The Beast
By caitthegreat on
1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV
My friends call this car "the beast." It can go anywhere, accommodate anyone, and it just keeps on chugging. I bought it in 2004 with about 70,000 miles on it, and have since added about 100,000 more. It's reliable as a commuter car, but it's also great for road trips. Before I purchased it I read a review saying the timing belt might need to be replaced at 75,000 miles, so I had the dealership take care of that. Since then, the only problem I've had is that I needed a new radiator a year ago. I just got a tune up this week and it runs amazingly. I've spoken with dealers who say they rarely see problems with CR-Vs. This car has been good to me, it was a great investment.
Favorite Features
This car can take a beating. I've been rear ended twice and in both cases the other car was damaged heavily and my trusty CR-V was left with barely a scratch (aside from a torn tire cover). My sister hit a deer on the freeway while driving it and there was no damage.
Suggested Improvements
As others have said, it doesn't accelerate well on inclines. Load it up with heavy camping equipment and a bunch of people and you probably won't be passing anyone on the hills.