2003 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great Car for Long term Purchase
By zhenchok on 12/03/13 11:43 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car off lease when it had 18k it now has 150k with no issues. I keep saying to myself I'll buy a new car when my current car breaks, but it still works perfectly. Sure it't not as smooth as it was when I first got it, but at 150k this is the best vehicle purchase I've ever made. I recently bought 90k warranty tires because I know that it will last another 100k without any issues. I basically did my oil changes, regular maintenance, break replacement, and tire replacements. Two years ago my a/c went out and I had to replace a rear door lock sensor, but other than that I have not had any mechanical issues at all. If you want a reliable car for long term purchase, get a CRV!

Potentially serious issues with a 2003 HONDA CR-V
By gzp2013 on 07/15/13 10:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

1. Changed all door lock actuators, including the hatch door 2. Poor to dangerous car stability on two occasions First time on a slightly icy road the car did a 180 degree turn while driving at 40 miles/hour, I landed on the opposite direction of a two way street, fortunately nobody was driving on the other side Second time the car did a 90 degree turn on a slightly wet road, again driving ~ 35-40 miles/hour On both occasions the CR-V had top of the line tires that were in fine condition I have also been driving VW and Hyundai cars and never had this kind of experiences as I had with the CR-V

Great First Car!
By bsmithmcrobie on 03/12/12 18:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car used when it was 7 years old and we used it for me to learn how to drive and to have. It was a very reliable car and I loved to have it. It came in handy when all my friends and I wanted to go to the ocean for a weekend and we'd pack my CR-V and fit comfortably. I got a decent trade-in and got a Honda Civic so I had something better on fuel that I would have after college.

LOVE!!! I dread the day I have to replace it
By tessa77 on 01/04/12 11:32 AM (PST)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever purchased!!!! I bought my 2003 Cr-V brand new and 9 years later have put 160,000 miles on it. I have had no major repair issues that are not associated with normal wear and tear. I did have to replace the A/C compressor, but only once and after 100,000 miles of use. I put mainly highway miles on it in New England with snow, ice, road salt, and a heavy lead foot without a problem. It drives like a dream and I have no issues with noise. I have been rearended on the highway 3 times and only sustained significant damage with the 3rd accident. This car is very well built and incredibly safe. I wish Honda still made them the same way.

LOVED My CR-V
By jval on 08/17/11 12:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dad purchased the 2003 CR-V LX 4WD new in 2002. When I was ready to drive, he passed it down to me. I drove it for the next eight years with only a few fixes. The front/rear brakes and alternator were the most major repairs, but with good reason. I went to school in Ithaca, NY for four years and the snow/sleet/hail took its toll. For the winter beatings it went through, it held up great. I recently got in an accident and my CR-V was totaled - a Chevy truck hit my front passenger wheel. The impact hit all the right spots and my poor CR-V couldn't be repaired. It was only at 78,500 miles. It's a HUGE shame - this car had many years left in it. I miss it greatly.

A/C On Elm Street
By jboo on 07/19/10 16:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Yes, another A/C nightmare story! I am on my 6th, yes SIXTH, A/C since I bought this otherwise nifty car new in 2003. Not happy here, however, the A/C guy is thrilled.

Honda CR-V Air Conditioner Issue Cover Up
By Mac PSP on 07/12/10 21:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Honda CR-V new, it now has just over 70,000 miles, last week the air conditioning system failed and wiped out the entire system. The dealer wanted $2000 to replace the system. I refused and checked out the issue on line. As it turns out there are multiple year air conditioning failures on the CR-V. Honda's USA Corporate office is refusing to acknowledge to there is an issue. I am contacting the California State Attorney General and an attorney. Honda's Corporate Customer Service Rep would not let me make a point on the phone and told me, "I might want to be quiet before I stuck my foot in my mouth!" This is typical of how Honda has handled this problem. Stay tuned!

Here One Not Depressingly Apperciated
By hbechara on 05/11/10 00:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I swapped my (BMW 323i 2001) into this car, was seeking for better fuel economy simply by thinking a 4cyl consume less than 6 cyl But unfortunately i was WRONG! in addition to the super 24 valves where each plays its own orchestra with unsupportable noises. The AWD sounds like you are driving a tank, simply lots of noises with a poor sound system. About the interior, don't expect something more than Honda, Luxury is devilish and we must keep away. Great A/C but you may freeze in front seats to comfort who's sitting in the back. Bad deviation if accelerating up in a ramp.

Best ever
By meadowmaven on 04/19/10 17:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned Toyota and Honda going back 35 years and have liked them all. they have performed well with little maintenance. This CR-V has been the best all round vehicle for reliability, comfort and versatility. Nothing but regular maintenance after 7 years, my tall husband is comfortable driving it, and just about everything fits in it thanks to its boxier style. Good going Honda

Very cramped Noisy but great cargo space
By Sam K on 04/19/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

if you're the primary driver and you're over 5' 7', don't buy unless you want back pain and/or heel pain. I am 5' 10" and find that my seat even if all the way back my knees are off the seat which gives me foot pain. My wife is 5' 2" and my father in law is 5' 6" and both are thin. If we add the car seat, it's hard for them to sit. The middle seat-belt is a joke. Very, very, very noisy interior. Especially if you're driving on 101 South LOL. Forget talking on cell phones inside this SUV or even having a decent conversation along with light music.