2003 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
No So Good Honda
By Gail on 07/10/09 14:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed and surprised at the unreliability of the 2003 CRV. I thought Honda's lasted a long time with standard maintenance. I had to replace the tires not long after I got the car. The ones that come with the car are poor and unstable. My seatbealts are difficult to use and don't slide back and forth as they should. The security light stayed on because one of the seatbeats was not working at all. A part had to be ordered. Another one is a nightmare to use. I have had to replace one of the oxygen sensors for $550.00. Now my clutch and air conditioner are going out. That's another $2000 plus. Because of this, I will not purchase another Honda and will now trade this one in.

Very disappointed
By Monie on 07/04/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Honda thinking I wouldn't have any issues. I bought it used but certified. I got the carfax had one owner. I have had the air conditioner blow up twice. I also have had several other issues. Thank god I got the extended warranty that covered most of the problems. I do mean most. They always seem to come up with things it didn't cover. I am about to hit 100k miles and really thinking about trading it in because I can't cover any more problems.

Disappointed in Honda
By Peter on 07/01/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Between my wife and I we have owned four Hondas, 3 Accords and now 1 2003 CRV EX. We purchased each Honda new and all three Accords were fantastic reliable vehicles. I thought that I was a Honda customer for life. Then we bought a new 2003 CRV. It's now 6 years old with only 49K miles on it. We've replaced 2 sensors ($450), all four brake pads and rotors ($500) and now both front struts + a front end alignment ($600). I can understand all of these wear items around the 100K area, but not at 49K miles. In reading through other reviews, looks like I can expect the AC to go soon too. We'll try Toyota soon. Honda, learn from the quality errors of the big three, or you may be sorry.

A Thankful Purchase
By lonefish on 04/21/09 22:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really have no complaints about this vehicle, and can come up with none. I did not purchase it for off road use, but being a handicapped/disabled male, 57 years of age, it sure fit the bill!

Good reliable transportation
By Johncon on 03/24/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new in 2003 and have had few problems with it. The OEM tires are poor and had to be replaced at 24000 miles, but other than that, the car has been very reliable. Great in the snow and comfortable. Replaced the following: Back up light switch 50000 miles Resistor in blower motor 60,000 miles Brakes replaced at 100000 (pads) Battery 110000 miles Serpentine belt at 60000 and 120000 I have been advised to replace front struts due to leakage but as they still work fine I have ignored this. The rest has been normal scheduled maintenance.

Legitimate complaints
By dewey24022008 on 02/14/09 15:41 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I enjoy the driveability, seating, storage and gas mileage. It now has 80,000km which is 50,000miles. We find the plastic used on interior marks easily. The plastic that surrounds the clothe upholstery is cracking.The seat belts do not retract without help. The Bridgestone tires had to be replaced at 66,000 or 41,000 miles. The brakes had to be replaced at same time but some of problem could have been a lot of downhill braking. When making sharp turns to park or move in slow driving there is an obvious rumble from the rear wheels more obvious on sharp right movements. My mechanic is not familiar with the Honda 4 wheel drive system. It will have to go to Honda for evaluation.

Bad Apple from the Honda Tree
By Dante on 02/06/09 10:47 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The day we drove off the lot and started driving our shiny new EX on the highway I tested the cruise control. It wasn't working. Had to leave the car with the dealer for 2 days to fix. Then within 8 months had 3 recalls on this . At 18000 had to get new brakes and at 26000 new tires. At 78,000 2 of my engine mounts broke which affected the axles. So for $750 got that fixed (by my mechanic), the dealer told me that it will cost me $1,600. Now I have to replace the bushings. Its been not a good experience owning this vehicle. By the way most of the driving is highway and local. I wouldn't dream of taking this offroad. Never recommending a Honda product to my worst enemies (or friends).

Beware of A/C Compressor Issues
By Tim on 01/26/09 08:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We owned this car for a little over 2 years and it was definitely a great car overall EXCEPT for the A/C compressor issues. The compressor blew not once, BUT TWICE on us within a 6-month period and the car only has 62,000 miles on it! Honda would NOT help us out with goodwill assistance and insisted it's not a known issue (do an internet search and you'll find that's NOT true). If you get one without A/C issues then it would probably still be a great car to own - very practical.

A Satisfied Owner
By MikeS on 12/28/08 23:57 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In 5 years and 140k miles, I have had no mechanical problems with this car. In that sense, I'm very pleased with it's reliability. The exterior design is nothing to go crazy over. I have the roof rack which is not very useful when you need to tie something down to it, but was necessary for installing a roof carrier when camping. As for the interior, I do like the fact that the moonroof does not eat up a bunch of headroom, and the split rear seats allow for a lot of storage in the back. I also like the foldup table. I don't understand how people can get 25 - 27 mpg in their CR-V. I have yet to get over 22, which is my biggest complaint along with the lack of power of the engine.

Reliable Car so far...
By janet on 12/15/08 15:37 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my CRV (with sun roof and 6 CD player) in 2003 and haven't had any major issues. Runs well, reliable car, great going to the Mt for skiing, drives well in the interior/hot weather. All in all, a good car.