1999 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Love at 1st site
By 300K + on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

This was the 1st car I bought brand new & wanted to keep. 11 yrs later & 300k + miles she runs like a charm, very little maintenance, brakes were still good after 120k. I wish they never changed the body style after 2001.

CRV review
By RAW on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this CR-V with 26K miles and am now at 190K and have not had to do much other than oil changes, occasional brakes, tires, etc. It still runs very good. My only annoyances are that the door locks work intermittently using the remote, so I have to use the key. Also, lumbar support is almost non-existent causing fatigue on longer trips.

The Beast
By caitthegreat on 07/16/10 15:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

My friends call this car "the beast." It can go anywhere, accommodate anyone, and it just keeps on chugging. I bought it in 2004 with about 70,000 miles on it, and have since added about 100,000 more. It's reliable as a commuter car, but it's also great for road trips. Before I purchased it I read a review saying the timing belt might need to be replaced at 75,000 miles, so I had the dealership take care of that. Since then, the only problem I've had is that I needed a new radiator a year ago. I just got a tune up this week and it runs amazingly. I've spoken with dealers who say they rarely see problems with CR-Vs. This car has been good to me, it was a great investment.

Love it- but hate things as well!
By Orangegirl on 07/09/10 19:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Sold our 97' Rav4 for this, comparing both, I'd lean towards the Rav for my personal use. Don't get me wrong the CR-V is a GREAT SUV, but I hate the fact you can't open the back window/door manually, you need the remote or button inside the vehicle. VERY ANNOYING!! The space in the back, though sufficient, is lacking in height, because of a useless " picnic table". My Rav I could fit my bike in it and a dog, plus when yard sailing buy a snow blower or something else higher and fit NO PROBLEM. But all in all this a good car, and I do love Hondas, will only buy Honda or Toyota, however I do miss my Rav.

99 LX 2WD "Froger"
By John on 06/04/10 16:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

LOVE this car. 99 Clover Green 2WD auto. Driven her for 6 years after trading in my new off the lot '01 Dodge Dakota. Just put on another set of tires. Went up to 225/65/16's. Fun car to drive. Small, nimble, and green. Reminds me of the Frogger game in traffic. Not too fast up hills but she wasn't built for that. 26 plus on highway trips, 20 plus round town. Just pasted smog again with flying colors.

I love my Honda, still feels new
By wetpawsx8 on 02/13/10 11:58 AM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car new. I had an Explorer and it was just too big for me. The CRV fit me perfectly. I have never been sorry. Usual maintenance has been done, I change oil every 3,000 miles. I now have 174,000 miles, most parts are original. Did the drive belt and water pump as preventive maintenance. original brakes, exhaust. I bought slightly oversized tires and have really been happy with that decision, they seem to wear longer. I drive in new fallen snow without a problem. Have never been stranded. I'm still getting about 24 mpg. The interior is still in good condition and I haul my two dogs with me often. I hope to get another 174,000 miles before I would give it up.

Convenient Runabout Vehicle
By Jesse S on 01/30/10 09:05 AM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 99 CR-V EX used in 2009 with under 60k on the odo. It was in excellent condition and had been well cared for. After driving it for 6 months I'm extremely pleased with it. Before buying, I read the user reviews on this site, and I'm happy I did. They steered me to a great little vehicle. Maintenance tips: make sure you have the rear differential fluid changed regularly. Have the valves checked for adjustment periodically (I've read many complaints from people whose valves got out of whack and wrecked their engines). Replace the crummy Bridgestone Dueler tires (I got Dunlop SP60s and am happy with them).

Great ride
By DP on 12/09/09 18:38 PM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

Bought with 28k in 2002. Now has 125k. Super reliable. Very little maintenance. Best car we ever had. Great in snow. MPG around 28-30.

Great ride , Honda all the way.
By dar on 08/03/09 04:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this CRV 2 months ago with over 160,000 kms. I had no fear as a co- worker has one with 344,000 kms on hers. Suspension is great, rides so smooth, seats are comfortable, Handles nicely, and gas mileage is much better than I expected, better than the protege5 that I just got rid of. Looking forward to the Newfoundland winter to try out the AWD. Will never be without a Honda again. Superior quality, a name to trust.

Love This SUV
By Linda on 07/27/09 07:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I love my CR-V. Going on 10 years old now and have had no major issues with it. Have only replaced battery and tires. That's it. Have driven in 12 inches of unploughed snow with no problem. I don't even want to trade it in and would keep it even longer but 10 years old, so it's time, especially with the tax incentives on new purchases.