Used 2002 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

2002 Honda CR-V
By Donald

2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Honda CR-V I've owned and I bought both of them used. My wife totaled our other one which was a 1999 model while trying to avoid hitting a deer, I wish she had just totaled the deer, it would have done less damage but, instead she veered off the road and hit a huge rock in a ditch and it cracked the transmission and obliterated the front end suspension. We have never had any problems out of either or our CR-V's other than that. I have plenty of power for a 4 cylinder, it'll do turnpike and interstate speeds all day long with no problem, and I can pull a small boat with it. The gas mileage is decent 24-26 highway and 19-21 around town.

Wonderful to drive, I have back problems and the driving position of the CR-V causes me no discomfort on long trips, I commute 34 miles one way to work 5 days a week. All controls are within easy reach.

The interior is a bit noisy on rough pavement, I wish they would install some type of road noise insulation on the newer models.

I Loved My Little CR-V!
By Kaylee

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 CR-V EX 2WD used, in 2007 & I absolutely LOVED it. It ran beautifully, never once had to undergo repairs, got wonderful gas mileage & was just an overall reliable vehicle--the perfect first car! They are cute little SUVs, typically owned by more females. The interior features are eye-catching & unique & for a smaller SUV, they have impressive storage capacity & spacey passenger room. Mine ran beautifully up to the day I was involved in a head-on collision, and even then I found good news--it's a pretty sturdy little car! I am now searching for another '02 CR-V; I won't drive any other vehicle!

The unique set up: dash, emergency break, gear shifter, storage compartments, fold down center table, adjustable/fold down back seats, table in trunk over second spare tire storage, swinging rear door...AND RELIABILITY!

-SRS system needs improvement -seats get uncomfortable during long trips

Reliable
By Jat

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our CRV new. Have had it now for almost 7 years, it has 117,000 miles on it and still going. It had one major repair (Carburator) last year. Other than that, no major repairs. A good record in my opinion. It has started all winter except when it was more than -20. But my spouses new car didn't start either. Right now the engine light is on and we can't really resolve that matter. Given the age and mileage on it, it is to be expected I guess. My one negative thing is the paint finish. Ours is gold and has chipped in places since early on. We were told it was not a defect. Don't believe that. Very reliable. Have always gotten to where I needed to go.

Sunroof, trunk area

Paint finish. However reliability of it far outweighs a few paint chips.

Great SUV good gas and comfy
By music2me2

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Honda CR-V I have had. It is a great vehicle dependable and a miser on gas. I have gone from Arizona to San Diego in just about a tank of gas. Mine came with 6-disc changer moonroof and all wheel drive. I have taken mine skiing and the 4wheel drive was a nice feature. I didn't get stuck and I was impressed.

Reliability, gas mileage and comforts on long trips.

rear ac would be nice!

Best car I've ever owned!
By Tricia

2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2002 Honda CR-V was my favorite car! I originally bought it because it was easy to get in and out of for me and my infant with his car seat. It is an SUV with a small car feel. The cargo space is adequate. I was able to pack a bicycle, stroller, and a treadmill in the back. The 5th door opens "barn door style" and that was handy with groceries. To me, the look of it is one of the best years of the CR- V.

The car-feel, the height, the comfortability. It has a lot of room and is dependable with low maintenance. The gas mileage is good and it just feels like a solid car!

The door locks became touchy and the tumblers in the driver's side lock broke altogether, it is kind of annoying and expensive to repair. The tailgate switch broke and was expensive to repair. I flipped this car over on its top, so something could be done with the high center of gravity.