2002 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Very Sad I just totalled my CR-V, I loved this car!
By kmarino on 10/30/12 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car it has been so reliable for the past 10 years. I had 197,000 miles on it and could have easily put on another 197,000 miles. Not one problem with it mechanically the engine had all original parts. Never had any of the recall issues either. My CR-V has gotten me home safely in some of the most extreme conditions driving from LA to Mammoth Lakes at least twice a month for the past 6 years. Until the night a deer took it out. I would recommend this car to anyone. Would love to buy a newer CR-V, but was laid off from work due to economy will have to try a KIA. Thats why I'm on here. Thanks to all who write reviews almost bought an SUV from US makers reviews scared me.

HONDA - a love/hate relationship
By cvilla on 10/16/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 other hondas prior to this one and I am sad to say it is the black sheep of the bunch. As my family grew so did our need to move into a larger car than my 1996 civic. My old civics have been as reliable as nothing else I've owned. The CRV seemed like a sure bet. My first year was trouble free as expected from a Honda. On our second summer the ac blew out! I thought I just had one of those RARE little problems and would probably never happen again. Just this Sept. my AC started to make those same sounds again before it blew up! My other civics 220000+ miles and no problems yet! I should have bought another civic! Honda made the best and worst cars I've owned. I love/hate Hondas.

Gotta Love It
By Musicman on 09/19/09 22:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When looking for my second car, I knew I needed something with a lot of cargo space and good fuel economy. Of course I also wanted something stylish and fun to drive. I found that in my CR-V! It's got enough room to haul my band's equipment to shows when I've got the rear seats folded up. The iV-TEC engine has enough power to satisfy throttling down the interstate. And it has plenty of room to carry my friends from place to place! So far the only issue I've had is the glove compartment light stays on all the time; the switch isn't catching.

More problems than you would think
By rj on 08/07/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car did well right up to the end of the rather weak warranty. After 90K some really annoying repairs... chief of which was the endemic defects involving the AC Compressor. O2 Sensors went before that and before that the blower motor. Having heat last winter and AC this summer has been a real challenge. Honda was no help with repairs which is disturbing since the AC Compressor is an obvious problem throughout the country.

Honda 2002 CR-V
By bolinlamar on 07/23/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned, I only buy used cars now not new ones. I thought this was a good buy at a good price because of my experience with the other Honda's I've owned, boy was I mistaken. The Air Conditioning Compressor blew up only 2 weeks after I bought it, the Sales Manager refused to help pay for any of the repair or parts for the AC System. He said that he had sold me the car at a price that was so low that the dealership didn't really make any profit so he couldn't help with any of the repair. I had to pay $1974.97 to the Honda Dealership to replace the entire AC System since the compressor blew bits of metal were all in the system. Very disapointed.

2002 Honda Reliable??
By bolinlamar on 07/16/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned and I must say the worst one, I've purchased 2 used Honda's in the past and they've been fine and I still have a 2003 Honda Odyssey van 138,000 miles on it, doing fine. But this 2002 CR-V is the pits, not because of its driveability but because the compressor in the air conditioning system blew up after the second week of ownership, it's presently being repaired at a cost of $1974.00. Honda America is paying $500.00 I guess as a matter of goodwill because they know this has been a defect with these models. I won't buy a used Honda again, one sting is enough for me.

Don't Buy This Honda!
By Tiffany on 07/12/09 22:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a '02 CR-V with 20,000 miles on it. My AC broke at 65,000 miles. I paid $150 to have it fixed. Broke again 2 months later. Honda quoted me $1000+ to fix it. I'm STILL making payments and cannot afford to replace it. Not fun in 100 CA weather. I've always sworn by Hondas. Even my Honda mechanic said "I don't know why you have so much trouble with this car you take such good care of it." It has electrical problems, the stereo had already been replaced when I bought it. Cruise control works when it feels like it. The rear door latch mysteriously stopped working. The cup holder is broken. Interior door panel by the window fell off. I baby this car! COME ON HONDA. REALLY???

I Loved My Little CR-V!
By Kaylee on 05/20/09 16:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 CR-V EX 2WD used, in 2007 & I absolutely LOVED it. It ran beautifully, never once had to undergo repairs, got wonderful gas mileage & was just an overall reliable vehicle--the perfect first car! They are cute little SUVs, typically owned by more females. The interior features are eye-catching & unique & for a smaller SUV, they have impressive storage capacity & spacey passenger room. Mine ran beautifully up to the day I was involved in a head-on collision, and even then I found good news--it's a pretty sturdy little car! I am now searching for another '02 CR-V; I won't drive any other vehicle!

Love mine
By Karl on 09/18/08 09:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 CR-V. Anyone who wishes a quiet and more comfortable ride try the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread Tires. These tires are quiet. And they are not called comfort tread for nothing. My wife and I both notice a difference in the ride and handling.

02 CR-V - BAD CHOICE!
By NoCRV_4_Me on 09/05/08 08:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Pros: Door height - I don't bump my head getting in/out. Good little engine - strong, reliable Comfortable for around town driving Cons: 1. Air conditioning has gone out twice in last year. Bad compressor and dealer didn't offer me any deal, only a $3500 estimate. 1st time seals blew out, 2nd time bearings failed. 2. Black paint has white undercoat so every little scratch shows and it scratches VERY easily, despite frequent waxing. 3. Back seat legroom limited; OK for kids, tight for adults. 4. Has irritating rattle since new, especially when turning right. Dealer couldn't find cause under warranty. 5. If quality is so good, why does Honda have the worst warranty in the business?