Used 2003 Honda CR-V LX SUV Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Decent rig
By Jakob Verlinde

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2003 Murano that was about to blow up for this 2003 base line CRV. At first I didn't like it but it was the ol' ladies car so it's whatever. Bought it for $5,000 off the lot after everything said and done. The fuel economy is great but the tank is really small so you can get about 300 miles per tank if you don't crack vtec every take off and do massive burnouts... the engine has 140,000 miles and starting making a horendous valve ticking sound I guess it's common and its recommended to get it adjusted every 60,000 miles for $350 at the local Honda dealer (Klein Honda) I said screw that I can get a used engine from Japan with 45,000 miles for $600 if it blows up. I use diesel oil for oil changes and it seems to actually run better on it and it quiets the ticking down. It is a base model so nothing special, the radio screen kinda turns off but if you hit the dash hard enough it turns back on. It's only 2wd which concerned me but I took it out on the beach and smashed on it in the sand, took it out in the mud once too, of course I cleaned it good so I wouldnt be in the dog house but it never once got stuck and it pulled through well. Also I used it to pull my father in laws dodge ram 2500 out from the side of the house and it did great. I use it for everything it's not intended for and it works great.

A long term friend
By ELAINE LICARI

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate to sell this car after 13 years of great service. The only reason I am buying a new car is b/c the 2003 has 180,000 miles and I didn't want to push the luck I had for so long. When I went to buy another Honda CRV (stick with a winner), there was another car on the lot just like mine (except it had automatic transmission and mine was manual). It had 400,000 miles on it.

LOVED My CR-V
By jval

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dad purchased the 2003 CR-V LX 4WD new in 2002. When I was ready to drive, he passed it down to me. I drove it for the next eight years with only a few fixes. The front/rear brakes and alternator were the most major repairs, but with good reason. I went to school in Ithaca, NY for four years and the snow/sleet/hail took its toll. For the winter beatings it went through, it held up great.

I recently got in an accident and my CR-V was totaled - a Chevy truck hit my front passenger wheel. The impact hit all the right spots and my poor CR-V couldn't be repaired. It was only at 78,500 miles. It's a HUGE shame - this car had many years left in it. I miss it greatly.

Very cramped Noisy but great cargo space
By Sam K

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

if you're the primary driver and you're over 5' 7', don't buy unless you want back pain and/or heel pain. I am 5' 10" and find that my seat even if all the way back my knees are off the seat which gives me foot pain. My wife is 5' 2" and my father in law is 5' 6" and both are thin. If we add the car seat, it's hard for them to sit. The middle seat-belt is a joke. Very, very, very noisy interior. Especially if you're driving on 101 South LOL. Forget talking on cell phones inside this SUV or even having a decent conversation along with light music.

- Great fuel econ. 23 in city driving. 30+ on highway. - Great cargo. Fold front seat and back seats and we got a 7' book case - Parks like a car fits small spaces - 4 cyl but carries 5 people with ease on the steep san fran street - excellent turn radius - Very sporty driving. Not lethargic.

seats are very bad. Gives me a back pain. Upholstery is very plain. Like said above, the front seat either needs to go higher or more back. I have to fold up an old t-shirt under my right leg to give me the right angle. Maybe I'm too tall for this SUV. LOL. Reduce cabin noise please!

Ripped off
By douglas fontaine

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My girlfriend purchased this vehicle with 50,000 mi. on it which we figured for a Honda this was nothing. At 90,000 mi the transmission started to shift into overdrive too early and the vehicle would lug like a standard shift in to high of a gear. We had an extended warranty to 100000mi. and brought it in to the dealer in our area and a so called technician took it for a day and came back and of course said he didn't notice anything. So we left and of course a few thousand miles after the warranty ran out we had to fork out 3000 bucks on a transmission. Thanks Honda. I won't ever buy or recommend you again.

Roomy