Used 2001 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

I Love My 2001 Honda CR-V!
By Alinda Uzel

2001 Honda CR-V LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a joy to own. I drive in 6 rural counties with my work, it handles curves and all kinds of roads/weather perfectly. It gets good gas mileage, but in mountainous areas it would be nice to have a little more "zip" to the doo-dah! The next year's model had a larger engine. This is a neat looking, spiffy little reliable vehicle that makes me happy to drive it. It looks more expensive than it was and maintains its good looks. I'll probably buy another one, I like it that much - and I'm over 60!

The "look" - looks classy, expensive. Has maintained good mileage stats. Comfortable even on long trips. Electronic unlocking device is wonderful. Have had no maintenence problems except regular type.

Would have been nice to have electonically adjusted seats. The only interior choice was black and this makes it too dark.

Good dash, questionable engine
By Hondabuyer

2001 Honda CR-V SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

You have to wonder what Honda was thinking with the engine-transmission combination in this SUV. This vehicle is so underpowered that it is almost dangerous on the freeway. You don't have enough extra power to avoid potential accidents (i.e. truckers changing lanes into you, ect.). 3rd and 4th gear are too close together requiring the vehicle to frequently shift down to 2nd gear simply to travel up and over overpasses or to maintain speed on hills. The result is rather poor fuel economy in freeway driving (25 MPG or less). Engine in my vehicle is plagued by misfires and a worn cylinder head. Some rust already visible below side windows. The dash doesn't rattle. That's worth something.

Good interior layout. Column shifter frees-up space on the interior. Good cargo capacity. AWD very useful in the snow.

Think about the power-train in the context of real world driving. Improve seat comfort.

My CRV
By patter

2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the confidence I have in this company and vehicle. Downsides: cruise control not as smooth as it could be. Larger tires--need to keep inflated to 45-55 PSI. Leads to less than smooth ride. I LOVE the rear window feature. Nice console. Everything easily in reach. Comfortable on long drives. Mileage good--very consistent.

The "pop" open rear window for loading and unloading.

Cup holders in front seat. One size does not fit all. Rubber flaps would help. Pass through in front seat unnecessary--would rather have console.

minor items
By P

2001 Honda CR-V SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I like my CRV. Perfect for a small family car. I can drive 3 or 4 teenage girls around in it comfortably. It's pretty good in the weather on wet or snowy roads. The clock is so high on the dashboard that it is always in the sunlight and I can never see what time it is during the day. I wouldn't want to use it if I lived in the mountains though. The engine is 4 cyl. and it does well until I have to go up hills. Then it seems to strain the transmission and no gears seem to be a good fit. Poor visiblility on the driver's side blind spot but if you get the mirrors just right you can compensate for it. But it is reliabile and fits in with my commuting suburban life style.

Happy with my car
By Julie

2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with this car. I've had it for 5 years, do all the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any problems. It gets around great in the snow w/the AWD. This is the longest I've ever owned a car and plan on keeping it until it dies. There's plenty of room to haul stuff in the back w/the seats down. I did pay to add a passenger seat arm rest. I agree with some of the other reviews about the seats (not comfortable on road trips) and the steering wheel needs to tilt down a bit more. But overall I like it and would recommend it to anyone.

All the cupholders, the picnic table (it's a great feature for tailgating at football games) and the side opening tailgate which makes getting my dogs in and out of the back of the car easier.

More supportive and comfortable seats, a passenger side armrest (which may have been added in later models) and more tilt on the steering wheel. I never could understand why there were armrests for both backseat passengers and the driver but not the frontseat passenger.