2001 Honda CR-V Consumer Review: Honda engine issue

2001 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Review

Honda engine issue
By Gloria on

2001 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

56,000 miles check engine light came on. Found codes P0301,302, and p1399. Search revealed Honda sb 03-038. Probable cause 1 or more cylinders have receded into the cylinder head. Corrective action-inspect the valve clearance, if necessary replace cylinder head. Car brought to fox Honda in auburn, NY they were unwilling to remove the cylinder head. Wanted to replace ignition coil and do tune up for $500.00+. Advised me I could continue driving until car wouldn't start without harming engine. At home removed cylinder head and found 2 valves out of adjustment. This is a documented problem w/these engines. Honda response - the dealer I went to made a mistake for $100 more I could have tried another...

Originally purchased a Honda due to their good reputation...that was my favorite feature. After our experiences with this Honda I would not own another.

Since this incident I've repeatedly heard Honda owners main complaint is the service they receive at Honda dealerships. Honda really should look into educating their employees and owning up to their mistakes. No responsibility was taken by Honda for the misdiagnosis or the problem with this engine.