Used 2002 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

The Higa's CRV
By patso

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great price for the quality of vehicle.

Lots of interior space.

A bit more power and bigger-better tires and wheels.

Nicky's Review
By Nicky

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My last 3 vehicles were Toyotas and I said I would never get anything else, but after test driving the CR-V and comparing it to the RAV4 I changed my mind. The CR-V is more comfortable, has a smoother ride, and the price was better and included more standard options. Not so good is the noise coming from my brakes. It only happens after the car has been sitting for a while and I push on the brakes for the first time. The dealership said a "clicking or groaning" noise is normal, but I consider it a loud "clunking" noise.

6 changer CD player, no center console so you don't feel "boxed in", and the high-mounted tail lights. Oh, I also like the fact that the back seats fold up with ease, and the back window lifts open....my dogs like that too!

I would like to see bigger tires on the car, automatic door lock/unlock feature when the car is started and turned off (my RAV had that feature and I really miss it), as well as a door lock/unlock button on the front passenger door.

Outstanding CRV
By Barb Barker

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is flawless so far. Rides very good, has better performance than my 2001 model. This is the third new Honda purchased from Hugh White Honda of Columbus in three years.

Excellent preformance, good gas milage and seems to be much safer than other cars in the family. The rearrangement of controls makes good sense, i.e.: power windows, etc.

Revert to the column shift.

2002 Honda CRV-EX
By hondacrv

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for eleven months and have experienced only one problem, the tires. The stock tires are cheap junk. Other than that this is an excellent vehicle for hauling passengers in roomy comfort. The CRV handles well (better tires would help), is comfortable, and the 2.4 liter engine is torquey and accelerates with the best. The transmission can be hard to get into gear when downshifting from second to first or when upshifting the same two gears. The transmission needs some improvement to make shifting smoother.

The engine is flawless. It accelerates well and consumes little gas, even when pushed hard.

The tires and manual transmission need improvement. Better all season tires, perhaps even performance all season tires would benefit this vehicle. Also, the manual transmission needs some refinement, even though the dealership can't find any problem with the shifting.

Minor complaints
By Go Daddy

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have 7,500 miles on mine. Dependable E solid. Quite a bit of wind noise around the A pillar. We barely average 22 mpg in mixed city & highway driving. Storage, the table, & the CD player are great. However, no need for a picnic table - rather have the spare tire there. The 'check engine' light came on after 5,000 miles. At first the dealer was reluctant to look at it and claimed that the problem was due to not tightening the gas cap. I finally took it to the dealer and they adjusted the engine's computer program. No problems since. I also test drove a Ford Escape. Not near as solid, but more cargo space. Quality led me to the CRV.

Build quality and 6-disc CD.

Drop the picnic table and put the spare tire there instead. Make the back seats removable to allow for more cargo space. The middle head rest in the back seat prevents good vision out the back window. We've removed it, and it is laying on the floor. It is completely unnecessary.