Used 2000 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Transmission going
By mary

2000 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

76,000 miles, had new brakes at 50,000, now need new transmission. What's going on? I thought Honda cars lasted forever. What causes transmissions to go? What will the car do when the transmission goes? This car needs more zip & doesn't like sharp turns. I can feel the tendency to turn over.

Favorite Features

cargo space

Suggested Improvements

flat cargo space with back seats down, more zip, road noise

CR-V almost killed us
By dld1672

2000 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD

I am very disappointed with my CR-V. As a matter of fact it was just towed away this morning. It broke down on the highway last Fri while I was doing 65 mph with my 9 yr old in the car. We could have been killed. The car was inspected last month by the dealership and it passed. This is the final straw. The car has been slowly falling apart. The glove compartment does not open. The rear door does not open. The seatbelts lock up for no reason and choke you. The clock broke long ago. The radio has stopped working at times. The key fob would not open the door for about a year and now that works again. It had to be opened using the key. It's been one thing after another.

Favorite Features

Best feature is fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Needs improvement in every circumstance except fuel economy. The car is falling apart. I do not care for the new models at all. Why make them so small?

Excellent Small SUV
By mar83

2000 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, a truly excellent car. Fuel efficient for an AWD SUV, versatile, comfortable, and fun to drive. The engine, though somewhat underpowered, is still responsive and the CR-V is fun to drive, particularly with the manual transmission. I bought it in 2005 with 68,000 miles and now have 136,000 on it, and I have only had to fix one thing that wasn't standard maintenance (driver's side power window). Highly recommended for anyone who wants a reliable, safe, and fun small SUV. Have gotten about 25 mpg overall mileage-wise, which isn't bad considering the AWD.

Favorite Features

Reliable, stylish, comfortable, and fun to drive. Very useful and practical. Good for day to day running and long trips (I've done 800 mile trips with great comfort). Great car overall.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows are weak and the engine could use a little more power (although I've always found it to be adequate). The main issue I've found is that Honda parts and accessories are quite overpriced and getting harder to find for this year--the Honda dealerships can be somewhat arrogant sometimes.

Buy this car!
By Brian & Judy

2000 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this car new in 2000. I had owned Honda cars in the past and trusted them to be reliable. As of today (5 May 08), my trusty CR-V has nearly 150,000 mile on it and still runs perfectly. All I have done is change all the fluids regularly and drive it gently. I changed the timing belt at 100K, but other than that, it has never been in the shop for anything. Still has the original brakes. Paint is still in good shape, too. I like the fabric seats. Tons of space in the rear. Easy to clean. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but I don't think this one will ever wear out.

Favorite Features

Good sound system. rear seats very easy to fold down and that leaves LOTS of cargo space. Lots of ground clearance (easy to change my own oil).

Suggested Improvements

Engine needs a few (actually, lots more) more pony's (I think that has been addressed since 2000, though). The body seems to be made of tin foil, so try to avoid hail storms. Move the oil filter to the front of the engine.

My Crv
By Gabe v

2000 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We bought a CR-V the frist of January in 2000. We have had it ever since the car is just amazing. It's fuel efficient, looks great, has lots of low end torque, the smoothers ride and just the reassurance of Honda quality. We just bought the lx model nothing special, front wheel drive not the real time. But I have gone over hills and rocks and steep slopes and everything in this car and not once has it ever failed.

Favorite Features

the safety of front wheel drive and oh my god the 3rd gear in this can takes you up to 100! love it

Suggested Improvements

I put 06 Civic rims and switched over from 205's to 215's. The new tires and rims make it higher and set the tires out wider. And man o man it looks good. Also a k&n n air filter helped with some of the horsepower. A wise investment.