Used 2002 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Most Helpful|
FANTASTIC VEHICLE!!
By tlccar1

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying is any vehicle perfect? No. But this CR-V comes close. It is very roomy, fun to drive, gets decent mileage (22 mpg all the time) for an SUV and is as reliable as can be. It is great in the snow and gives a firm but comfortable ride. We replaced an Accord wagon that was loved but this CR-V has surpassed our expectations. If you want reliable transportation wrapped in good looks and comfort, the CR-V is the way to go.

Favorite Features

Loaded with storage areas, excellent climate control system, roomy and comfortable for a small SUV. As stated earlier, it gets 22 mpg all the time regardless of highway or city driving. I think that is respectable for a 3500 pound AWD vehicle. Acceleration is great and it has been bulletproof with over 100k on it now. It handles great for an SUV too. Great visibility and predictable handling. Tons of cargo room - and the table is awesome for picnics!

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastic scratches far too easily. Also I am not thrilled with the fact that Honda suggests 26 psi for tire pressure. It is a little too soft and if you increase it even by a few pounds the ride quality suffers greatly. I believe they have changed this on the newer CR-V's. Aside from these minor gripes, there really is nothing else we can complain about.

11 years later
By preble

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2002. After 11 years, we have had so few problems. I live in constant fear of the A/C compressor exploding, but that is about it. Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle for our Golden Retrievers.Recently looked at the new Crv's, and they seem much less spacious. Won't ever trade this in. Ever

Favorite Features

Seats fold flat and lots of space

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be more comfortable for longer drives

Very Sad I just totalled my CR-V, I loved this car!
By kmarino

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car it has been so reliable for the past 10 years. I had 197,000 miles on it and could have easily put on another 197,000 miles. Not one problem with it mechanically the engine had all original parts. Never had any of the recall issues either. My CR-V has gotten me home safely in some of the most extreme conditions driving from LA to Mammoth Lakes at least twice a month for the past 6 years. Until the night a deer took it out. I would recommend this car to anyone. Would love to buy a newer CR-V, but was laid off from work due to economy will have to try a KIA. Thats why I'm on here. Thanks to all who write reviews almost bought an SUV from US makers reviews scared me.

Favorite Features

Car handle extremely well, I always felt it was solid and safe, and loved that it was a fast little car for a 4 banger. Handled great in the snow even though it was only 2wd. Gas mileage was great. Lots of interior room for passengers as well as cargo space. First car I've owned that I loved it until the day it died.

Suggested Improvements

I do agree that it needs to be better sound proof, and seats could definitely be more comfortable. Needs more lumbar support and cushion. Seats are too firm and stiff. I would like to see Honda add a bit more bells and whistles that other cars have as standard items rather than everything cool having to be extras if offered at all.

Not so reliable
By colibri1

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this Honda (first and last one) used with 88,000 km and a little warranty left. Noticed that it consumed about 1 liter of oil every 3000 km. Took it to the dealer - he said it is normal for Hondas (????) At 112,000 km had to replace engine. Luckily air conditioning is working fine. Not happy. Not the greatest gas mileage either. Very noisy on the highway - can not hear radio clearly. Will never buy Honda again.

Favorite Features

Roomy and thoughtful interior with nice touches like folding middle table between front seats, extra non-sleep shelves in the front.

Great car
By ozolinsh

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this 2002 Honda CRV only since '08 but it is now at 181,000 KM and it is still a smooth ride. In interior comfort is very good and being a tall person I fit in it just fine. The cargo space is great and with the rear seats folded over I can transport a surprising amount of stuff (moves done with this). The engine is strong and it accelerates nicely even with 4 people in the CRV. The downside is the gas mileage, not as good as an Accord of similar vintage and engine size but the AWD does have a rear-differential so you must expect that feature will affect mileage in any truck.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, nice ride height, great visibility, amazing amount of cargo space! Also, the AWD - best thing ever on snowy roads in the winter!

Suggested Improvements

My only beef is the seat belts that eventually don't retract well and struts that barely last 10yrs! When I called Honda about the belts they said they are good for the life of the car, and they said the life of a car is 7 yrs. Strange, at 10yrs old it is beautiful and runs great, I would not say it's ready for a scrapyard.