2003 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Good Car But Beware of Air Cond Problems
By L. Adkins on 07/25/07 09:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have enjoyed my CR-V. It is great for road trips and hauling a lot of stuff. It's very comfortable to drive and I love sitting up higher than a car. My main minor complaint is noise in the cabin, especially on the highway, but I knew this was an issue before I bought it. Also, the 4 cyl engine seems to struggle at times, especially when accelerating. My major complaint - at 55k, the air compressor just blew and the entire system has to be replaced. Estimate is $3,000.

Honda not living up to reputation
By quietrider on 06/09/07 14:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After my disaster with my first car, a 94’ Ford Thunderbird, I decided to listen to my friends who told me of Honda’s legendary build quality. What I found with this CR-V was that it drove well and has a nice design; however, they did a lousy job with the air conditioner unit. It went out first in ’04 after only 31,000 miles on it. Then it went out again in ’06 when I had over 90,000 miles on it. Today 6/9/2007 it has gone out again. Other then this problem it has been a great vehicle.

2003 Honda CR-V
By JD NJ on 06/05/07 14:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The CRV has been a good car until recently. I agree with the other reviews which say that the car is fun to drive, decent gas mileage, power, etc. Minor problem began when it was two years old. It developed a rattle on the front right side and odd tire wear. Dealer still claims that they can not find a problem. Interior parts started to break through normal use and rubber matting on dash started to peel up. Now I am dealing with the A/C compressor failure which Honda denies is common in the 2002-2005 CRV. I hope that Honda will pay for A/C repairs 100% to help restore my confidence in them.

Great, solid car
By Laura on 04/03/07 16:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We really enjoyed our CR-V. At the time we bought it had the most rear leg and cargo room of other compact SUVs. The resale value, reliability and gas mileage sold us on the vehicle. Even after 4 years I still got 28 mpg highway. I loved it in the snow and never had any problems. The only draw back was comfort on long trips for my husband (steering wheel not telescopic and too far away vs needed leg room) and some blind spots typical of SUVs. I liked the hidden storage but see they changed it with the 07 model. It has been extremely reliable and was only in the shop once for A/C repair which was covered under warranty. I will miss my CR-V but decided to go with the larger Pilot.

Versatile, reliable car
By AM on 01/06/07 15:58 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost four years now and after 40,000 miles have had no major issues or problems with it. It's very reliable, fun to drive, handles nicely (has an incredible turning radius!). Peppy enough, although nothing special. Has been a good car for highway driving back and forth between school and also a safe car to take up skiing with plenty of room for a few people and their gear. I have been a little disappointed with the mileage though; only getting 20-21 in town and at best 26 on the highway.

Disappointed CRV owner
By diappsointed crv own on 12/11/06 05:14 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Disappointed with the mileage of my CRV. Sticker say 22-26. For the past 3.5 years I avg around 22-23 for all driving. A couple of times near 20. Highest has been 24.5 for a highway trip.

The Little Engine That Could
By J. R. Todd on 12/03/06 11:35 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's rather amazing...the power that Honda gets from its six cylinder CRV engine. I've been a Honda fan for decades, but this cross-over SUV is one of the finest cars I think they have ever made. As expected, it runs flawlessly, but what amazed me was when I put in four passengers and ran it through the mountains of western NC. It's had the power needed to zip us along at 65MPH...VERY comfortably, so much so that my passengers commented on how much 'bang' that 4 cylinder engine actually has. Power to spare. I love the vehicle...but have no use for the dealership..so I get the car serviced elsewhere. There's nothing about this car that isn't quality. JRT

3 yrs and counting...
By esteeze on 10/26/06 14:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my CR-V for 3 years now, and it has generally been an excellent vehicle. It is used mostly for daily work commuting (about 25 miles round trip), in a hilly, city environment. Also used as 2nd vehicle to carry our 3 kids, and for carrying tailgating equipment (during football season... Roll Tide!).

Less enthusiastic after 3.5 years
By ajchien on 09/13/06 16:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When first purchased, I experienced the PTTR issue. I had to tell the dealership about the TSB that was available to fix it. After the TSB, the PTTR was gone, and has been done for the next 50k+ miles. Now at 50k+ miles @ 3.5 years, the dreadful, well known on many websites (search for it), air conditioning failure occured. Total cost was $2840. American Honda decided to goodwill $2000 of the cost. It is still disappointing, becuase there really is no definite fix to the AC failure and it could happen again. The AC should not be a wear & tear item. There have been 3 actual safety recalls on the vehicle.

Love it!
By K W Salisbury on 08/18/06 14:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The only way I give up my crv is for a new crv. I'd like to go up to the ex model, but like to keep this one for my daughter when she is able to drive cause of the ease and safety. So I got three more years! If you got a small family (4), it beats all the competition hands down, and I previewed and test drove them all.