Used 2001 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

My CRV
By patter

2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the confidence I have in this company and vehicle. Downsides: cruise control not as smooth as it could be. Larger tires--need to keep inflated to 45-55 PSI. Leads to less than smooth ride. I LOVE the rear window feature. Nice console. Everything easily in reach. Comfortable on long drives. Mileage good--very consistent.

The "pop" open rear window for loading and unloading.

Cup holders in front seat. One size does not fit all. Rubber flaps would help. Pass through in front seat unnecessary--would rather have console.

minor items
By P

2001 Honda CR-V SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I like my CRV. Perfect for a small family car. I can drive 3 or 4 teenage girls around in it comfortably. It's pretty good in the weather on wet or snowy roads. The clock is so high on the dashboard that it is always in the sunlight and I can never see what time it is during the day. I wouldn't want to use it if I lived in the mountains though. The engine is 4 cyl. and it does well until I have to go up hills. Then it seems to strain the transmission and no gears seem to be a good fit. Poor visiblility on the driver's side blind spot but if you get the mirrors just right you can compensate for it. But it is reliabile and fits in with my commuting suburban life style.

Happy with my car
By Julie

2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with this car. I've had it for 5 years, do all the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any problems. It gets around great in the snow w/the AWD. This is the longest I've ever owned a car and plan on keeping it until it dies. There's plenty of room to haul stuff in the back w/the seats down. I did pay to add a passenger seat arm rest. I agree with some of the other reviews about the seats (not comfortable on road trips) and the steering wheel needs to tilt down a bit more. But overall I like it and would recommend it to anyone.

All the cupholders, the picnic table (it's a great feature for tailgating at football games) and the side opening tailgate which makes getting my dogs in and out of the back of the car easier.

More supportive and comfortable seats, a passenger side armrest (which may have been added in later models) and more tilt on the steering wheel. I never could understand why there were armrests for both backseat passengers and the driver but not the frontseat passenger.

Amazing car
By imovitz

2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car does everything well, and some things excellent. I have no problem driving in any kind of weather. It hauls all my music equipment and I have even towed a trailer with it. I will buy another when this wears out.

Overall appearance and amazing stability.

Could be better
By sean

2001 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A few things to like about it, but the balance tips towards the negative. I like the spacious interior, decent stereo, the ride (most terrain), reliability, and fuel economy. However, it seems designed for shorter people. There is plenty of head room, but the driving position and seat are not at all comfortable for my 5'11" frame. Driver's seat is brutal for anything more than a trip to the grocery store. Wheel tilt range is too limited. The armrest and door are useless for resting my arms: too narrow / hard. The ride over uneven road surfaces is nauseating since the front end bounces too much (replaced struts thinking they were bad). Torque steer, noisy engine, CD player needs more buffer.

SUV qualities, while still fuel efficient. The stereo, while not awe- inspiring, is decently balanced with clear and fairly crisp sound / bass. Fuel economy. Honda reliabilty (so far). Despite these positives I want to get rid of it.

Better seats / comfort. Better range on wheel tilt. Better suspension. More buffer in CD player (skips over bad bumps). Rattle in rear of vehicle (traced to rear door "shock"). Torque steer. Vibration on acceleration (probably bad motor mount - dealer convinced me to flush the Tran fluid - stupid)