2000 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great SUV!!
By tallchris01 on 03/25/14 11:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our CR-V in 2011 with 115K miles on it for a steal. Since then we've taken half a dozen long trips in it (900 - 2000 miles each) without a single complaint. It is surprisingly comfortable and big enough for our family of 4 (and I'm 6'5") and a trunk full of stuff. Looks great, easy to clean, 27mpg on the hwy. We've put 53K miles on it in less than 3 years. Maintenance costs are very reasonable.

Fantastic Car!
By SalinaBeamer on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I had this car for 10 years (176,000 miles) and had absolutely NO problems. I changed oil every 3K miles but never had it tuned up in 10 years. I gave it to my daughter in law where it will have a new life. Fantastic car!

Love it
By lennie grooms on 04/18/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Me and my family love are CR-V it is the best car we have ever had. There is over 143,000 miles on it and we have had only one problem and that is with one of are window motors on the passenger side. When you start the engine you have to stick your ear on the hood to hear the engine running. The only maintenance we have done on it was routine. We love this car, my own mother loves are car too, even though she only rode in it once.

Happy with my CR-V
By Jarthan on 03/31/10 14:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love the versatility of the CR-V, the AWD capability, and the fuel economy. I bought mine used with 90K miles, replacing a leased Jeep Liberty. The CR-V has a smoother ride and uses a lot less gas. It now has 114K miles, but runs good and looks great. The 2000 cc motor is very reliable, but is also very underpowered. That was corrected in 2002. Still, I am a happy CR-V owner and want to upgrade to a 2005 or 2006; no car is perfect. I believe this car has another 60-70K miles left in it.

Burnt Valves / Defective Head
By qcar on 10/26/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My CRV burned a valve at around 65,000 miles. Not what I expected from a Honda! Manual lists 90,000 for valve adjustment. I called the dealer and they offered a high price to repair but no goodwill and no acknowledgment of a defect or revised maintenance schedule. Now at 125,000 miles I have stalling and surging problems due to a defective head design - leading to valve problems. I visited the dealer ($3800 estimate to fix) and called American Honda and got no satisfaction. Almost every CRV driver I talk to has had some valve or head problem. Why no recall? Google Honda CRV burnt valve - this is no rare occurance.

We Love Our CRV
By B on 04/14/09 14:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

We owned our Pre Owned CRV for 6 years and beat the heck out of it. Yes, it is true that the clock gave out years ago, and the cup holders are so shallow that your coffee gets tossed on the floor and rolls around down there once in awhile, and there is that little key problem on the driver's side door, but otherwise this car has had no major repairs, it always starts and is eager to go many miles. We really love our CRV and we would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Ignore the owner's manual
By EAB on 10/28/08 08:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

One caveat. If you follow the owner's manual on this model, you WILL have problems and perhaps MAJOR problems. Some idiot decided that US CR-V's (98-2001 only) get a 105,000 valve interval in the owner's manual while all other countries' manuals state 30,000 miles. If you attempt to go to 105K without the valves adjusted, the engine may not make it. Ask Honda if you don't believe me. Instead, have the local Honda Dealer run the valves every 30,000K. If you are not sure if this has been done, get it DONE ASAP. While you're there, have 'em do the rear 4wd fluid as well as they lied about that one as well. It needs to be done every 30K.

Transmission going
By mary on 08/19/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

76,000 miles, had new brakes at 50,000, now need new transmission. What's going on? I thought Honda cars lasted forever. What causes transmissions to go? What will the car do when the transmission goes? This car needs more zip & doesn't like sharp turns. I can feel the tendency to turn over.

Excellent Small SUV
By mar83 on 08/09/08 20:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, a truly excellent car. Fuel efficient for an AWD SUV, versatile, comfortable, and fun to drive. The engine, though somewhat underpowered, is still responsive and the CR-V is fun to drive, particularly with the manual transmission. I bought it in 2005 with 68,000 miles and now have 136,000 on it, and I have only had to fix one thing that wasn't standard maintenance (driver's side power window). Highly recommended for anyone who wants a reliable, safe, and fun small SUV. Have gotten about 25 mpg overall mileage-wise, which isn't bad considering the AWD.

Buy this car!
By Brian & Judy on 05/05/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this car new in 2000. I had owned Honda cars in the past and trusted them to be reliable. As of today (5 May 08), my trusty CR-V has nearly 150,000 mile on it and still runs perfectly. All I have done is change all the fluids regularly and drive it gently. I changed the timing belt at 100K, but other than that, it has never been in the shop for anything. Still has the original brakes. Paint is still in good shape, too. I like the fabric seats. Tons of space in the rear. Easy to clean. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but I don't think this one will ever wear out.