2002 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
A/C Did Me In
By givingup on 08/23/09 14:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The a/c, as others have reported, is the worst part of owning this vehicle. First time it broke was long out of warranty and Honda didn't give a flip this was a common complaint. Second time, still under 1yr warranty from previous work. It took the mechanic three compressors before finding one that worked without failing instantly. Third time, I just gave up and am now looking for a new car. It was my second Honda. My first was a Civic which held up well in a very bad front end collision (I walked away uninjured from a car with no front end left) which led me to stay with Honda. The a/c experience and nearly constant check engine light are why I will leave.

More problems than you would think
By rj on 08/07/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car did well right up to the end of the rather weak warranty. After 90K some really annoying repairs... chief of which was the endemic defects involving the AC Compressor. O2 Sensors went before that and before that the blower motor. Having heat last winter and AC this summer has been a real challenge. Honda was no help with repairs which is disturbing since the AC Compressor is an obvious problem throughout the country.

Honda 2002 CR-V
By bolinlamar on 07/23/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned, I only buy used cars now not new ones. I thought this was a good buy at a good price because of my experience with the other Honda's I've owned, boy was I mistaken. The Air Conditioning Compressor blew up only 2 weeks after I bought it, the Sales Manager refused to help pay for any of the repair or parts for the AC System. He said that he had sold me the car at a price that was so low that the dealership didn't really make any profit so he couldn't help with any of the repair. I had to pay $1974.97 to the Honda Dealership to replace the entire AC System since the compressor blew bits of metal were all in the system. Very disapointed.

2002 Honda Reliable??
By bolinlamar on 07/16/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned and I must say the worst one, I've purchased 2 used Honda's in the past and they've been fine and I still have a 2003 Honda Odyssey van 138,000 miles on it, doing fine. But this 2002 CR-V is the pits, not because of its driveability but because the compressor in the air conditioning system blew up after the second week of ownership, it's presently being repaired at a cost of $1974.00. Honda America is paying $500.00 I guess as a matter of goodwill because they know this has been a defect with these models. I won't buy a used Honda again, one sting is enough for me.

Don't Buy This Honda!
By Tiffany on 07/12/09 22:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a '02 CR-V with 20,000 miles on it. My AC broke at 65,000 miles. I paid $150 to have it fixed. Broke again 2 months later. Honda quoted me $1000+ to fix it. I'm STILL making payments and cannot afford to replace it. Not fun in 100 CA weather. I've always sworn by Hondas. Even my Honda mechanic said "I don't know why you have so much trouble with this car you take such good care of it." It has electrical problems, the stereo had already been replaced when I bought it. Cruise control works when it feels like it. The rear door latch mysteriously stopped working. The cup holder is broken. Interior door panel by the window fell off. I baby this car! COME ON HONDA. REALLY???

2002 Honda CR-V
By Donald on 07/02/09 17:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Honda CR-V I've owned and I bought both of them used. My wife totaled our other one which was a 1999 model while trying to avoid hitting a deer, I wish she had just totaled the deer, it would have done less damage but, instead she veered off the road and hit a huge rock in a ditch and it cracked the transmission and obliterated the front end suspension. We have never had any problems out of either or our CR-V's other than that. I have plenty of power for a 4 cylinder, it'll do turnpike and interstate speeds all day long with no problem, and I can pull a small boat with it. The gas mileage is decent 24-26 highway and 19-21 around town.

I Loved My Little CR-V!
By Kaylee on 05/20/09 16:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 CR-V EX 2WD used, in 2007 & I absolutely LOVED it. It ran beautifully, never once had to undergo repairs, got wonderful gas mileage & was just an overall reliable vehicle--the perfect first car! They are cute little SUVs, typically owned by more females. The interior features are eye-catching & unique & for a smaller SUV, they have impressive storage capacity & spacey passenger room. Mine ran beautifully up to the day I was involved in a head-on collision, and even then I found good news--it's a pretty sturdy little car! I am now searching for another '02 CR-V; I won't drive any other vehicle!

Reliable
By Jat on 03/21/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our CRV new. Have had it now for almost 7 years, it has 117,000 miles on it and still going. It had one major repair (Carburator) last year. Other than that, no major repairs. A good record in my opinion. It has started all winter except when it was more than -20. But my spouses new car didn't start either. Right now the engine light is on and we can't really resolve that matter. Given the age and mileage on it, it is to be expected I guess. My one negative thing is the paint finish. Ours is gold and has chipped in places since early on. We were told it was not a defect. Don't believe that. Very reliable. Have always gotten to where I needed to go.

Great SUV good gas and comfy
By music2me2 on 01/26/09 10:36 AM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Honda CR-V I have had. It is a great vehicle dependable and a miser on gas. I have gone from Arizona to San Diego in just about a tank of gas. Mine came with 6-disc changer moonroof and all wheel drive. I have taken mine skiing and the 4wheel drive was a nice feature. I didn't get stuck and I was impressed.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Tricia on 12/17/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2002 Honda CR-V was my favorite car! I originally bought it because it was easy to get in and out of for me and my infant with his car seat. It is an SUV with a small car feel. The cargo space is adequate. I was able to pack a bicycle, stroller, and a treadmill in the back. The 5th door opens "barn door style" and that was handy with groceries. To me, the look of it is one of the best years of the CR- V.