Used 2003 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great Car for Long term Purchase
By zhenchok

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car off lease when it had 18k it now has 150k with no issues. I keep saying to myself I'll buy a new car when my current car breaks, but it still works perfectly. Sure it't not as smooth as it was when I first got it, but at 150k this is the best vehicle purchase I've ever made. I recently bought 90k warranty tires because I know that it will last another 100k without any issues. I basically did my oil changes, regular maintenance, break replacement, and tire replacements. Two years ago my a/c went out and I had to replace a rear door lock sensor, but other than that I have not had any mechanical issues at all. If you want a reliable car for long term purchase, get a CRV!

I love how roomy it is, the gas millage has been great, and the fact that it is reliable. It is a very practical car. Sure, its not the best looking car out on the road after 11 years. Yes, I can afford a car that is double the cost of a new CRV. But, when I originally bought my car 11 years ago, I wanted efficient gas mileage, reliable, easy to maintain, roomy enough to go camping. 11 years later I have not replaced it simply because I want to see how long it will last. If you are more into looks and vogue then don't get a CRV, but if you want a reliable car that is efficient, I think that this car is a great value. My car was assembled in the UK.

It is 11 years old, i have no issues with it after this many years of driving it. I hope that Honda fixed their A/C compressor pump issue with this model. A lot of people were having A/C issues. Seats have never been too comfortable.

Potentially serious issues with a 2003 HONDA CR-V
By gzp2013

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

1. Changed all door lock actuators, including the hatch door 2. Poor to dangerous car stability on two occasions First time on a slightly icy road the car did a 180 degree turn while driving at 40 miles/hour, I landed on the opposite direction of a two way street, fortunately nobody was driving on the other side Second time the car did a 90 degree turn on a slightly wet road, again driving ~ 35-40 miles/hour On both occasions the CR-V had top of the line tires that were in fine condition I have also been driving VW and Hyundai cars and never had this kind of experiences as I had with the CR-V

Great First Car!
By bsmithmcrobie

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car used when it was 7 years old and we used it for me to learn how to drive and to have. It was a very reliable car and I loved to have it. It came in handy when all my friends and I wanted to go to the ocean for a weekend and we'd pack my CR-V and fit comfortably. I got a decent trade-in and got a Honda Civic so I had something better on fuel that I would have after college.

I loved the sunroof and the 4WD.

More horsepower and acceleration with better fuel economy. I understand it's a 2003 but having better fuel econ and better acceleration would have made this car a keeper.

LOVE!!! I dread the day I have to replace it
By tessa77

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever purchased!!!! I bought my 2003 Cr-V brand new and 9 years later have put 160,000 miles on it. I have had no major repair issues that are not associated with normal wear and tear. I did have to replace the A/C compressor, but only once and after 100,000 miles of use. I put mainly highway miles on it in New England with snow, ice, road salt, and a heavy lead foot without a problem. It drives like a dream and I have no issues with noise. I have been rearended on the highway 3 times and only sustained significant damage with the 3rd accident. This car is very well built and incredibly safe. I wish Honda still made them the same way.

Safety, handling, real-time 4 wheel drive, cargo space, maneuverability

The headrest on the rear middle seat obscures view out the back (have had it removed since I first bought the car)

LOVED My CR-V
By jval

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dad purchased the 2003 CR-V LX 4WD new in 2002. When I was ready to drive, he passed it down to me. I drove it for the next eight years with only a few fixes. The front/rear brakes and alternator were the most major repairs, but with good reason. I went to school in Ithaca, NY for four years and the snow/sleet/hail took its toll. For the winter beatings it went through, it held up great. I recently got in an accident and my CR-V was totaled - a Chevy truck hit my front passenger wheel. The impact hit all the right spots and my poor CR-V couldn't be repaired. It was only at 78,500 miles. It's a HUGE shame - this car had many years left in it. I miss it greatly.