1999 Honda CR-V LX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

1999 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Transmission died after only 33,200...
By Oregon_CRV

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have been a huge Honda/Acura fan. In fact my family has owned four Honda/Acura's. We loved our 1999 CRV until two weeks ago when the automatic transmission died. The car is out of warranty it is over three years old, but we only have 33,200 miles on it. The dealer said it will cost $4900 to replace the trany. I have called Honda and am waiting to hear if they will offer a goodwill warranty extension. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Highly recommended
By native21

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

I leased mine, intending to give it up next week, but I have not found anything better for the value on the market, so I'm buying it! New CRV is so ugly I can't stand it, but I love my '99. Have never had a problem, and only do regular oil changes. Easy to maneuver, impressive amount of interior room--even more than bigger SUVs. I don't do serious off-roading, but I've taken it places I wouldn't want to drive a car with zero issues. Excellent for camping, and the picnic table...c'mon! What could be cooler?

Favorite Features

Having no big console in the middle...I love the open floor space. The picnic table and waterproof space underneath are great for the beach.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger arm rest is the biggest complaint from passengers. And yes, even after 3 years I continue to accidentally lock all doors when I'm trying to put the window down; controls need to get off the dash.

It Goes Forever With No Problems
By Beamer

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our '99 CRV new in January of 1999. We now have 102,000 miles without so much as a flat tire. Incredibly reliable vehicle, and it handles well. We purchased the 5-speed manual transmission version, and it is much peppier than the automatic transmission version. I highly recommend the 5-speed version. This vehicle gives you great visibility of the road, and handles like a car with the up-high feel of an SUV. Gas mileage has been real good and the Real- Time 4 WD works real well in the snow and ice.

Favorite Features

Headroom is incredible and well as storage area when both rear seats are down.

Suggested Improvements

Get the window controls off the dashboard and back where they belong.

Love My CR-V
By Mark C.

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

The Honda CR-V is the BEST small SUV on the market today.I have owned my CR-V for almost 3 years now and it has not had to go back to the dealership once for any kind of problem.I feel that it is the best value for it's class.If I have one complaint, it is the cheap Bridestone Dueler HT tires that come as standard equipment on most CR-V's. The tires produced terrible road noise. I just recently put Michelin X one's on my CR-V and the difference was like night and day.The ride is so much smoother and quiter.If you own a CR-V, do yourself a favor and trash the Bridgestone's.I am in love all over again with my CR-V.

Favorite Features

It's a Honda! Gas milage,room,reliability,and picnic table.I also think it has plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

None with the vehicle itself. Honda should include better OEM tires on their 2002 models to improve road noise and comfort.

1999 Honda CRV
By Steph

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD

I've driven this car for 3 years with no maintenance other than oil changes and it has been extremely reliable. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

The AWD is automatic and very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest on the passenger side front seat.

Best Car I've Owned
By LFPV

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

This is a great vehicle - reliable, built well, great mileage, no maintenance problems throughout the almost 3 years I've had it. Not too big, not too small - Just Right!!! Granted it may not be the most powerful, and it's not a serious off- road contender, but I must admit these were not important issues for me personally. If you want a little more than a car to drive around in, the CR-V does the job well.

Favorite Features

"Roomy" driver area, plenty of cupholders, all the little storage compartments. And I have to mention Keyless Entry - though I realize many vehicles today offer them, but some still do not. I couldn't live without it.

Suggested Improvements

Some kind of covered storage for CD's and cassettes. An armrest for the front passenger seat would be nice. And I guess I should add a little more horsepower would be a plus, though I'm doing fine with what I have.

Great Mini SUV
By TeresaCRV

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love this mini SUV and am very happy with the cars interior, exterior, reliability, value. It's excellent to take camping or for skiing trips.

Favorite Features

Lots of space for everything, thought out interior and exterior. Good mileage. Extremely reliable--I've had it for 3 years and not a single problem.

Suggested Improvements

Add lumbar support to driver's chair Make interior lights "smarter" so they stay on until you actually exit car.

Great Ride/Low Power
By Yardie

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Great car to own. Fun ride. Sluggish on speed because of low power.

Favorite Features

Looks and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine and switching of gears with the automatic transmission.

honda crv is number 1
By leighgadek

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

great vehicle. there is nothing else to say - it's a honda...

2 1/2 Years and Counting!
By SherylD

1999 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

This was the first new car I ever bought and I could not be more pleased! I got caught in a heavy snowstorm in Tulsa Christmas of 2000 and the way the CR-V handled was better than the 4X4 truck I had been driving. I watched Jeeps, Explorers, etc. slide everywhere but my Honda never missed a beat. Additionally, other than general maintenance, no work has been necessary. If and when my CR-V ever wears out, I will replace it with another. I'm curious to se if they are really planning to produce a hybrid CR- V.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, looks great, handles incredibly well in all conditions, good gas milage, my 6'3" son is comfortable in every seat, I can load up my son, my two dogs, and everything needed for a road trip and not be cramped.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rests on the passenger seat are needed, the engine could be a little more powerful (what about a 6 cylinder option?), the headrests are uncomfortable.