2002 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Worked for me for 8 years
By AJA on 07/27/10 11:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for 8 years and recently decided to upgrade to a Pilot. Over the course of that time, I only had some minor issues with recalls. Other than that, I changed the oil regularly and kept the tires inflated. Cabin noise was awful, though, especially when it rained. The car was under- powered, which was a shame. Gas mileage was good, which was appreciated when gas prices went through the roof.

Great mpg, excellent handling, reliable
By clg22 on 06/24/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 in 2005 with 40K on it and we have been very pleased. Seating is very comfortable on long trips and cargo space and versatility is excellent. Gas mileage of a car, but high like an SUV - great compromise. Nice pep when needed. Great in the snow (the Rav4 was awful). No major repairs at all yet! We have had the break pads replaced, the tires replaced, and all the other regular maintenance. No problems with AC as others have mentioned. We've been very pleased with this car and would buy again.

Keeps on Truckin'
By HondaForever on 06/13/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my CR-V new and it has been outstanding. It just received 210,000 mile maintenance. Two minor repairs and scheduled maintenance only. It still looks and drives great. I would not hesitate to take off anywhere in it. Averages 26 MPG. My only issue is my neighbor wants to buy it and I feel bad because I'm not giving this one up!

Satisfy with CRV
By Thrifty Buyer on 04/11/10 00:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought this car with 62,000 mi. Of course, the dealer offered an extended warranty which I refused. It's a Honda right? So,forget it. About six months later engine light was on, and the mechanic said it was the throttle body. Really? Never replaced one of these. I took the car to the dealer to confirm but, Honda corp ageed to replace the part. Honda paid for the part ($800), and I paid for labor. The AC compressor went out at 90,000 mi. My mechanic told me there is a problem with the compressor on these cars (depending on where the part came from) Again, Honda split the cost. Overall, I love my car. I have over 102,000, and have only replaced the brake pads. Love Honda.

Multiple Replacements of Rear Brakes
By UpstateJohn on 02/07/10 12:02 PM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wifes CRV...a great car with only one outstanding exception. Multiple complete Replacements of the rear brake systems, complete calipers and rotors. Due to complete lockups of the rear brakes, the first replacement of calipers and rotors was performed under warranty at about 16,000 miles. Honda covered it. Second replacement was and about 37,000 miles, Honda covered that even though past 36,000 miles. Dealer said a bad batch of calipers were used in the first replacement session. (OK, then why the 2nd freeze up?) Then a THIRD replacement was necessary of the calipers and rotors at about 58,000 due to another freezeup and warping the rotors, At our cost. Disappointing. Great Car though

Satisfied 8 Year Ownership
By Argentum on 01/17/10 09:24 AM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd and final review for this outstanding vehicle which I bought new and will be trading in soon with over 120000 miles. If you are reading this review, you are likely looking to buy a used CRV. I can honestly say that it still has a new car look and feel. The only repairs for malfunctions ever done were for A\C and brakes. All else was for preventative maintenance. I think buying a used CRV is a roll of the dice, but if you get one that has been properly maintained, you will not be sorry.

Great Car with low Maintenance Costs
By Syed Asif on 11/23/09 14:20 PM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it brand new and now have 104K miles. No trouble other than a AC switch ( $450 ). Low cost SUV and a pretty safe one at that. Love it.

HONDA - a love/hate relationship
By cvilla on 10/16/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 other hondas prior to this one and I am sad to say it is the black sheep of the bunch. As my family grew so did our need to move into a larger car than my 1996 civic. My old civics have been as reliable as nothing else I've owned. The CRV seemed like a sure bet. My first year was trouble free as expected from a Honda. On our second summer the ac blew out! I thought I just had one of those RARE little problems and would probably never happen again. Just this Sept. my AC started to make those same sounds again before it blew up! My other civics 220000+ miles and no problems yet! I should have bought another civic! Honda made the best and worst cars I've owned. I love/hate Hondas.

Gotta Love It
By Musicman on 09/19/09 22:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When looking for my second car, I knew I needed something with a lot of cargo space and good fuel economy. Of course I also wanted something stylish and fun to drive. I found that in my CR-V! It's got enough room to haul my band's equipment to shows when I've got the rear seats folded up. The iV-TEC engine has enough power to satisfy throttling down the interstate. And it has plenty of room to carry my friends from place to place! So far the only issue I've had is the glove compartment light stays on all the time; the switch isn't catching.

HOT under the collar without A/C
By yogamom86 on 08/28/09 18:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car was fine until the warranty ended. After that it was one repair and the other. The final straw is the estimated $2500 to replace the entire AC System since the compressor blew pieces of metal all in the system. This is clearly a manufacturer defect. The dealer said that Honda will not pay because of the age of the car.