Used 2001 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Bobsled on wheels
By Guy L.

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned an 87 Caprice and wondered why all the CR-Vs would toot their horns in snowy conditions. This thing can get up in go in any condition and handles excellent and gets up to 24MPG! It truly is a bobsled with wheels.

Favorite Features

Slip sensing all wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a premium sound system option

Great Vehicle
By Nishbot

2001 Honda CR-V SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CRV. Every time I turn my key, I know the car will start. Bought the car at 40000mi, now has 100000mi. Not one problem since I owned it (hope I don't jinx it now). A great value. Typical Honda reliability/fuel economy. Highly recommend w/o hesitation.

Favorite Features

Leather Interior, AWD, fuel economy, handling.

Suggested Improvements

The 2001 version exterior looked plain. The 2002 models have addressed this, but still could use more improvements. More powerful engine would be nice.

Good Car
By sl

2001 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been most reliable, and that's why I bought it. Plenty of room for loading up during trips to Home Depot - an amazing amount of space for a small car. It's a 4 cylinder, so it has enough power but lacks zip. But the car is what it is. It's functional, not hip. One weird quirk, and maybe it's just me, but the car seems to be prone to having windshield cracks due to pebbles and rocks projected from other vehicles on the highway. I'm 6'2" and I find this car to be a comfortable ride, plenty of head room. The odometer reads 122,000 miles and I just had my first breakdown, a blown head gasket. Otherwise, the only problems have been basic stuff, battery, tires.

Favorite Features

Inexpensive, reliable, yet roomy.

Suggested Improvements

I opted to pass on the 4WD. What a mistake. This car is really bad in the snow and has difficulty getting traction when accelerating during wet conditions. Otherwise, few complaints. The cupholder had a removable insert for smaller cups, and that got promptly lost so drinks routinely spill.

I Love My 2001 Honda CR-V!
By Alinda Uzel

2001 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a joy to own. I drive in 6 rural counties with my work, it handles curves and all kinds of roads/weather perfectly. It gets good gas mileage, but in mountainous areas it would be nice to have a little more "zip" to the doo-dah! The next year's model had a larger engine. This is a neat looking, spiffy little reliable vehicle that makes me happy to drive it. It looks more expensive than it was and maintains its good looks. I'll probably buy another one, I like it that much - and I'm over 60!

Favorite Features

The "look" - looks classy, expensive. Has maintained good mileage stats. Comfortable even on long trips. Electronic unlocking device is wonderful. Have had no maintenence problems except regular type.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been nice to have electonically adjusted seats. The only interior choice was black and this makes it too dark.

Good dash, questionable engine
By Hondabuyer

2001 Honda CR-V SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

You have to wonder what Honda was thinking with the engine-transmission combination in this SUV. This vehicle is so underpowered that it is almost dangerous on the freeway. You don't have enough extra power to avoid potential accidents (i.e. truckers changing lanes into you, ect.). 3rd and 4th gear are too close together requiring the vehicle to frequently shift down to 2nd gear simply to travel up and over overpasses or to maintain speed on hills. The result is rather poor fuel economy in freeway driving (25 MPG or less). Engine in my vehicle is plagued by misfires and a worn cylinder head. Some rust already visible below side windows. The dash doesn't rattle. That's worth something.

Favorite Features

Good interior layout. Column shifter frees-up space on the interior. Good cargo capacity. AWD very useful in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Think about the power-train in the context of real world driving. Improve seat comfort.