2003 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great, except for the air conditioning!
By graphicdavid on 08/09/06 22:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We've had our CR-V for three years. It's a great car generally, but it is now at the dealer for the second replacement of the air conditioning system. First time, it just quit working at 37,000 miles. Honda covered it for us under the original warranty. This time, at 56,000 miles, the compressor started growling. The $2000 repair will be covered by our extended warranty. Not sure I'll buy a Honda next time out....

03 CRV
By mark on 07/13/06 10:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My CRV has been free of any problems at 75000 miles. My only complaints about it are poor sound insulation, such that it's hard to listen to the radio on many highways, and a rough ride in the rear seat.

It all works great.
By KipK on 07/06/06 06:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2003 CR-V 4WD auto in June of 2003, replacing my wife's 1995 Maxima. She loves to shop yard/garage sales on the weekends. The CR-V is perfect for that. The CR-V is more fun to drive "around town" than my 2003 Pilot. After nearly 2 years of ownership, we took a road trip and arrived as refreshed as we would have in our Pilot. At 24K miles the reliability has been great. No problems except the power port fuse blowing twice when she charges her cell phone. She averages 22 town and 27 highway. I avg 2-3 mpg better for both. More than ample power around town and adiquate power on the road, most of the time. However, passing above 65 is a bit slow!

Good car, but a couple major problems
By Jman on 06/13/06 22:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 CR-V is the first new car my wife and I have owned. Value, and design were what made us decide on the CR-V over the Toyota Rav-4. All in all, we are pretty happy with our purchase. Only 2 major problems have occured in the past 3 years. The first one was the air conditioning system self destructing. Metal shavings went through the system and the entire thing had to be ripped out and replaced. The second one was the rear differential. The 2003 manual says every 60,000 miles the fluid needs to be replaced - under severe conditions. Buyer beware, it is more like every 15,000 to 20,000. Our rear diff was fried at 37,000. They replaced it under warranty though. $3000 worth.

Great for the long haul!
By RKHarr on 06/02/06 03:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Turned 190,000 miles after 38 months of ownership and absolutely no major mechanical repairs. We did routine maintenance, replaced tires once and the battery on this workhorse over that time. My company pays a vehicle allowance plus mileage and I could not imagine a better bang for their bucks. I am looking to sell or trade-in for the same car as the new body style becomes available for 2007. I have looked at several other wagons and small SUVs in this price range and the CRV is my winner.

Still lovin' it!
By BK CRV on 05/14/06 10:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this vehicle for a couple of years now with no problems. Looked at buying an Escape, but the CRV's better MPG was a selling point for me. Didn't need the power of a V6 either. Just wanted a SUV that could get me through the winters of the Northeast. The CRV handles it great. Replaced the stock tires for better performance with TripleTreds, and other than that she's been a treat to own and drive.

2003 CRV Honda
By Ron on 04/11/06 22:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Without a doubt this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. This 2003 AWD Honda CRV is very peppy & gets 23 MPH in the city and over 30 on a trip. I have owned 12 new vehicles in my life and this Honda has them all beat. Its trouble free and gets good gas mileage! What else could you ask for. I am a happy Honda Customer

blue book value
By vanessa castaneda on 03/15/06 06:49 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

very fun for athletes, road trips and extrememly reliable. Spacious and safe. Has a picnic table in trunk also.

Always in the repair shop
By ddebari on 02/20/06 16:11 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is perhaps the worse vehicle I have ever owned, In three years it has been in the service shop to replace the entire air conditioner unit. The last time occured in September 05 when the compressor exploded for the second time. Honda took the dash and front end of the car apart and then could not obtain a new compressor. the car remained in the shop for two weeks. When asked if they would extend the warranty on the AC, Honda denied the request and said it could not happen a third time. When it does I will sue DC Honda and Honda motors as many others have had the same problem.

2003CRV
By qadeb on 02/12/06 22:04 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV. Fun to drive, well designed. Love the 4WD on demand. Has saved us in snow, ice, & mud. Holds plenty of family and gear. Tows small boat ok. Never a problem except Air compressor blew up at 50,000 mi. Whole system had to be replaced. Honda provided parts but cost $700 in dealer labor. Have heard this is a problem for others.