Great vehicle, but ONE bad experience
By Brian on
2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
Had 2 Hondas in my lifetime. A CR-V wasn't what I wanted, but I decided to try it, vs. a car. Overall a great time. Short/long trips, hauled people and animals, towed trailers, packed it full, traveled in heat and snow (Great!). Overall reliable vehicle. I've also enjoyed working on it (weekend mechanic) using Honda and Chilton manuals, saved some money. HOWEVER, I'm one of many victims of burned valves (Gen1 engines). Owners were NOT notified of this issue, there WAS a bulletin A03-038 issued to garages, it WAS Preventable, but Repairs for this known problem were at owner's expense ($2K+). HONDA'S reputation has suffered - I'm disappointed, not in CR-V, but in their management.
Favorite Features
Versatile and able to carry a variety of people and things. Can pack a Lot of odd shaped stuff in it. Great in snow - let the AWD do it's thing (it's Not a FWD. Mileage for it's size and versatility is nice. Easy to drive, easy to work on by weekend mechanics, but get Shop manuals and look online.
Suggested Improvements
A road noise package would be nice. **Burned Valves/Gen 1 B20Z engine issue 1997-2001: Honda should do right by owners who followed valve adj specs, and Burned exhaust valves (Service bulletin A03-038). Honda REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ROLE IN THIS issue. Next vehicle purchase will be not Honda.