Used 2003 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Most Helpful|
A/C On Elm Street
By jboo

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Yes, another A/C nightmare story! I am on my 6th, yes SIXTH, A/C since I bought this otherwise nifty car new in 2003. Not happy here, however, the A/C guy is thrilled.

Suggested Improvements

A/C and engineering so that changing lanes does not require agility of an owl. Otherwise, love my car.

Great Reliability and Safe Too
By Chad

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a fantastic buy for my family. After 140,000 miles and nothing more than oil changes, brakes and tires it was tragically destroyed in a pretty serious car accident. $15k in damage later and on one was seriously injured. Never had any issues with A/C... We liked this car so much, we found the exact same car and bought it with the insurance money.

Favorite Features

Lots of interior room, strong running engine, build quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage wasn't great for a 4cyl, but this isn't a car. Seat belts are a little finicky for retraction, but they saved my wife and kids' lives so they worked when it mattered, as did the air bags.

Honda CR-V Air Conditioner Issue Cover Up
By Mac PSP

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Honda CR-V new, it now has just over 70,000 miles, last week the air conditioning system failed and wiped out the entire system. The dealer wanted $2000 to replace the system. I refused and checked out the issue on line. As it turns out there are multiple year air conditioning failures on the CR-V. Honda's USA Corporate office is refusing to acknowledge to there is an issue. I am contacting the California State Attorney General and an attorney. Honda's Corporate Customer Service Rep would not let me make a point on the phone and told me, "I might want to be quiet before I stuck my foot in my mouth!" This is typical of how Honda has handled this problem. Stay tuned!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, that is it.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy a CR-V!

Very cramped Noisy but great cargo space
By Sam K

2003 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

if you're the primary driver and you're over 5' 7', don't buy unless you want back pain and/or heel pain. I am 5' 10" and find that my seat even if all the way back my knees are off the seat which gives me foot pain. My wife is 5' 2" and my father in law is 5' 6" and both are thin. If we add the car seat, it's hard for them to sit. The middle seat-belt is a joke. Very, very, very noisy interior. Especially if you're driving on 101 South LOL. Forget talking on cell phones inside this SUV or even having a decent conversation along with light music.

Favorite Features

- Great fuel econ. 23 in city driving. 30+ on highway. - Great cargo. Fold front seat and back seats and we got a 7' book case - Parks like a car fits small spaces - 4 cyl but carries 5 people with ease on the steep san fran street - excellent turn radius - Very sporty driving. Not lethargic.

Suggested Improvements

seats are very bad. Gives me a back pain. Upholstery is very plain. Like said above, the front seat either needs to go higher or more back. I have to fold up an old t-shirt under my right leg to give me the right angle. Maybe I'm too tall for this SUV. LOL. Reduce cabin noise please!

LOVE!!! I dread the day I have to replace it
By tessa77

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever purchased!!!! I bought my 2003 Cr-V brand new and 9 years later have put 160,000 miles on it. I have had no major repair issues that are not associated with normal wear and tear. I did have to replace the A/C compressor, but only once and after 100,000 miles of use. I put mainly highway miles on it in New England with snow, ice, road salt, and a heavy lead foot without a problem. It drives like a dream and I have no issues with noise. I have been rearended on the highway 3 times and only sustained significant damage with the 3rd accident. This car is very well built and incredibly safe. I wish Honda still made them the same way.

Favorite Features

Safety, handling, real-time 4 wheel drive, cargo space, maneuverability

Suggested Improvements

The headrest on the rear middle seat obscures view out the back (have had it removed since I first bought the car)