2002 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
11 years later
By preble on 07/05/13 13:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2002. After 11 years, we have had so few problems. I live in constant fear of the A/C compressor exploding, but that is about it. Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle for our Golden Retrievers.Recently looked at the new Crv's, and they seem much less spacious. Won't ever trade this in. Ever

Very Sad I just totalled my CR-V, I loved this car!
By kmarino on 10/30/12 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car it has been so reliable for the past 10 years. I had 197,000 miles on it and could have easily put on another 197,000 miles. Not one problem with it mechanically the engine had all original parts. Never had any of the recall issues either. My CR-V has gotten me home safely in some of the most extreme conditions driving from LA to Mammoth Lakes at least twice a month for the past 6 years. Until the night a deer took it out. I would recommend this car to anyone. Would love to buy a newer CR-V, but was laid off from work due to economy will have to try a KIA. Thats why I'm on here. Thanks to all who write reviews almost bought an SUV from US makers reviews scared me.

FANTASTIC VEHICLE!!
By tlccar1 on 05/19/12 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying is any vehicle perfect? No. But this CR-V comes close. It is very roomy, fun to drive, gets decent mileage (22 mpg all the time) for an SUV and is as reliable as can be. It is great in the snow and gives a firm but comfortable ride. We replaced an Accord wagon that was loved but this CR-V has surpassed our expectations. If you want reliable transportation wrapped in good looks and comfort, the CR-V is the way to go.

Great car
By ozolinsh on 05/17/12 10:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this 2002 Honda CRV only since '08 but it is now at 181,000 KM and it is still a smooth ride. In interior comfort is very good and being a tall person I fit in it just fine. The cargo space is great and with the rear seats folded over I can transport a surprising amount of stuff (moves done with this). The engine is strong and it accelerates nicely even with 4 people in the CRV. The downside is the gas mileage, not as good as an Accord of similar vintage and engine size but the AWD does have a rear-differential so you must expect that feature will affect mileage in any truck.

Not so reliable
By colibri1 on 08/08/11 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this Honda (first and last one) used with 88,000 km and a little warranty left. Noticed that it consumed about 1 liter of oil every 3000 km. Took it to the dealer - he said it is normal for Hondas (????) At 112,000 km had to replace engine. Luckily air conditioning is working fine. Not happy. Not the greatest gas mileage either. Very noisy on the highway - can not hear radio clearly. Will never buy Honda again.

It's Been a Great Ride!
By bluebugmama on 07/19/11 07:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and have 138K on it now. Has been a great car, very few problems. Driver's door window motor broke, and both rear brake calipers froze up around 75K, but other than that no problems. Great in the snow, comfortable, definitely not a luxury vehicle but love all the room and versatility. It handles like a little go cart...not tippy like some SUV's.

My last Honda
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This review is not to bash the Honda, but let people be aware of potential problems with this vehicle. At about 70k km. the power steering pump had to be replaced, no a big deal since it was under warranty. At around 80k km. both rear wheel bearings had to be replaced – under warranty. Once the vehicle was off warranty the following items had to be replaced – all wheel bearings, the whole struts assembly (over $1200), ABS sensor, catalytic converter (over $1000), recently my u-joints “went” but they cannot be replace – the whole drive-shaft has to be replaced (over $1000). Currently some bushings should be replaced but I am putting this off, and seat belt sensor is not working ($300).

Not sure i should have bought it
By jess on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well I traded in a Toyota 4runner 1994 for this since I bought it I had to have the a o2sensor and a catalytic converter and a 3rd gear throttle sensor and has a small oil leak road noise why why I have not even had it a year the interior scratches easy I had my Toyota with 108,000 and did not do anything for 3 years on it never a Honda again

Super reliable fun CR-V
By mimic on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CR-V, drive more than average, never have had any major problems just regular expected maintenance. Honda's are just built like rocks, this is my third and not my last!

MiniTank
By FW on 08/26/10 20:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This CR-V is an all wheel drive model, with manual 5speed The winning attributes are: All wheel Drive (I live in MN) Mileage is 20 city 25 hwy. build quality is great. ride and handling are great. load capacity in interior square footage is great. although she sags pretty easily with a weighty load. Engine runs super. breaking is great. the negatives are: drivers legroom is cramped. rear hatch door opens to the side (poopy in the rain). if you are someone who appreciates practicality and reliability vs fluff, you will like this car. (lookout for the legroom issue)