Used 2001 Honda CR-V EX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great vehicle, but ONE bad experience
By Brian

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had 2 Hondas in my lifetime. A CR-V wasn't what I wanted, but I decided to try it, vs. a car. Overall a great time. Short/long trips, hauled people and animals, towed trailers, packed it full, traveled in heat and snow (Great!). Overall reliable vehicle. I've also enjoyed working on it (weekend mechanic) using Honda and Chilton manuals, saved some money. HOWEVER, I'm one of many victims of burned valves (Gen1 engines). Owners were NOT notified of this issue, there WAS a bulletin A03-038 issued to garages, it WAS Preventable, but Repairs for this known problem were at owner's expense ($2K+). HONDA'S reputation has suffered - I'm disappointed, not in CR-V, but in their management.

Versatile and able to carry a variety of people and things. Can pack a Lot of odd shaped stuff in it. Great in snow - let the AWD do it's thing (it's Not a FWD. Mileage for it's size and versatility is nice. Easy to drive, easy to work on by weekend mechanics, but get Shop manuals and look online.

A road noise package would be nice. **Burned Valves/Gen 1 B20Z engine issue 1997-2001: Honda should do right by owners who followed valve adj specs, and Burned exhaust valves (Service bulletin A03-038). Honda REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ROLE IN THIS issue. Next vehicle purchase will be not Honda.

Endlessly Loving My 2001 CR-V
By pjcook1

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

An excellent vehicle, excellent manufacturing, zero defects since day 1. Very good in snow/rain. Love the styling & feel. Good visibility. This is NOT a muscle car, poor acceleration to highway speed, difficulty getting out of its own way BUT hey, when you're doing 65 you're doing 65. Wind noise at speed. OK gas mileage 16-18 city; 20-21 hwy. Great ground clearance, jump curbs all the time to park or get out of minor physical jams (not always to the Mrs. liking).

Styling, open interior, rugged exterior paint, ground clearance, internal capacity

Desperately needs a bigger engine - you're killing me with the under power 4 banger.

Love my CR-V
By Jan

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've every owned. My only complaint is that I like the style of the 2001 and that is not the style they are making now. I live in Alaska and drive in all sorts of weather. I will buy another one when this one wears out.

Boxy style allows you to hold lots of stuff in the back. I've camped in it, filled it with furniture, you name it. It is comfortable for a short person like me too:)

Thought the table in the back would come in handy but in 10 years, I've never used it. Nice idea if I would ever remember I have it back there.

What happened to Honda reliability?
By B20ZFailed

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Please do research on the valve/cylinder head failures that plague the 1997-2001 CRV. Mine burned a valve at 123k miles. This is a prevalent issue that will literally cost thousands of dollars to replace. If I would have known this I would have never bought this truck.

Smart interior packaging, can hold a surprising amount of stuff.

Known cylinder head problem that Honda refuses do do anything about.

Great purchase
By Deborah

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my oldest daughter with 60,000 miles and it now has 146,300 and is still going strong. I have always done all the recommended maintenance on it. The AWD feature is good in the snow or rain. It has lasted longer than I ever expected and has been a great investment. I would recommend it to anyone.

Interior cleans up nicely and is well designed.

Better stereo.