1999 Honda CR-V Consumer Review: The Beast

1999 Honda CR-V - Consumer Review

The Beast
By caitthegreat on

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

My friends call this car "the beast." It can go anywhere, accommodate anyone, and it just keeps on chugging. I bought it in 2004 with about 70,000 miles on it, and have since added about 100,000 more. It's reliable as a commuter car, but it's also great for road trips. Before I purchased it I read a review saying the timing belt might need to be replaced at 75,000 miles, so I had the dealership take care of that. Since then, the only problem I've had is that I needed a new radiator a year ago. I just got a tune up this week and it runs amazingly. I've spoken with dealers who say they rarely see problems with CR-Vs. This car has been good to me, it was a great investment.

This car can take a beating. I've been rear ended twice and in both cases the other car was damaged heavily and my trusty CR-V was left with barely a scratch (aside from a torn tire cover). My sister hit a deer on the freeway while driving it and there was no damage.

As others have said, it doesn't accelerate well on inclines. Load it up with heavy camping equipment and a bunch of people and you probably won't be passing anyone on the hills.