2003 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
So Far So Good
By amanda on 12/05/08 04:30 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle brand new. Wish it had a little more room in back seat. No major problems so far. Only problems experienced are door actuator on drivers door quit working and now key does not want to fit in door sometimes. Also, sometimes won't start, have to remove key and put in opposite way? Gets GREAT gas mileage though. So far, very dependable.

cr-AvE
By 2Market on 11/24/08 21:49 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely just love my CR-V! I totaled my 2000 CR-V back in April (negligence on the other side). I had 186,000 miles on my vehicle. I immediately started looking for another CR-V. I found a 2005, and a 2003. Went with the 2003, it only had 42k miles on it. I do not care for the new CR-Vs and know I will not buy one of that style in the future. No regulated spare tire, only a donut. No picnic table (c'mon guys, this was what the CR-V was known for when it first came out). It is time to rethink the CR-V features that we CR-V owners have been know to love so much.

I Still CRaVe my Honda
By Jesse James on 10/31/08 22:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Honda for 5 years and have appx. 97,000 miles on it. I live in/ near Los Angeles and have been everywhere there is a road and no roads in my Honda., the first weekend after I got it we went to Vegas, its been to Laughlin, San Francisco, TJ, Ensenada, Phoenix, Az., it's been up and down dirt roads semi muddy ones too and every time I look at after it's been just washed I fall in love all over again.

Quality slipped a bit
By EABTroy on 10/28/08 08:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Note I also own a 2000 CR-V. Honda improved upon the last CR-V, but they also cheapened it up. Our 2003, bought new, has had more problems than the last 10 cars I have had combined. Alternator, door actuator, two door light switches, carpet is crap, dashboard "plastic" can be visibly scratched with a fingernail, paint is easily chipped. I also understand the A/C should crap out at any time. Honda also still have the 4wd service listed at 100K miles, not 30K like what is required. The dealer has been helpful, but it's unbelievable for a Honda to be like this. Fortunately, my parents got a 2007 CR-V and, suffice to say, Honda learned their lesson!

Honda CRV A/C Problem
By Unhappy Honda Owner on 08/24/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We're very unhappy about having to shell out $1,618 for a new A/C system a couple weeks ago for our '03 Honda CR-V. Vehicle hadn't quite hit 70,000 miles and was no longer under warranty. We didn't want to sweat through a hot, humid MN summer without A/C, and dealership wouldn't even consider a trade-in without it being fixed. So didn't feel we had much choice in the matter. Honda evidently covered about $2,200 in parts, and the dealership provided us with a loaner, for which we were grateful, but still a big financial hit when we could least afford it. Very disappointed in Honda quality. Lots of people seem to be experiencing same problem. They need to do a recall.

Reliable but Cramped Leg Room
By Tom on 08/13/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My CR-V is a great car for someone who is less than 6 feet tall and doesn't want to go off road very often. I am 6' 2" and cannot drive it on long trips because the leg room is cramped. Also, the AWD uses an open transfer case with open axles, meaning you really have one wheel drive. The CR-V is great for urban moms who want a large rear trunk area. Very reliable and good gas mileage, great build quality.

Disappointed in Ontario
By G Davis on 08/08/08 11:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Recently traded my 2000 Pontiac Montana for a 2003 Honda CR-V. After 3 years of constant repairs on the Montana I was so excited to own a "reliable" vehicle. Well, last week the compressor in the air conditioning unit went and I now have to fork out $1500.+ to replace it. I am very disappointed. I have owned several Hondas and they have always been reliable & reasonable to maintain. After reading the reviews, I may just fix it and sell it as this seems to be an ongoing problem. Heads up, Honda. The North American car manufacturers have let the buying public down horribly with their poorly designed and built vehicles. Don't follow suit! Gas mileage also not as good as expected.

Best idea I every had
By craftyhorse on 07/25/08 21:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I use to own a truck and needed something that can haul people and stuff and get good gas mileage. This little car has it all. I even pull a trailer with 5 people in it and still get about 23 to 25 mpg. I get about 27 to 29 with the right gas and drive the speed limit. Does tight turns very well and I love to show that off. After I bought one, my parents needed a tow vehicle and ended up buying the 2007 edition.

Piece of JUNK!
By Michael on 07/22/08 05:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have less than 53,000 miles on my 2003 CR-V and have spent over $4,500 on it in the past 8 months. New AC, new struts, new ABS brakes, new emissions controller, new SRS controller and more. And of course, all this started happening very shortly after my warranty expired.

Super Reliability
By ibjcus on 07/19/08 18:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 5 years ago and have had very few problems. The cheap tires that came with it had to be replaced after one year. We have also replaced the backup light switch and a relay for the blower motor. We just replaced the rear brakes at 105,000 miles but the front still had some life left. Gas mileage isn't great at 23-26 mpg. Great in the snow once the original tires were replaced. This car won't win any races and if it does the gas mileage will really be poor. However the engine is still pretty powerful up in the mountains with a full load, and you can pass confidently on the highway. Super maneuverable in parking lots and tight spaces. Very noisy on the highway.