Used 2002 Honda CR-V LX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Very Sad I just totalled my CR-V, I loved this car!
By kmarino

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car it has been so reliable for the past 10 years. I had 197,000 miles on it and could have easily put on another 197,000 miles. Not one problem with it mechanically the engine had all original parts. Never had any of the recall issues either. My CR-V has gotten me home safely in some of the most extreme conditions driving from LA to Mammoth Lakes at least twice a month for the past 6 years. Until the night a deer took it out. I would recommend this car to anyone. Would love to buy a newer CR-V, but was laid off from work due to economy will have to try a KIA. Thats why I'm on here. Thanks to all who write reviews almost bought an SUV from US makers reviews scared me.

Car handle extremely well, I always felt it was solid and safe, and loved that it was a fast little car for a 4 banger. Handled great in the snow even though it was only 2wd. Gas mileage was great. Lots of interior room for passengers as well as cargo space. First car I've owned that I loved it until the day it died.

I do agree that it needs to be better sound proof, and seats could definitely be more comfortable. Needs more lumbar support and cushion. Seats are too firm and stiff. I would like to see Honda add a bit more bells and whistles that other cars have as standard items rather than everything cool having to be extras if offered at all.

HONDA - a love/hate relationship
By cvilla

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 other hondas prior to this one and I am sad to say it is the black sheep of the bunch. As my family grew so did our need to move into a larger car than my 1996 civic. My old civics have been as reliable as nothing else I've owned. The CRV seemed like a sure bet. My first year was trouble free as expected from a Honda. On our second summer the ac blew out! I thought I just had one of those RARE little problems and would probably never happen again. Just this Sept. my AC started to make those same sounds again before it blew up! My other civics 220000+ miles and no problems yet! I should have bought another civic! Honda made the best and worst cars I've owned. I love/hate Hondas.

The CRV does have some nice features my civics don't. Rear cargo space is great when we go camping. We also love the built in table that can come out from the back floor area. I like how the Parking break blends into the interior of the dash.

Honda would be better if they redesigned the entire AC unit! This car could very well damage their GOOD name. I was also expecting better gas mileage out of my CRV. I only get about 19mpg city & 23hwy. Oh, and why do my plastic headlights turn an ugly yellow after only just a few years?

Gotta Love It
By Musicman

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When looking for my second car, I knew I needed something with a lot of cargo space and good fuel economy. Of course I also wanted something stylish and fun to drive. I found that in my CR-V! It's got enough room to haul my band's equipment to shows when I've got the rear seats folded up. The iV-TEC engine has enough power to satisfy throttling down the interstate. And it has plenty of room to carry my friends from place to place! So far the only issue I've had is the glove compartment light stays on all the time; the switch isn't catching.

Cargo room, styling, iV-TEC engine

The sound system is only alright. An auxiliary input would've been nice. The rear headrests get in the way of visibility, but they fixed that in 04 I think by adding holes.

More problems than you would think
By rj

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car did well right up to the end of the rather weak warranty. After 90K some really annoying repairs... chief of which was the endemic defects involving the AC Compressor. O2 Sensors went before that and before that the blower motor. Having heat last winter and AC this summer has been a real challenge. Honda was no help with repairs which is disturbing since the AC Compressor is an obvious problem throughout the country.

Honda 2002 CR-V
By bolinlamar

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned, I only buy used cars now not new ones. I thought this was a good buy at a good price because of my experience with the other Honda's I've owned, boy was I mistaken. The Air Conditioning Compressor blew up only 2 weeks after I bought it, the Sales Manager refused to help pay for any of the repair or parts for the AC System. He said that he had sold me the car at a price that was so low that the dealership didn't really make any profit so he couldn't help with any of the repair. I had to pay $1974.97 to the Honda Dealership to replace the entire AC System since the compressor blew bits of metal were all in the system. Very disapointed.

Fun to drive, comfortable seats, good audio system and CD player. I get 25 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg around town with the air off and 23- 19 mpg with the AC on.

Improve the AC System so it is as reliable as the rest of the vehicle. Honda should be forced to re-call these vehicles and repair the AC at no charge.