2001 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great vehicle, but ONE bad experience
By Brian on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had 2 Hondas in my lifetime. A CR-V wasn't what I wanted, but I decided to try it, vs. a car. Overall a great time. Short/long trips, hauled people and animals, towed trailers, packed it full, traveled in heat and snow (Great!). Overall reliable vehicle. I've also enjoyed working on it (weekend mechanic) using Honda and Chilton manuals, saved some money. HOWEVER, I'm one of many victims of burned valves (Gen1 engines). Owners were NOT notified of this issue, there WAS a bulletin A03-038 issued to garages, it WAS Preventable, but Repairs for this known problem were at owner's expense ($2K+). HONDA'S reputation has suffered - I'm disappointed, not in CR-V, but in their management.

Endlessly Loving My 2001 CR-V
By pjcook1 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

An excellent vehicle, excellent manufacturing, zero defects since day 1. Very good in snow/rain. Love the styling & feel. Good visibility. This is NOT a muscle car, poor acceleration to highway speed, difficulty getting out of its own way BUT hey, when you're doing 65 you're doing 65. Wind noise at speed. OK gas mileage 16-18 city; 20-21 hwy. Great ground clearance, jump curbs all the time to park or get out of minor physical jams (not always to the Mrs. liking).

Love my CR-V
By Jan on 08/02/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've every owned. My only complaint is that I like the style of the 2001 and that is not the style they are making now. I live in Alaska and drive in all sorts of weather. I will buy another one when this one wears out.

What happened to Honda reliability?
By B20ZFailed on 10/21/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Please do research on the valve/cylinder head failures that plague the 1997-2001 CRV. Mine burned a valve at 123k miles. This is a prevalent issue that will literally cost thousands of dollars to replace. If I would have known this I would have never bought this truck.

Great purchase
By Deborah on 07/19/09 20:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my oldest daughter with 60,000 miles and it now has 146,300 and is still going strong. I have always done all the recommended maintenance on it. The AWD feature is good in the snow or rain. It has lasted longer than I ever expected and has been a great investment. I would recommend it to anyone.

Keeps going and going almost 200,000 miles
By fred scott on 06/02/09 08:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased it new back in March of 2001. It is the best reliable little truck I have ever owned. With regular oil changes this baby will go forever. Change the timing belt at 100,000 miles and that clunking noise in the front end is minor - just replace the sway bar end links and bushings, no more clunking. I will not part with the crv; great in the rain and snow with high ground clearance. Recommend Yokohama trz tires... Buy it used, you don't even need a warranty - great reliability.

Very reliable but a bit uncomfortable
By shawn on 06/17/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car this one. With oil changes it goes and goes with only minor repairs. I will definitely buy a Honda again just not a CRV. Our kids are getting older and the back seat is the most uncomfortable rear seat I have ever sat in. The kids hate it! Very poor rear seat design. Other than that a good little car. Perfect for two people.

Bobsled on wheels
By Guy L. on 03/13/08 11:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned an 87 Caprice and wondered why all the CR-Vs would toot their horns in snowy conditions. This thing can get up in go in any condition and handles excellent and gets up to 24MPG! It truly is a bobsled with wheels.

My CRV
By patter on 11/11/06 05:25 AM (PST)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the confidence I have in this company and vehicle. Downsides: cruise control not as smooth as it could be. Larger tires--need to keep inflated to 45-55 PSI. Leads to less than smooth ride. I LOVE the rear window feature. Nice console. Everything easily in reach. Comfortable on long drives. Mileage good--very consistent.

Happy with my car
By Julie on 05/11/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with this car. I've had it for 5 years, do all the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any problems. It gets around great in the snow w/the AWD. This is the longest I've ever owned a car and plan on keeping it until it dies. There's plenty of room to haul stuff in the back w/the seats down. I did pay to add a passenger seat arm rest. I agree with some of the other reviews about the seats (not comfortable on road trips) and the steering wheel needs to tilt down a bit more. But overall I like it and would recommend it to anyone.