2003 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
High maintenance after 75000 miles
By T Anderson on 03/06/10 07:19 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very noisy - hard to hear radio on most roads in the Northwest. Very high maintenance after 75000 miles. Examples: Drivers side door lock malfunction. 2. Left passenger door lock actuator malfunction.3. Cruise control computer system malfunction. 4. Air bag indicator malfunction. 4. Timing belt side mount replacement. Items 1-4 cost $1200 in repairs! Honda dealer had a very hard time diagnosing cruise control problem. i.e., many false fixes.

CRV is a DISASTER!
By Honda NO more! on 01/22/10 08:46 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am so frustrated right now, it seems our mechanic sees the car more! We have had front strut issues, tire issues, brakes going to early, AC issues, and when I am driving it sometimes feels like I have a manual trans and have the gear too high, I am afraid what that means. Now the emissions warning is on, back door latch is getting lax. I want to get rid of this terrible terrible car soon! I like the looks hate the car. We don't have alot money to constantly be fixing this!!

just not for me
By billie on 01/09/10 17:57 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this used crv to save money and downgrade from my 2007 F350 Crew Cab PSD. Since I'm used to large trucks this was a huge transition. Thought it wasn't bad test driving it, but I didn't ride as a passenger and did the next day after buying and that is when I noticed how small it felt. I felt cramped and the seats became uncomfortable.

Great Reliability and Safe Too
By Chad on 11/03/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a fantastic buy for my family. After 140,000 miles and nothing more than oil changes, brakes and tires it was tragically destroyed in a pretty serious car accident. $15k in damage later and on one was seriously injured. Never had any issues with A/C... We liked this car so much, we found the exact same car and bought it with the insurance money.

Ripped off
By douglas fontaine on 09/23/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My girlfriend purchased this vehicle with 50,000 mi. on it which we figured for a Honda this was nothing. At 90,000 mi the transmission started to shift into overdrive too early and the vehicle would lug like a standard shift in to high of a gear. We had an extended warranty to 100000mi. and brought it in to the dealer in our area and a so called technician took it for a day and came back and of course said he didn't notice anything. So we left and of course a few thousand miles after the warranty ran out we had to fork out 3000 bucks on a transmission. Thanks Honda. I won't ever buy or recommend you again.

This LEMON should be selling lemonade!
By mbpace on 09/23/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in May 2003. 2 weeks later the radio stops working. It's "fixed" and then stops working 2 months later. This time the radio is replaced. About 15 months later radio goes out again. After "fixing" twice, radio is replaced AGAIN! Dec 2003 drivers seat won't lock in place fixed 2 times and then new seat put in. Feb 2005 locks don't work and fixed Apr 2006 CD player stops working "fixed" Sept 2007 A/C compressor- pin shears off and sends metal fragments through A/C, entire system replaced Jan 2009. CD player won't release CD's Sept 2009 A/C broken AGAIN, bucking like a horse when idle $1500 to fix what they "think" is wrong since car drove ok for them except for A/C!

CRV or Bust!!
By irishgal on 09/21/09 15:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ok...so it's a smaller SUV but our family of four LOVE the CRV. Really. Turn radius is super, comfortable, verrrry reliable and fun/easy to drive! Gas mileage is about 22 hwy. 18 or so city. Good storage room in back. We've had 5 people (2 adults/3 kids) and they're not squished. There are no blind spots, either. Important for me!!

Beware cruise control
By dave on 08/19/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never wanted a Honda CRV. Caved into the dealership sales pitch. Took awhile, but really enjoy driving it, very much. Mine has 67,000 miles and will simply keep driving it. Two things, 1.) the CRUISE CONTROL separated from its location in the engine at 57,000 miles. Dealership said "out-of-warranty" and quoted $986.00 to fix, then indicated that this happened to another customer. They said they would supply the part, I pay for the labor. OK. That was a year ago, and even after several phone calls to them, I still have no cruise control. Also, at 17,000 miles the drivers side floor carpet split, Honda said it was due to "usage". No, it was poor installation.

Totally Disappointed in Honda Quality
By Martha on 08/14/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Like other 2003 CRV owners, I bought with expectations of "Honda quality." My air conditioner went out at 56K miles, and to their credit, Honda paid for parts; I paid for labor. At 118K it went out again. I was told it was "too far out of warranty" for them to replace the AC again. I assume keeping a Honda for 200+K means replacing the AC every 55K miles??? The oxygen sensor is also out, so I am a soon-to-be EX-Honda owner. Had planned to buy a Civic next, but not now. Detroit should be a lesson on squandering a good reputation and letting quality slip. I don't know what it costs for Honda to get a new customer, but it cost them an AC replacement to lose a "Honda for life" customer.

Shake, Rattle and Roll
By LGBoston on 08/06/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first new car. The first two years were bliss because I overlooked little things that are now driving me crazy. And each month a new noise appears. The linkage is awful but my mechanic tightens it up regularly. Brakes failed me on a bridge in Virginia last August. Horrifying but let me tell you how grateful I am to have a standard transmission. All tires have been replaced. Monday the new starter goes in. The road noise which I cheerfully ignored because I was driving a HONDA is now torture. The original battery lasted 3 months. The passenger side door lock does not open automatically any more. Fuses have been replaced. Never again.