Used 2002 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Reliable
By Jat

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our CRV new. Have had it now for almost 7 years, it has 117,000 miles on it and still going. It had one major repair (Carburator) last year. Other than that, no major repairs. A good record in my opinion. It has started all winter except when it was more than -20. But my spouses new car didn't start either. Right now the engine light is on and we can't really resolve that matter. Given the age and mileage on it, it is to be expected I guess. My one negative thing is the paint finish. Ours is gold and has chipped in places since early on. We were told it was not a defect. Don't believe that. Very reliable. Have always gotten to where I needed to go.

Sunroof, trunk area

Paint finish. However reliability of it far outweighs a few paint chips.

Great SUV good gas and comfy
By music2me2

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Honda CR-V I have had. It is a great vehicle dependable and a miser on gas. I have gone from Arizona to San Diego in just about a tank of gas. Mine came with 6-disc changer moonroof and all wheel drive. I have taken mine skiing and the 4wheel drive was a nice feature. I didn't get stuck and I was impressed.

Reliability, gas mileage and comforts on long trips.

rear ac would be nice!

Best car I've ever owned!
By Tricia

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2002 Honda CR-V was my favorite car! I originally bought it because it was easy to get in and out of for me and my infant with his car seat. It is an SUV with a small car feel. The cargo space is adequate. I was able to pack a bicycle, stroller, and a treadmill in the back. The 5th door opens "barn door style" and that was handy with groceries. To me, the look of it is one of the best years of the CR- V.

The car-feel, the height, the comfortability. It has a lot of room and is dependable with low maintenance. The gas mileage is good and it just feels like a solid car!

The door locks became touchy and the tumblers in the driver's side lock broke altogether, it is kind of annoying and expensive to repair. The tailgate switch broke and was expensive to repair. I flipped this car over on its top, so something could be done with the high center of gravity.

3rd and last Honda
By disappointed

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Aug 08. Problems began after 75,000. Airbag light on for most of the time. Air conditioning died at 90,000 miles. Transmission dead at 105K and the gas tank neck needed to be replaced. After 165K the alternator died, leaving me on the side of a busy highway. All told, I have spent over $6,000 in repairs on top of regular maintenance. I would say the CRV is a piece of junk, but every one I know who has one, loves it and has had no problems at all. I got a lemon. But the highway incident was the last straw. Last night i bought a Volvo.

Gas mileage

Better quality of air conditioner, alternator, and catalytic converter construction.

Lack of Oxygen
By Nickel99

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car new and currently have 53,250 miles. I have enjoyed the car and it has performed up to Honda quality and reliability standards except for this recent experience. Both of the oxygen sensors failed at the same time and had to be replaced at 53,000 miles.

Great cargo and storage for a small SUV. Performs well in snow and adverse driving conditions. Very practical and functional small SUV.

Improve the quality of interior.