Used 2002 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

3rd and last Honda
By disappointed

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Aug 08. Problems began after 75,000. Airbag light on for most of the time. Air conditioning died at 90,000 miles. Transmission dead at 105K and the gas tank neck needed to be replaced. After 165K the alternator died, leaving me on the side of a busy highway. All told, I have spent over $6,000 in repairs on top of regular maintenance. I would say the CRV is a piece of junk, but every one I know who has one, loves it and has had no problems at all. I got a lemon. But the highway incident was the last straw. Last night i bought a Volvo.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better quality of air conditioner, alternator, and catalytic converter construction.

Multiple Replacements of Rear Brakes
By UpstateJohn

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wifes CRV...a great car with only one outstanding exception. Multiple complete Replacements of the rear brake systems, complete calipers and rotors. Due to complete lockups of the rear brakes, the first replacement of calipers and rotors was performed under warranty at about 16,000 miles. Honda covered it. Second replacement was and about 37,000 miles, Honda covered that even though past 36,000 miles. Dealer said a bad batch of calipers were used in the first replacement session. (OK, then why the 2nd freeze up?) Then a THIRD replacement was necessary of the calipers and rotors at about 58,000 due to another freezeup and warping the rotors, At our cost. Disappointing. Great Car though

Favorite Features

Great Handling, Great AC, Super fast heat (2 minutes) for Rochester, NY weather.

Suggested Improvements

Better designed rear brake system, 2 inches more rear travel on drivers seat. Check engine light on due to cannister switch which requires complete cannister replacement.

FANTASTIC VEHICLE!!
By tlccar1

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying is any vehicle perfect? No. But this CR-V comes close. It is very roomy, fun to drive, gets decent mileage (22 mpg all the time) for an SUV and is as reliable as can be. It is great in the snow and gives a firm but comfortable ride. We replaced an Accord wagon that was loved but this CR-V has surpassed our expectations. If you want reliable transportation wrapped in good looks and comfort, the CR-V is the way to go.

Favorite Features

Loaded with storage areas, excellent climate control system, roomy and comfortable for a small SUV. As stated earlier, it gets 22 mpg all the time regardless of highway or city driving. I think that is respectable for a 3500 pound AWD vehicle. Acceleration is great and it has been bulletproof with over 100k on it now. It handles great for an SUV too. Great visibility and predictable handling. Tons of cargo room - and the table is awesome for picnics!

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastic scratches far too easily. Also I am not thrilled with the fact that Honda suggests 26 psi for tire pressure. It is a little too soft and if you increase it even by a few pounds the ride quality suffers greatly. I believe they have changed this on the newer CR-V's. Aside from these minor gripes, there really is nothing else we can complain about.

My last Honda
By Anonymous

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This review is not to bash the Honda, but let people be aware of potential problems with this vehicle. At about 70k km. the power steering pump had to be replaced, no a big deal since it was under warranty. At around 80k km. both rear wheel bearings had to be replaced – under warranty. Once the vehicle was off warranty the following items had to be replaced – all wheel bearings, the whole struts assembly (over $1200), ABS sensor, catalytic converter (over $1000), recently my u-joints “went” but they cannot be replace – the whole drive-shaft has to be replaced (over $1000). Currently some bushings should be replaced but I am putting this off, and seat belt sensor is not working ($300).

Favorite Features

Cargo space, little table, back seats

Suggested Improvements

Quality, road noise, fuel economy.

11 years later
By preble

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2002. After 11 years, we have had so few problems. I live in constant fear of the A/C compressor exploding, but that is about it. Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle for our Golden Retrievers.Recently looked at the new Crv's, and they seem much less spacious. Won't ever trade this in. Ever

Favorite Features

Seats fold flat and lots of space

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be more comfortable for longer drives