1999 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Excellent Reliability, Great Performance
By kopper65 on 03/18/14 10:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Bought this car used two years ago (2012) with about 80k miles on it. It had had the timing belt replaced already, so I felt pretty confident that this car would last a while before any major mechanical failures, and, so far I've been right. Absolutely no problems in the two years I've owned it, just normal maintenance costs, including new tires. I really love how it drives... it's peppy, handles excellently well, and I love driving it in the snow. I sometimes wish it had a bit more power for acceleration, but not often. I typically just drive it at the speed limit and see gas mileage in the low 20s. Overall I've been very happy with the car and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon!

Best Car Ever
By dustygirl on 07/02/13 13:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Wish they still made them like this. I am the original owner of my '99 honda crv and now have 191,000 miles on it. No major problems...Just put a new radiator on it about two years ago, the old one just had a pin-hole leak. The original battery lasted 9 years and was still okay, but I decided I'd just be safe rather than sorry and replaced it. Only issue I ever had with it was a bad clunking/thunking when going over even small uneven spots...it was a $12 fix and just needed a new bushing where the sway bar end link went in. We change the oil on time, and change the transmission fluid earlier than what it calls for. I've checked valve clearance and they've always been fine.

206,000 and going strong!!!!
By brewmyown on 05/09/13 12:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I have a 1999 CR-V EX with 206,000 miles and and its still going strong. As others have said, adjust the valves every 20K - 30K (or sooner since its so simple to do in less than an hour without much knowledge at all), change your fluids as scheduled (Transmission, motor oil, rear diff oil, etc.) and it will last a long, long time. Even the cloth interors on these cars lasts forever without showing wear. The vehicle is amazingly roomy inside.

One great little SUV!
By j1powell on 10/07/11 15:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I purchased this car used with only 7000 miles on it. I now have 126,500 miles on the odometer and have towed it at least 25,000 miles behind a motorhome. It has been serviced every 3000 to 4000 miles including all of the Manufacturer's recommended services. Other than a few door dings from several unconscious sloppy people, it looks great and drives great. What a workhorse it has been for us. Great to own!!

10 years and 130K miles still strong (with caveats)
By ruckerz on 08/30/11 20:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Bought this car new and still purrs like a puppy ten years later. Things to keep an eye out on [1] Automatic transmissions, don't forget to change that oil regularly. [2] I had to replace the radiator at around 90,000 miles. It developed a crack in the cheap plastic casing in the front right below the fill port. [3] Lube that rear differential regularly. You'll definitely need to change it if you notice that tight turns at low (5 mph) speeds causes a humming from the rear. [4] ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCES early and regularly! The cylinder heads on the first generation CRV's are soft aluminum and the valve seats can recede into the head cooking your valves and a very costly repair

Hands-down, simply the best ever
By surfer66 on 06/14/11 13:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We bought our silver '99 CRV new, and have done every maintenance step our trusted dealer has suggested. One major session, @ 100,000 M, cost $1200 another around $1000. This car hasn't skipped a beat, ever! It has been the most reliable, smoothest running car I've ever owned in the 49 years I've been driving. The 4-wheel on demand has never failed, and it was one of the first offered to the public at a reasonable price with that feature. Finally one small rust area has appeared. We we finally sell it and get a new CRV we hope it comes close to the quality of this one.

The Beast
By caitthegreat on 07/16/10 15:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

My friends call this car "the beast." It can go anywhere, accommodate anyone, and it just keeps on chugging. I bought it in 2004 with about 70,000 miles on it, and have since added about 100,000 more. It's reliable as a commuter car, but it's also great for road trips. Before I purchased it I read a review saying the timing belt might need to be replaced at 75,000 miles, so I had the dealership take care of that. Since then, the only problem I've had is that I needed a new radiator a year ago. I just got a tune up this week and it runs amazingly. I've spoken with dealers who say they rarely see problems with CR-Vs. This car has been good to me, it was a great investment.

99 LX 2WD "Froger"
By John on 06/04/10 16:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

LOVE this car. 99 Clover Green 2WD auto. Driven her for 6 years after trading in my new off the lot '01 Dodge Dakota. Just put on another set of tires. Went up to 225/65/16's. Fun car to drive. Small, nimble, and green. Reminds me of the Frogger game in traffic. Not too fast up hills but she wasn't built for that. 26 plus on highway trips, 20 plus round town. Just pasted smog again with flying colors.

Best Vehicle Owned
By Hugh on 08/17/08 17:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I bought this CR-V with 41,000 miles on it, and now have 156,000 on it. Change oil at 3000 miles always with a Honda dealer. Have had 2 minor brake jobs, set of struts, 1 radiator, 1 back-up light, timing belt with belts and water pump (at same time) these were not generic. My son is a cert. mech. wiper blades 2 times,2 tune ups, 3 sets of tires. Only lasting problem is in the hot Texas summers my auto tranny does not want to shift at certain times, it kinda hangs in gear until I give it more gas. I take it in and have the tranny oil changed (3 qt.) 3 times a year, that's a lot cheaper than an AT overhaul or new tranny. Gas mileage never less than 24 to 25 tollway/city.

1999 Honda CR-V
By kjipaulson on 01/20/06 11:47 AM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I have had my 1999 Honda CR-V for about 5 years. My main complaint about it is has no get up and go. When I hit the gas, it is pretty sluggish. I put some aftermarket things in it to improve gas mileage. It is a very reliable car, though, and it gets me where I want to go.