the standard transmission. When I clean it up, it still looks great. I have only had one problem with it in 7 years, beyond scheduled service. My A.C. unit blew up--literally. I was having problems with it when it was under warrenty. I took it to the dealership and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the A.C. unit. I took it in several times--finally the dealership told me after examining the car under the special "sonic ears"-nothing was wrong. The A.C. unit completely blew a couple months later when the warrenty expired--the cost $2,600 out of pocket.

The Bionic CR-V
By Tracey on 07/26/10 19:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After reading these reviews, I think I have the bionic cr-v. My car just turned over 100,000 while driving it today. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this car. It still looks new. I am JUST now replacing the front brakes after 100,000 miles and replaced the back brakes for the first time less than a year ago. My A/C works better than most cars that are brand new. There is excessive road noise and, true, the gas mileage could be better! My interior and exterior still look new. I don't have children or animals so that may be the reason. I love the inside design with the center tray. I too wish the back door didn't open to the side but that's the least of my desires for a vehicle. I love my car!