Used 2002 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

02 CRV still going strong
By Steve Walker

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got it brand new in 2002. First new car I ever bought. I've had it now for 14 years. Here are the repairs I have done:

1) A/C system was completely replaced under warranty after 2 years.
2) Throttle body was replaced under warranty in year 4.
3) Passenger side door actuator (lock mechanism) failed. Replaced all 4.
4) Struts replaced at 70,000 miles
5) A/C compressor replaced in 2015

Other than that it has just been batteries, tires and brake pads. The A/C systems in these vehicles can be problematic. The door actuators were a cheap design and tend to fail but are relatively cheap to replace.

The engine, transmission, electrical system, AWD system, and audio are absolutely bullet proof in my experience. The paint finish still looks like new. The seats could be more comfortable but the material has held up well.

When it is just me in the CRV the engine has a fair amount of pep. When you load it up with people and stuff - not so much. But it does get a consistent 25 MPG in mixed driving so I'm not complaining. Very easy to park and great visibility all around. The stereo system is reliable but the sound is pretty crummy by modern standards. It is extremely versitile. It serves just as well as a daily commuter as it does a grocery hauler.

Currently I've got about 125,000 miles on it and it runs like a swiss watch. The only real complaint has been the A/C system. Other than that, it's been a very reliable and economical vehicle. I should be able to get 250,000 miles out of it if I continue to take care of it. Highly recommended.

Great little SUV
By Papa bear

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Honda did a great job with the exterior and interior of this SUV. I get 25 mpg which was not bad in 2002.

Best car ever
By teresa

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This has been the best car ever. I bought mine new many years ago, and have always loved this car. It has needed extraordinarily little maintenance over all these years, and still runs beautifully - I am even on the original clutch. Great Car!!!!!

14 years later
By preble

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2002. So after 14 years, it is without a doubt the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. Normal things have worn. I'm afraid I will jinx myself if I list all the original equipment that hasn't needed replacement. We bought this for a something to haul around our Golden Retrievers, transport us in bad weather and pile a lot of stuff in. It has been GREAT!

Very Sad I just totalled my CR-V, I loved this car!
By kmarino

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car it has been so reliable for the past 10 years.
I had 197,000 miles on it and could have easily put on another 197,000 miles.
Not one problem with it mechanically the engine had all original parts.
Never had any of the recall issues either.

My CR-V has gotten me home safely in some of the most extreme conditions driving from LA to Mammoth Lakes at least twice a month for the past 6 years.
Until the night a deer took it out.
I would recommend this car to anyone.
Would love to buy a newer CR-V, but was laid off from work due to economy will have to try a KIA.
Thats why I'm on here.
Thanks to all who write reviews almost bought an SUV from US makers reviews scared me.

Car handle extremely well, I always felt it was solid and safe, and loved that it was a fast little car for a 4 banger. Handled great in the snow even though it was only 2wd. Gas mileage was great. Lots of interior room for passengers as well as cargo space. First car I've owned that I loved it until the day it died.

I do agree that it needs to be better sound proof, and seats could definitely be more comfortable. Needs more lumbar support and cushion. Seats are too firm and stiff. I would like to see Honda add a bit more bells and whistles that other cars have as standard items rather than everything cool having to be extras if offered at all.