Used 2001 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Honda engine issue
By Gloria

2001 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

56,000 miles check engine light came on. Found codes P0301,302, and p1399. Search revealed Honda sb 03-038. Probable cause 1 or more cylinders have receded into the cylinder head. Corrective action-inspect the valve clearance, if necessary replace cylinder head. Car brought to fox Honda in auburn, NY they were unwilling to remove the cylinder head. Wanted to replace ignition coil and do tune up for $500.00+. Advised me I could continue driving until car wouldn't start without harming engine. At home removed cylinder head and found 2 valves out of adjustment. This is a documented problem w/these engines. Honda response - the dealer I went to made a mistake for $100 more I could have tried another...

Originally purchased a Honda due to their good reputation...that was my favorite feature. After our experiences with this Honda I would not own another.

Since this incident I've repeatedly heard Honda owners main complaint is the service they receive at Honda dealerships. Honda really should look into educating their employees and owning up to their mistakes. No responsibility was taken by Honda for the misdiagnosis or the problem with this engine.

Bobsled on wheels
By Guy L.

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned an 87 Caprice and wondered why all the CR-Vs would toot their horns in snowy conditions. This thing can get up in go in any condition and handles excellent and gets up to 24MPG! It truly is a bobsled with wheels.

Slip sensing all wheel drive

Maybe a premium sound system option

Great Vehicle
By Nishbot

2001 Honda CR-V SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my CRV. Every time I turn my key, I know the car will start. Bought the car at 40000mi, now has 100000mi. Not one problem since I owned it (hope I don't jinx it now). A great value. Typical Honda reliability/fuel economy. Highly recommend w/o hesitation.

Leather Interior, AWD, fuel economy, handling.

The 2001 version exterior looked plain. The 2002 models have addressed this, but still could use more improvements. More powerful engine would be nice.

Good Car
By sl

2001 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been most reliable, and that's why I bought it. Plenty of room for loading up during trips to Home Depot - an amazing amount of space for a small car. It's a 4 cylinder, so it has enough power but lacks zip. But the car is what it is. It's functional, not hip. One weird quirk, and maybe it's just me, but the car seems to be prone to having windshield cracks due to pebbles and rocks projected from other vehicles on the highway. I'm 6'2" and I find this car to be a comfortable ride, plenty of head room. The odometer reads 122,000 miles and I just had my first breakdown, a blown head gasket. Otherwise, the only problems have been basic stuff, battery, tires.

Inexpensive, reliable, yet roomy.

I opted to pass on the 4WD. What a mistake. This car is really bad in the snow and has difficulty getting traction when accelerating during wet conditions. Otherwise, few complaints. The cupholder had a removable insert for smaller cups, and that got promptly lost so drinks routinely spill.

I Love My 2001 Honda CR-V!
By Alinda Uzel

2001 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a joy to own. I drive in 6 rural counties with my work, it handles curves and all kinds of roads/weather perfectly. It gets good gas mileage, but in mountainous areas it would be nice to have a little more "zip" to the doo-dah! The next year's model had a larger engine. This is a neat looking, spiffy little reliable vehicle that makes me happy to drive it. It looks more expensive than it was and maintains its good looks. I'll probably buy another one, I like it that much - and I'm over 60!

The "look" - looks classy, expensive. Has maintained good mileage stats. Comfortable even on long trips. Electronic unlocking device is wonderful. Have had no maintenence problems except regular type.

Would have been nice to have electonically adjusted seats. The only interior choice was black and this makes it too dark.

• SUV